MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone knows how to tell the difference between a 1st or 2nd generation '2010 1090RR' ?

My bike was sold to me as the 2010 1090RR, however, the build date on my bike states it was built in March 2011 and it also says on the plate that it is a 'B52'. Does this mean it's B5 / 2nd generation?

If you have a '2010 1090RR' I would be interested to know what your build date is?

·
Registered
219 Posts
mines got a ZCGB520..i bought it new in october.on the reg doc it says type B5 varient 20 version AA what ever that all means.lol

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mines got a ZCGB520..i bought it new in october.on the reg doc it says type B5 varient 20 version AA what ever that all means.lol
and the build date?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got a picture of your build date?
I'm off to work, but will check tonight and get back to you...thank you so far ! :yo:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
mine has a date of 3-20-10. also a number of 3180. no clue what it is :smoking::smoking::jsm::jsm:
I think 3180 is the number of your bike off the assembly line for that year...

OK, my 1090RR is DEFINATELY a 2011 Year Model - it even states this on my Registration Certificate :wtf: :yo::)

And here is how YOU can determine your bike's details:

I could not find the specific MVAgusta Italy VIN 'decoder', but this 'decoder' below is pretty accurate (and I have searched many different web pages, including this forum, for the info below - BUT I do NOT take any responsibility for errors ! :smoking:)...

Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) are used to uniquely identify motor vehicles. Prior to 1980 there was not an accepted standard for these numbers, so different manufacturers used different formats. Modern day VINs consist of 17 characters that do not include the letters I, O or Q.

You can find your VIN on the RHS top of your steering column.

Write down your 17 characters/numbers and use the information below:

My partial vin (for obvious reasons) is:

Z = Made in Italy
C =Cagiva/MVAgusta
G = Multiple cylinder sport/street
B520A = Model B5, 2 seater?, 0=?, A=?
? = Check Digit
B = 2011
V = Varese
002??? = the number of my bike off the assembly line

VIN Characters
1 Country of origin
2 Vehicle manufacturer
3 Vehicle type
4-8 Vehicle information
9 VIN check digit (This is a VIN accuracy check digit, verifying the previous VIN numbers)
10 Model year
11 Assembly plant
12-17 Serial number of the vehicle (as it rolls off the assembly line)

VIN 1: Country of origin
1 = USA
K = Korea
2 = Canada
S = England
3 = Mexico
T = Germany
4 = USA
V = France
5 = USA
W = Germany
6 = Australia
Y = Finland, Sweden
9 = Mexico
Z = Italy
J = Japan

VIN 2: Vehicle manufacturer/make

VIN 3: Vehicle type or manufacturing division

VIN 4-8: Vehicle information
(engine size, body style, fuel type, model, etc.)

VIN 9: Check digit

VIN 10: Model year
J = 1988
Y = 2000
K = 1989
1 = 2001
L = 1990
2 = 2002
M = 1991
3 = 2003
N = 1992
4 = 2004
P = 1993
5 = 2005
R = 1994
6 = 2006
S = 1995
7 = 2007
T = 1996
8= 2008
V = 1997
9 = 2009
W = 1998
A = 2010
X = 1999
B = 2011

VIN 11: Assembly Plant

VIN 12-17: Vehicle serial number as it rolls off the assembly line

(I hope this helps! :guitarist)

Sources (thank you!): MVagusta.net; vinguard.org; wikipedia; vinnumbersearch.com; checkitout.com.au; ISO3779 and ISO3780.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The build date etc plate is an Australian thing, I certainly never had anything like it on my bikes in the UK.
Are you certain? I thought that every motor vehicle has a VIN ???

·
Registered
219 Posts
mines a 2010 then as ive got an A...but on the registration cert its a 2011.i gather theres no difference between the 10 and 11.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
mines a 2010 then as ive got an A...but on the registration cert its a 2011.i gather theres no difference between the 10 and 11.
I don't (yet :naughty:) know the difference between the 2010 and 2011 build. This is what I am trying to ascertain.

I am hoping the 2011 model (2nd generation?) 'fixed' the hub issue, the front lens falling off issue, the rear-view mirrors falling off issue, etc....

If (and when) I find out, I will post on the forum...

In Australia, the RTA (Roads and Traffic Autority) would class your bike as a 2010 model, as they base the year model on the manufacture date. (EDITED later: NOT correct, sorry - they base it on the compliance date)

What's interesting is that in 2011, my bike was the 2,000+ bike to come off the assembly line....that's good news because it means they are selling bikes ! (or at least making bikes !:))

·
Registered
219 Posts
from what ive been told there is no difference and there isnt a 1st/2nd generation.i would have thought the 2nd generation would be the 2012 bikes as there are obvious differences.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
from what ive been told there is no difference and there isnt a 1st/2nd generation.i would have thought the 2nd generation would be the 2012 bikes as there are obvious differences.
maybe...I am going to put my bike side by side with a 2010 model this weekend, and have a real good look...

(recently I ordered some '2010' parts from MVAgusta, and they didn't fit my bike....:wtf:...this may have been due to many reasons - the carbon mould was 'out' or it may have been parts from an earlier model..I have no idea...)

Also, if things like the hubs, mirrors and front lens were falling off the earlier (2010) models, you would like to believe that the 2011 model has fixed these issues...although I can confirm that the hubs look the same...

Will let you know after this weekend, as a few of us are catching up for a ride in Sydney and there are a few 2010 models that are going to be there.:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
You guys can really complicate some things.

First of all; DON'T call them generations. These are not generations, merelly a ''facelift'' or improvements over the model year.

''New'' one is called RR 1090, the old one was 1090RR.

''New'' one was presented at EICMA 2011, that is early November of this year. So, there is no way any of you could already have the new one. They will be built with 2012 mark in the VIN.

''New'' one has 156 hp compared to 144 on the ''old''(different cams, fuel map,...). The new one has different plastic bit that covers the water radiator. The old one has 2 piece, new one has one 1 piece, just like 920 from the beginning.

Bikes can be built in 2010 and have 2011 VIN. My father bought a 910R that had 2007 VIN, in early July of 2006.

I seem to notice that our overseas friends (US or Aus.) are much more interested in model year this and that and on and on...

·
Registered
219 Posts

First of all; DON'T call them generations. These are not generations, merelly a ''facelift'' or improvements over the model year.

''New'' one was presented at EICMA 2011, that is early November of this year. So, there is no way any of you could already have the new one. They will be built with 2012 mark in the VIN.

''New'' one has 156 hp compared to 144 on the ''old''(different cams, fuel map,...). The new one has different plastic bit that covers the water radiator. The old one has 2 piece, new one has one 1 piece, just like 920 from the beginning.

Bikes can be built in 2010 and have 2011 VIN. My father bought a 910R that had 2007 VIN, in early July of 2006.

I seem to notice that our overseas friends (US or Aus.) are much more interested in model year this and that and on and on...

so pritty much what i thought then.lol

·
Registered
287 Posts
Are you certain? I thought that every motor vehicle has a VIN ???
Every vehicle has a vin but only in Australia do they have a 'compliance plate' which states the date it was 'complied to Australian standards'.

I'm not sure on the MV (have to check mine later) but on the BMW's the compliance date is at least 2 months after the build date because of shipping times, also when it is registered it goes on the compliance date not build. No where on a BMW is there a build date, I'm sure you could work it out from the Vin of course. This does mean that sometimes someone gets, lets say, a 2011 'complied' model but it was actually built in 2010. Confusing. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Mate, we are talking about the 2010 model - NOT the NEW 2012 model which has not even arrived yet...and will be the 1st generation 2012 model.

Regarding your father buying a 2007 VIN bike in July 2006 - this doesn't sound right to me - and I believe the RTA (the Roads and Traffic Authority in Australia) would consider it strange that a bike being registered for the first time in 2006 and having a 2007 VIN would be weird....

Also, the ISO VIN requirement for bikes is pretty stringent, with governing laws and rules that state that the VIN has to clearly define the vehicle being made. If your VIN states 2007 and you bought it in 2006 :wtf:, then this is not in line with the ISO standard.

And I can and will call bikes 1st or 2nd or 3rd generation for the same model and year vehicle, as you can buy the same model, but a later (with improvements) manufactured same model....freedom of speech most likely doesn't apply in Slovenia:stickpoke :) And I know a lot of people who call bikes, cars, etc.. as 1st, 2nd or 3rd generations of the same year model...and the car and bike manufacturers also use the same terms of speech.

So my 2010 1090RR is a 2nd generation 2010 model, built in 2011.:smoking:

My thread simply said stated that my bike was sold as a 2010 model, but the VIN and the Complaince Plate states otherwise and so do my Registration papers...:yo:

Nothing complicated in this thread, except your reply ! :stickpoke:)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts