MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - So I go to start my MV couple days ago and when I turned on the key it sounded like a dishwasher inside the fuel tank and the bike wouldn't start so I figure bad hose or hoses on the fuel pump - So I get tank off bike and remove fuel pump and yes the hose between the pump and filter
is rotten - so I change the hoses and filter and all good BUT I have a question in that the service manual and everything I can find shows the tank has a threaded hole in corner with a bolt and copper washer to drain tank etc..... Mine doesn't as it has a hose coming from an evaporative cannister that is inside the tank and that hose has a threaded stud (and the stud has a hole thru it and a hex in the end for an he wrench) sticking thru hole with a locknut on it

So my main question is - has anyone seen this or their bike have the same set up - is there an o ring or gasket on the flange on the threaded stud ?
If there was one I didn't see or find it but would sure think there would need to be one - any thoughts or suggestion would much be appreciated

I do not want to put it all back together and have a leak there

See attached pictures

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,431 Posts
There should be a grommet (washer) inside the tank.

That is the standard USofA tank for first generation bikes.

1.jpg

2.jpg

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Thanks Silentservice as I couldn't find that page with the grommet

Any idea if it's an item I'll be able to order ? Or if it's something I can source locally and i wonder if it's rubber or viton etc....

·
Administrator
18,841 Posts
Grommet is an O-Ring !! go to your hardware store and buy one. Any fuel resistant o-ring material will be fine.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok Thanks Silentservice as I couldn't find that page with the grommet

Any idea if it's an item I'll be able to order ? Or if it's something I can source locally and i wonder if it's rubber or viton etc....
Use Viton only for such an application

·
Super Moderator
21,431 Posts
Nitrile (Buna-N) is also an acceptable material. As I recall, when I did mine, it ws a fiber washer...but that was a long time ago.

Were it me, I'd be looking for a Viton or Nitrile (Buna-N) O-ring of compatible size.

But, before I did that.....I'd look inside my fuel tank to see if the original "grommet" is in there....

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the help and replies guys - I know I'm not on here much but this site rocks and the info available is incredible

I have looked inside the fuel tank and I even strained the oil from my drain pan that I pour the last little bit of fuel into but nothing there

I'm planning on using a viton o ring as we have a good o ring store here in town

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I found the o ring in my shop vac as I had cleaned fuel tank while pump assembly was removed and there was a small amount of grit in tank which I vacuumed out - so I'm good to go !! Getting ready to reassemble now

Again I would like to say thanks to those who chimed in

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Great news! I'll delete my post. Sorry about that.

·
Super Moderator
21,431 Posts
Sidebar :stickpoke:
Isn't that dangerous to do in general? Fumes can ignite while passing through your vacuum, no? :surprise:
Perhaps, but hey....it's very unlikely. :flamethro

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sidebar :stickpoke:
Isn't that dangerous to do in general? Fumes can ignite while passing through your vacuum, no? :surprise:
No as I had already cleaned it very thoroughly and with filler cap and fuel pump removed for last few days there were no fumes at all

1 - 13 of 13 Posts