MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those that have 2008 USA F4 312r if you have the time can you tell me where your emission sticker is on the bike or can you look under your tail section. It is not inside my tail section and is not on my tank. i've spoken with two dealers and none are 100% sure.

Very much appreciated

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I have a 2008 312R that we imported from the USA in late 2009.
I've just checked and as you suspected the emissions sticker is under the seat unit.
Do you need one?

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Here is what we have found out about the under seat decals that relate to Vehicle Emission Control Information (VECI) and Motorcycle Noise Emission Control Information (MNECI) decals.

The VECI part number for the 312R is 8000B0498. No frame number allocations in the parts manual so it would appear the quoted model year of 2007 on this decal is applicable to the 2007 / 2008 & 2009 312R.
My 2008 312R frame number has a 10th digit of "8" which means that it was made in 2008. The VECI under the seat refers to a 2007 model year. I'd be willing to bet that all 312Rs have this generic 2007 decal, regardless of their year of manufacture.

Likewise the MNECI uses 2007 as its model year reference. The 312R MNECI decal is a part number 8C00A3397.

The part number info can be found on page K01 of the 312R parts manual.

312RR VECI & MNECI decals have different part numbers.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Ok, I've removed the decals and, to put it frankly, there is no way to use them again. The adhesive is very sticky and removing the decal has stretched it in places making it effectively useless. I suspect that this was the intention in the design of the decal - to be non transferrable.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
I have checked my 2008 312R and it has the same sticker. Bogie, there must be someone in Cali with a registered 312R of this vintage. Noel, any help here?

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
Going through the registry, there are at least a dozen 2008 312R bikes listed as California registered. One of you folks should be able to help out in this....

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
My 10th digit is a 7...so, I am a 2007 manufactured bike registered as a 2008.

·
Administrator
18,850 Posts
All bikes imported to the USA since early on are 50 state certified. There is no California only MV since the very first models. That's what that evap system is all about.

The 10th digit of the VIN should indicate the year model, not the year of manufacture. 2008 bikes were being made and sold in late 2007.....this is true of all vehicles. This fall, when the 2014 models start to show up you can check it out.....but it will be a letter E, not a number. 2000 was a letter Y, then 2001 began the number series. 2010 is an A, this year is a D.

Chuck, if your bike is registered as a 2008 with the 10th character a 7 then the was some confusion in the DMV or the dealer paperwork. Bear in mind, the US used to get bikes a year after everyone else. My 910R was a 2007 in Europe....but my 10th character is an 8. Maybe you got a Euro spec bike, possibly modified with the Evap system and other DOT requirements (reflectors, etc) so they could get some in the US early??

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
OK, so now I am a bit confused as to where I saw the 7. My hand written sales receipt, June 2007, shows the dike as an '07. Today everything I look at says the 10th digit is an 8. So, in short, the elves came by and either corrected my paperwork...or my eyesight.:smoking:

·
Administrator
18,850 Posts
The salesman made a mistake....the DMV corrected it.

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
dyke/dike?

OK, so now I am a bit confused as to where I saw the 7. My hand written sales receipt, June 2007, shows the dike as an '07. Today everything I look at says the 10th digit is an 8. So, in short, the elves came by and either corrected my paperwork...or my eyesight.:smoking:
should have kept the dyke as an '07

my 910R was registered as an '09.....i corrected it and my insurance and registration went down:drummer:

PS; Chuck don't tell Cindy you're keeping a dike:thewife:

·
Super Moderator
21,440 Posts
Yeah, there's no way I could turn her...maybe for an evening for my entertainment....:smoking:

·
Administrator
18,850 Posts
It's amazing what these young people can do.

What once looked like crap now looks bloody amazing.
Well done.
????
Dave, that small sticker ain't the same....

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Yes Ed, correct. The stickers have been replicated.
This is because of the specific year stated on the original is 2007, however the bike in question is a 2008. The damaged stickers were used as a template and the dates were changed. MV Agusta never made a 2008 version of this decal. This process was done to assist in registering a bike.

·
Administrator
18,850 Posts
That's what I thought!!! Clever folks, those Kiwis....

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I needed to post this up for anyone that ends up in the same situation I did but I moved and it just took longer than expected to get all my shit together.

My brand new 2008 312r did not come with an emissions sticker from the factory. This really made for a head ache when I needed to register it in another state.

Dave (The Man Castle) was kind enough to mail me his sticker from his 2008 F4. MV does not make a 2008 sticker or a 2009 for that matter...they all say 2007. I had to change that to get it past the numb nuts at the DVM. So I had the stickers duplicated with the correct year so there were no questions at the DVM.

It cost a little to have this done but the file is saved and the stickers are cheap and can be altered for year or whatever. If anyone needs a new one or they sell their stock tail and need stickers I can have them made really fast and send them to you.

Dave was nice enough to take the time to send me his and now the expensive part is done. Any mods to the stickers like year is fast and simple. If anyone needs one in the future PM me I check in on the site almost every day. There were a few small error on the first ones done but those have all been corrected.

Just want to pay the favor forward as that is what we do on this site.

If you notice any other errors let me know and I will take note and have them updated in the file for any future stickers made.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts