MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i went for a ride, everything was fine for about an hour of good hard street riding and then bam, rod knock... :( pulled over and shut everything down and i didnt see any oil leaking anywhere (not like it did when my k&n oil filter failed, which is likely the cause of this...) so i started it up again to see if i was just mis-hearing it, nope still there.. so my question is this, are rebuild kits available for these engines and if so what internal modifications should i consider if i wanted to bump up the numbers a bit? Is there anyone highly recommended for me to have do the rebuild, or should i do it myself (I have professional experience as a motorcycle mechanic).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The knock is not hiding haha.. i know the engine is coming out and apart, more curious if there is someone significantly more experienced with these motors much like the DucShop for ducati that would be more trusted with the difficult timing and what not.

·
Super Moderator
22,313 Posts
Tim, the problem is that it is impossible to recommend a mechanic for an unknown location on this planet.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Had a K&N oil filter fail too they are guaranteed though so theoretically if you can prove the knock is as a direct result then K&N should bear the cost of any related repairs.
I was paid out for an oil service and replacement (none K&N) filter.
M

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,805 Posts
It is a very easy engine to work on. If you are an experienced motorcycle tech as you state you should tackle it yourself. Then you will know it is done right.

Pull the engine, flip it over and pull the lower case half (obviously, some other parts have to come off first, but not the top end). Unbolt the rod caps and check the rod and crank journals for damage. Maybe you will be lucky and only need replacing the bearings since you shut it down right away.

Bearing shells should be available. You may even be able to source some bearings from another brand if you can get the dimensions sorted and cross referenced.

Don't buy any parts until you know what you need.

The Workshop manuals are on line here. Go for it!!!!

Aren't there some other reports of 312R engines with rod problems??? A search may reveal things to look for as cause and improvements.

·
Administrator
19,805 Posts
the circumstances around the failed K&N oil filter.
Eric
K&N oil filters are notorious for the welded on hex falling off, cracking or simply coming apart. Supposedly they addressed this, but I wouldn't buy one. Purolator makes a perfect replacement for the MV filter, available at most auto stores and less costly....and a better filter, too!!.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
Filters?

K&N oil filters are notorious for the welded on hex falling off, cracking or simply coming apart. Supposedly they addressed this, but I wouldn't buy one. Purolator makes a perfect replacement for the MV filter, available at most auto stores and less costly....and a better filter, too!!.
For 1st Gen MVs, what you want to use is a Purolator PL-14612 available at most auto parts stores....

For those of you around the World...... I will ship them to you get together with friends and buy them
in bulk .....cuts down on postage

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
For 1st Gen MVs, what you want to use is a Purolator PL-14612 available at most auto parts stores....

For those of you around the World...... I will ship them to you get together with friends and buy them
in bulk .....cuts down on postage

They almost work on my R1M too. Unfortunately the threads bottom out a mm before the gasket makes contact. Awesome filters.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
They almost work on my R1M too. Unfortunately the threads bottom out a mm before the gasket makes contact. Awesome filters.
Dave can you pull the stub out of the cases and move it deeper?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I could not get the Purolator to work on mine it just would not clear enough to thread it on.I ended up using a Hi-Flo. Mine is a first gen.

·
Registered
14,490 Posts
?

rompus;
I've sold 100's of the Purolator PL 14612 filters nobody ever had a problem......
Yes, they are ~ 10mm longer.......and 10 times the quality of filter

MV #8000A9294(?, the 2 is hard to read)
66.8mm long
65.4mm diameter

Purolator PL 14612
76.7mm long
65.8mm diameter

Loosen the pipes, then mount the filter......do you have stock pipes?

Ed Eskew and I both have '08 910Rs .....he can get a 3/8" extension between pipes 3&4, a feeler gauge won't fit between mine

:grin2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts