MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I really need your help- first off the bike has been sitting in my garage since February of this year - it still had the stock yuasa battery, but was on a tender the whole time (always on tender when not in use). Last week I tried starting the bike but would not fire up (I even tried starting it with the tender on, but to no avail). Decided to just buy a new shorai lithium battery, since I thought the yuasa deserves to be retired since it's been on the bike since new.
Got the new shorai battery yesterday - 1st took off the yuasa like how the workshop manual said disconnected the negative first, then the positive. Installed the shorai (checked voltage load first and was @ 13.7) like the manual instructed positive first then negative. Turned the key to the on position, then waited for it to prime. Everything ok then started the bike. Bike didn't start, not even a click, tried it a couple more times still nothing. Checked all the battery connection, everything is where it should be. I then decided to take the bike off the the rear stand (bike was upright) and place on the kick stand (bike is now leaned to the left) just to check around. Decided to try to start the bike just for kicks, and it starts!! Now I'm puzzled, decided to let the bike warm up for a bit (thought it might be bad gas). Once warm sat on the bike (bike upright) to ready to ride and bike dies, tries starting her again no click, nothing

To sum up the issue, the bike will start just fine as long as she is leaning to the left (kick stand either up or down), but once I straighten her up she just dies. Anybody ever had this problem? I usually am able to sort problems I've had with my bike by searching the old post, but not this one. Any help would be awesome

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'd say it was a loose connection making contact when you stand it upright. Its probably one of the smaller connections going to the battery. Might have to trace some lines to the ground and starter as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If the dash lights up when you turn on the ignition, but you dont hear the fuel pump prime and starter does not turn over, check the small wire coming from the harness going to the positive side of the battery terminal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for your help Brutale1078!! I was actually able to trace the problem. It was some sort of sensor (i don't even know the name), in front of the battery (i attached a picture) that senses the bikes lean angle, an auto shut off when the bike is dropped, i guess. It has two screws to hold it in place (one top and one bottom), and one of the screws came off, making the sensor swivel, and making the bike think that it's been dropped on its side and shut off.

Since i didn't have the proper screw to set it in place, i ended up ghetto rigging it - and just used zip to to hold it in place.

On the first picture I'm pointing with a flat head screw driver where the screw fell off (the black thing below it is the sensor)

on the 2nd picture you'll see the zip tie i used to hold the sensor in place

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,095 Posts
That is the tip over sensor...literally. It shuts off the bike when you drop it.

That was the first thing that came to mind when reading your problem description.

·
Registered
145 Posts
That is the tip over sensor...literally. It shuts off the bike when you drop it.

That was the first thing that came to mind when reading your problem description.
Wow..I didn't even know the bike had that..learn something new everyday..

·
Old Wing Nut
22,155 Posts
Most EFI bikes have one...ATVs too......Some brands will not turn back on until you cycle the key switch once they are triggered.
Cars have a similar sensor that will trigger in impact situations. If you ever get rear ended hard enough your car won't start until you rest the sensor. Some cars will reset with the key...but on some you have to go to the sensor (usually in the trunk) and manually reset it. My old Mercury Cougar was like that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! you learn something new everyday. I was actually surprised my bike had one since it's an older model. I've seen them in newer bikes - but more like the lean angle sensor on the s1000rr's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts