MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed a couple oil drops rigth under the radiator, look under by the fairing and there was one more drop, and that was it, my bike has only 2445 miles. 3 oil changes, at 600 at about 1000 and the last one at about 1800, could it a loose filter or drain plug, this week end I'll be looking by taking the panels off; any ideas? Thank you all and a Happy Thanksgiving every body.

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
I would look at the oil filter seating area and I would look at the area where the sdie stand mounts to the oil sump. Historically, there are sump bolts that can back out and the sealing area will leak. There are some other threads in here aobut oil leaks...they have pictures and remedies. Try the SEARCH function and you may find your answer.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
clean the area..sprinkle so Johnsons talc on it ( must be Johnsons ) and see if there is a witness trail after you run the engine

·
Registered
517 Posts
Look at the oil cooler. The bolt, number 22 in the picture, may need tightening a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil leak

Thank you guys for all the answers, after Thanksgiving I'll be going over the bike to see what's up. Happy Thanksgiving every one.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Any idea what the recommended torque is?
The dealer fixed the oil cooler leak on mine while I had it in for some other warranty work so I don't know the torque value. Couldn't find it in any of my manuals either, sorry. :wtf:

·
Registered
542 Posts
I would look at the oil filter seating area and I would look at the area where the sdie stand mounts to the oil sump. Historically, there are sump bolts that can back out and the sealing area will leak. There are some other threads in here aobut oil leaks...they have pictures and remedies. Try the SEARCH function and you may find your answer.
+1 and Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

·
Registered
394 Posts
If there is no specific torque listed for this particular bolt you can use the generic torque for that particular bolt size what ever it may be. Check out the manual and find the generic torque values. The last thing you want to do is strip the threads because you over tightened it.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
There is a " rubber seal " behind there...If after retorquing it you still have a leak..take a peek at that...and it is meant to be greased.see manual.

btw..Don't just tighten it..slacken it off first other wise you will be turning against frictional resistence of the bolt head and it could suddenlty " slip" and you will apply an excessive torque and do no good at all to the threads......

·
Registered
517 Posts
There is a " rubber seal " behind there...If after retorquing it you still have a leak..take a peek at that...and it is meant to be greased.see manual.

btw..Don't just tighten it..slacken it off first other wise you will be turning against frictional resistence of the bolt head and it could suddenlty " slip" and you will apply an excessive torque and do no good at all to the threads......
+1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts