MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for those who know: I went to replace my OEM mirror/LED signals with Syncro Bullet LED (front only) signals from Motovation (they have built-in resistors). They work fine with the ignition on and engine off. However once the engine is started I get a single quick flash - then nothing. Just for kicks I tried a set of Rizoma Zero LED signals (with & without the load box, with & without resistors and with & without both - they didn't work at all regardless of configuration). I put everything back to stock and the stock signals function normally.

I would like to put the Syncro LED signals back on, as I do not like the OEM mirrors (besides I bought a nice set of Rizoma mirrors for the lady already...)

Any electro wizards out there have an idea what's wrong?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, connections are correct and I am using the pigtail adaptors (if you reverse polarity they just won't work at all being LED's). It's possible the battery is weak, the bike was on the showroom floor for 18 months and the battery was flat when I went to test ride it. The dealer swapped in another for the test ride, though I assume charged and installed the original before I took delivery. I have a new Shorai coming in a couple of days - we will see if that sorts things out. Thought I would see if anybody had experienced similar issues.
I had a 2006 910 S prior to the 990R, it had turn signal issues (and some major stalling), though a warranty replacement relay box took care of those problems.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A question for those who know: I went to replace my OEM mirror/LED signals with Syncro Bullet LED (front only) signals from Motovation (they have built-in resistors). They work fine with the ignition on and engine off. However once the engine is started I get a single quick flash - then nothing. Just for kicks I tried a set of Rizoma Zero LED signals (with & without the load box, with & without resistors and with & without both - they didn't work at all regardless of configuration). I put everything back to stock and the stock signals function normally.

I would like to put the Syncro LED signals back on, as I do not like the OEM mirrors (besides I bought a nice set of Rizoma mirrors for the lady already...)

Any electro wizards out there have an idea what's wrong?
I don't think you need resistors. I too fitted a pair of Rizoma Elisse mirrors and Melotti LED (without resistors) blinkers to my 2011 1090 RR

http://www.melottimoto.com/template...3&id_sotto_cat=2518&id_tipo=0&id_prod=367110#

I never had any issues with the Melottis. Perhaps it's battery related...but definitely no need to use resistors since the stock blinkers are LEDs as well.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If the current draw is wrong the indicators will work and then it trips until you turn it off and on again, I had the same issue with mine when I fitted LEDS, it came down to getting the resistor load correct, sounds like you have the same issues, I had to double up the resistors, I remember posting something at some point in the past.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect you may be correct billywhizz - I'll be doing some experimentation following the new year - I have an assemblage of resistors and signals collected over the years to play with. Thx.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Get yourself a multi meter and measure the resistance of the bikes indicators and the ones your going to replace them with. Bear in mind they are led's so if you get a high infinty reading swop the probes round and measure again. If the originals have a higher resistance value than the replacements then you need to put a resistor in series with the replacement indicators that brings the combined resistance value upto the same resistance value as the originals. If the original indicators have a lower restance value than the replacements youneed to put the resistor in parallel with the replacement indicator

* http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-paralresist.htm

Put the resistance value of the replacement indicator in the first box R1 of the above calculator and the resistance value of the original in the result box the calculated value of R2 will be the value of the parallel resistor you need to use with the replacement indicator..

·
Registered
14,683 Posts
i put a Clear Alternatives LED tail/indicators combo on and Kellermann LEDs on the front no resister required, they blink 30% faster......maybe cage drivers will see it easier:drummer:

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
Here, in the U.S., turn signals are required to have a "blink rate" between 60 and 120 cycles per minute.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be at the bench with my digital milti-meter playing electronics technician this weekend, following the advice of Bev Evans. I prefer the standard flash rate and signals that stand out a bit - if you get them too close to another source of light (headlamp, taillamp) they get washed out and are more difficult for drivers to see (assuming they are actually looking), which is why I don't like the integrated rear tail/turn units. I think the stock front LED signals work great - it's the mirrors that suck. Mine just flop down at the first hint of a bump or vibration: great view of my wrists, but not much else. I probably made a mistake buying the Synchro signal units with integrated resistors, as they likely don't need them (the existing signals are already LED). Motovation's listing is misleading, as the signals are listed under "bike specific" for the 2010 Brutale, and noted to "work with all Brutale models", which is clearly not so... I'll get it worked out, and will post my final solution for those who may run into the same situation. The Synchro's may end up on my 72 Norton or my 74 Laverda - maybe the '57 Featherlastic that's coming together slowly - yes I like older bikes too!

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
Look at the Rizoma units...bright, stylish, and multi-configurational.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have resolved the problem. I purchased a set of Melotti LED signals from GP Racing (thank you Alex) and they work just fine. These are mounted on the headlight ears using the small "fairings" that come with the signals (meant to fit the oblong openings in older Brutales). I cut off the collar extensions so that the "fairings" fit flush, a fussy project but it looks clean. While I was at it I purchased a few more items from Alex: Sato frame sliders (not listed for the 2010 Brutale, but it appears they will fit just fine), Muzzy fan blades, InvisiGuard kit. Just getting started. Thanks to all who lent their suggestions. I should have been more careful in my initial selection knowing I would not need the internal resistors in the Synchro LED signals (though Motovation should not list these as "bike specific" for the 2010 Brutale). For mirrors I put on a pair of Rozoma Code in black - these have a nice thin prifile and were installed using Rizoma adaptors that fit the stock MV location. All's well that ends well.

·
Super Moderator
22,875 Posts
Some pictures of that would be nice.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
+1

I have resolved the problem. I purchased a set of Melotti LED signals from GP Racing (thank you Alex) and they work just fine. These are mounted on the headlight ears using the small "fairings" that come with the signals (meant to fit the oblong openings in older Brutales). I cut off the collar extensions so that the "fairings" fit flush, a fussy project but it looks clean. While I was at it I purchased a few more items from Alex: Sato frame sliders (not listed for the 2010 Brutale, but it appears they will fit just fine), Muzzy fan blades, InvisiGuard kit. Just getting started. Thanks to all who lent their suggestions. I should have been more careful in my initial selection knowing I would not need the internal resistors in the Synchro LED signals (though Motovation should not list these as "bike specific" for the 2010 Brutale). For mirrors I put on a pair of Rozoma Code in black - these have a nice thin prifile and were installed using Rizoma adaptors that fit the stock MV location. All's well that ends well.
Melotti LEDs are the best fit for 990/1090. Never had any problems with mine. Installation was easy and did not require resistors. I am actually fitting a second pair (on the rear) with the new Melotti tail tidy that I just ordered.

Cheers!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The post from abazhle is what led me to the Melotti signals. I will attempt to post a picture this weekend. Essentially the same as his, just with the little teardrop shaped bases that the signal stem fits into. I cut the protruding collars off the bases with a bare hacksaw blade (carefully), then fitted them to a rod and smoothed them against an abrasive wheel (also carefully). The signals came with two identical bases each, so I figured I had nothing to lose in playing around with a couple of them. Besides it's cold as hell right now and there's nothing better to do. The rear signals are going on next. One thing to note: the leads are encased in a very nice, durable rubbery material. If you are not careful though, and trim them too short because you've buggered a crimp connector you may find yourself trying to carve that material off - that would not be easy to do without getting into the wire itself, so take your time. I use connectors from Vintage Connections with their crimper. These make very nice "factory" type crimps and have nice insulators. I did use the Rizoma factory wiring connectors, so no cutting of the wiring harness is necessary (they're pretty inexpensive too).

In a nutshell, if you've got stock LED's already then stick with "bare LED's" if you're upgrading or replacing. If you've got incandescent bulbs and switch to LED's use resistors/load balancer/load box or use an LED compatible flasher relay (there's no flasher relay with many of our MV's using instead the SPU for electrical accessory control/relay functions)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Photo of signal mount

Some asked for pictures of the front Melotti turn signal mounted with the trimmed base "fairing" installed - so here is my attempt at posting. palerider

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Custom fork mounts? Other than picking up a 1090/1090R headlight bracket there isn't much else to mount to without drilling the current mount while keeping them in a useful position.

I think the 920 also has headlight mounted blinkers.
Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts