MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey quick question
i had a 2006 S that i enjoyed however it had a major flaw....rolling on the throttle mid corner. i could never get it smooth. it ruined the experience somewhat. i'm thinking about an 07 R. is this basically the same motor/computer with the same characteristics?
thanks

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
My 2007 1000R had the 5,000 surge in power. It was like a turbo kicked in. I enjoyed it, but not cornering on a track at times. Their are ways to adjust that now.

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
hey quick question
i had a 2006 S that i enjoyed however it had a major flaw....rolling on the throttle mid corner. i could never get it smooth. it ruined the experience somewhat. i'm thinking about an 07 R. is this basically the same motor/computer with the same characteristics?
thanks
Since this is in the Brutale section I am going to guess the F4 references above are not what you were looking for.

The 2006 Brutale 910S has the old 1.6M ECU which is notorious for really poor fueling if not properly tuned. A chip can remedy this to a point.
The 2007 Brutale 910R has the 5SM ECU with sequential injection. Massive improvement in fueling, but still not perfect in stock trim.
There are ways to improve both, but the 2007 R is easier and the bike enjoys other upgrades as well.
The major differences in the bikes (other than the ECU) are in chassis upgrades. The engines are mechanically the same.
The 2007 is Euro2 compliant as well, which means headers and mid-pipe/cat are one piece and a second air system is added (does not affect performance).

·
Super Moderator
21,422 Posts
That flat spot response can be tuned out of the 5SM ECU.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Since this is in the Brutale section I am going to guess the F4 references above are not what you were looking for.

The 2006 Brutale 910S has the old 1.6M ECU which is notorious for really poor fueling if not properly tuned. A chip can remedy this to a point.
The 2007 Brutale 910R has the 5SM ECU with sequential injection. Massive improvement in fueling, but still not perfect in stock trim.
There are ways to improve both, but the 2007 R is easier and the bike enjoys other upgrades as well.
The major differences in the bikes (other than the ECU) are in chassis upgrades. The engines are mechanically the same.
The 2007 is Euro2 compliant as well, which means headers and mid-pipe/cat are one piece and a second air system is added (does not affect performance).
yes i was wondering if it had a different ECU. there is still a removable eprom i guess because the seller says he has the mv "racing" chip. i wonder if the roll on jerkyness above 5k rpm is better behaved? what is sequential FI?

·
Registered
123 Posts

2007 Brutales 910R still had 1.6M ECU in the USA. Our market was a year behind.

·
Super Moderator
21,422 Posts
You cannot replace a 1.6M with a 5SM.
You can contact @merc07.

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
2007 Brutales 910R still had 1.6M ECU in the USA. Our market was a year behind.
Actually...we got no 2007 Brutales in the USA.....we got the Euro 2007 as a 2008 model (with the 5SM).... So I was assuming he was in other markets where the 2007 was Euro2 with the 5SM.

So just where on the planet is @dougn located? It's not in your profile???

Regardless....if the owner says the 910R has a "chip" then it is the 1.6M ECU.

Sequential injection means the injectors fire only on an intake stroke. The old 1.6M fires injectors in pairs (and spark plugs, but that's no big deal).
So the injection is not sequential (following intake strokes on each cylinder in sequence), and actually squirts fuel against a closed intake valve in a stagnant air stream on the cylinder that is not on intake stroke (on power stroke).

The 1.6M ECU is basically a twin cylinder ECU.

So in this case there is no value or difference in the engine performance between the subject 910S and 910R...just chassis. Although the 910R of that vintage did come withe the "Kit exhaust and ECU chip included in the crate at no extra charge.
The Euro2 with 5SM did not come with the exhaust and ECU in the crate (and had a lower MSRP as well).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i'm in the US (california)
i couldn't imagine the injectors would fire a half cycle early....wow. it's a wonder it works as well as it does.
that's too bad. i like everything about them except for the off on throttle jump. it's impossible to transition smoothly
what about the 06 F4? there's some nice ones out there. are they abrupt too?

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
Same ECU, you have to get to the 2007 F4 for the 5SM ECU.

.... It's a wasted spray, just like a wasted spark (common in older 4 cylinder ignition systems of all brands). It can be tuned around, and some would argue it is insignificant.

The abrupt off idle throttle is also common on many other bikes including a lot of Japanese bikes with early ride-by-wire systems. Proper tuning can make the bike accelerate very smoothly. Easier to achieve with a 5SM (if you have a tuner who has "cracked" it) as the 16M requires a chip burner and swapping that chip until you get what you want.

But a Microtec ECU is available for the 16M bikes that transforms it completely !!! That's what I would do (and did with my SPR 750). Best money I have spent on that bike (or any for that matter).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i recall the microtech solution but i forget....how much is it? plug and play? and where do i get it?

·
Administrator
18,834 Posts
i recall the microtech solution but I forget....how much is it? plug and play? and where do I get it?
Prices vary depending on what you want and the exchange rates... Contact Chris at X-Bikes for the best most complete set-up, can be plug and play....not to mention after sales support.

Expect somewhere in the $1000 range. Worth every penny.

X Bikes | Home

[email protected]

Here in the USA Mark Sutton at DucShop is the Microtec distributor. He's in Marietta GA. He can do any dyno fine tuning if needed, but has to start from scratch every time.... Chris is the most experienced with MV Agusta.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts