MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my friend just picked up a 2009 1078rr. only has 9000 miles.

I rode it and it feels like the throttle has a lot of resistance, too much. The throttle body return spring has already been disabled.

When the bike is off, twisting throttle feels normal. but when the engine is running its a lot harder to turn. is this normal?

when applying throttle from it being closed, say going into a turn when braking is completed, the throttle is like an on/off switch. kinda scary actually, it's way too difficult to smoothly apply power. is this normal?

thanks everyone!:)

·
Registered
828 Posts
Same bike, same year. Yeah it's normal. Not sure what you mean by harder to turn when running but definitely like an on/off switch. Microtech from XBikes is one solution but an expensive one. That plus disconnecting the return spring on the side makes it a pleasure to ride.

Cheers

Deano

Hi all, my friend just picked up a 2009 1078rr. only has 9000 miles.

I rode it and it feels like the throttle has a lot of resistance, too much. The throttle body return spring has already been disabled.

When the bike is off, twisting throttle feels normal. but when the engine is running its a lot harder to turn. is this normal?

when applying throttle from it being closed, say going into a turn when braking is completed, the throttle is like an on/off switch. kinda scary actually, it's way too difficult to smoothly apply power. is this normal?

thanks everyone!:)

·
Administrator
20,402 Posts
Be certain the throttle cables are adjusted properly...have the TPS and sync checked.....

And welcome to the family!!!

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
great bike, I have the same model,now you have to spend some DOLLARS,Mine is smooth as silk,check the cable adjustment screws,there should be no need to adjust the springs at all,I have hade to sets of throttle bodys on my bike ,The first set i stuffed up totally,i know every inch of this bike,only adjust the tps with software and the air bleed valves,unless someone else has tampered with them.tps first.then read all the threads on this topic,your choices are microtec from chris at x bikes or pc5 with race ecu and a dyno tune.runs smoother than the jap bikes.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the advise everyone! My friend was nice enough to post this question for me...he's cool like that. I'm completely new to the 1078rr's personality...MV Augusta in general...and the attention this bike gets! It's the most gorgeous bike I've ever owned. I really have some studying to do.

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
Welcome...great avatar! Kinda reminds me of this fella:

Stay Puft.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I figured I'd follow up with what the fix was for the surging issue. I ended up getting the TPS reset and throttle bodies balanced. Good call guys! The bike feels much better now. Thanks again for everyone's help.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Welcome aboard the MV express and thank you for taking the time to get back to us with the solution.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Another thing I do particularly with lots of tight corners is to turn the fast idle/choke to bring up the idle speed

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
great to see you have it sorted,welcome

I am about to stuff around with the at-200 autotune,I am getting bored and need to stuff up my bike again.Lol

cheers eddy

·
Registered
694 Posts
I figured I'd follow up with what the fix was for the surging issue. I ended up getting the TPS reset and throttle bodies balanced. Good call guys! The bike feels much better now. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what shop did the work? The original owner of my 1078rr had it tuned at Moto Forza when new (along with a race ecu and arrow exhaust) and the fueling on it is perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Out of curiosity, would you mind sharing what shop did the work? The original owner of my 1078rr had it tuned at Moto Forza when new (along with a race ecu and arrow exhaust) and the fueling on it is perfect.
I had my bike worked on at Elk Grove Power sports here in California. They were really nice and helpful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all, so I have another update with my 1078rr. I finally decided to pick up a Microtec with the help of Alex at GP Racing and Chris from X-Bikes. There are no amount of words that can explain the transformation of the bike...it's just flat out amazing! All of my issues with the surging are gone and the throttle is silky smooth.

·
Super Moderator
22,651 Posts
There is nothing that will transform these bikes more than an excellent map.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Hey all, so I have another update with my 1078rr. I finally decided to pick up a Microtec with the help of Alex at GP Racing and Chris from X-Bikes. There are no amount of words that can explain the transformation of the bike...it's just flat out amazing! All of my issues with the surging are gone and the throttle is silky smooth.
You made the right choice:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts