MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have had the F4 1078 312RR for about three years now, a few issues here and there but over 4K miles done and at speed I can't fault the power or handling. Our annual trip to ride the TT course has not disappointed.

I had a Ducati 916 before the MV, I thought having a 4 cylinder would be different of course but also thought one pleasure was going to be the smoother purr of the F4 at lower speeds (love the 916 it is just different). At colder engine temps it is pretty smooth but once hot it does sound pretty 'gravelly', when sitting at lights with a Jap 4 cylinder alongside it does sound like a washing machine with rocks in. Once up and running the growl around 4K rpm is great but I wondered what other riders' view of the low end sound was? I have a stock exhaust, would love to change it but can't afford it.

I have it checked out each year and I don't think there's anything wrong, but I'd be interested to know the experience of others and whether the low end sound is normal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the same with my 2007 1000R, I find it less rattly if you pull the clutch in. I assumed it was normal, though I did previously own a ZX7R which rattled pretty good.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Yes, it's definitely a characteristic shared by all F4's I've ridden.

·
Administrator
18,857 Posts
MV engines are not quiet like Japanese bikes.... but I like it. Sounds like a race engine, not a sewing machine.

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
I have the same bike,they are a bit noisy,as mentioned pull the clutch lever in and it will be quieter,then buy some ear plugs .
My mate has a new Norton Commando twin,you should hear that motor,it sounds like nuts and bolts rattling around inside it.
The MV motor is super quiet compared to it.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I was chasing this rattle for years ,new Evr clutch ,new clutch bearings and crown , It was considerably quiet to start with ,then after say 500km it was back to normal , its not the clutch plates as i tested this theory by removing them and stating her up ,made no difference . I just don't remember if i tried it without the crown assembly unfortunately , my thoughts possibly the springs on the back of the clutch might be part of it but not all of it ,as i remember being disappointed with the outcome , so i just excepted it and gave up . Maybe the stater motor .anyway at idle they sound like a Diesel motor .

Cheers Eddy

·
Administrator
18,857 Posts
Could be worse....could be a Ducati with a dry clutch !!!

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
Hey, I resemble that remark....

DSC_2559r.jpg

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
I do believe, and others can corroborate, that I actually rattle MORE than the dry clutch on my Ducati....

·
Registered
180 Posts
As an ex owner of a 93 900ss there aint nothin' sweeter than the rattle of a Ducati's dry clutch......Anyway getting back to the original post. You might want to check your alternator gear, as in my 312R and others they will work loose. The centre bolt (engine side) on mine was way loose, not even finger tight. The link to the post http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/223354-alternator-gear-rattle.html.
A good way to see if it is the issue is to see if the noise drops away when your fans cut in and the alternator loads up....
Of coarse I am assuming that the RR is vulnerable to the same issue.
After sorting mine she was a lot quieter. Characteristically though the MV is reasonably noisy but it should be a healthy noise. You've had your bike for a while so if somethings all of a sudden getting your attention you might need to look at a few things.

·
Registered
666 Posts
As an ex owner of a 93 900ss there aint nothin' sweeter than the rattle of a Ducati's dry clutch......Anyway getting back to the original post. You might want to check your alternator gear, as in my 312R and others they will work loose. The centre bolt (engine side) on mine was way loose, not even finger tight. The link to the post http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/20-maintenance-tech-issues-all-4-cyl-models/223354-alternator-gear-rattle.html.
A good way to see if it is the issue is to see if the noise drops away when your fans cut in and the alternator loads up....
Of coarse I am assuming that the RR is vulnerable to the same issue.
After sorting mine she was a lot quieter. Characteristically though the MV is reasonably noisy but it should be a healthy noise. You've had your bike for a while so if somethings all of a sudden getting your attention you might need to look at a few things.
Thx when I get mine back on the lift I’ll check it out. I was just turning up the radio until now :grin2:

·
Registered
925 Posts
I have a 750 EVO 3 and owned for over 14 years, its always rattled, I have had different clutches and baskets (different story) and nothing changed, I also have a 910 Brutale and its exactly the same, I call it Italian character. If it is getting worse of late then there may be a problem?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the feedback folks, don't think I have anything to worry about. I don't think it's got worse lately and it isn't as noisy as the 916 clutch (especially with the open cover I fitted!). I don't actually have an issue with it, I just wanted to see if it was normal, as I say on start up the engine is quite quiet and smooth but at the first set of lights after a few miles with the engine fully up to temp it gets noisier. Not a rattle really, and it does quieten when you keep the clutch in. Once you get back moving and above 4K rpm it makes it all worthwhile, and neither the MV nor the 916 are made with town cruising in mind were they....?!!

I still would like to fit some alternative exhaust system, as the stock pipes are a bit vanilla (for an MV at least), still mulling it over. Do you always need to change the ECU when you change exhaust?

·
Vendor
5,159 Posts
That depends on which exhaust option you take.With just a slip-on you may get away with the standard ECU.Full system will definitely require an upgraded ECU.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts