MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help....my 2007 MV 1000 wont start. I've tested the battery, starter solenoid, fuel pump primes, but still won't turn over. Any suggestions?

·
Vendor
5,408 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Have you checked the fuse at the starter solenoid.
Also check for any burnt connections there.(You mentioned starter solenoid,what did you check? Is there power in and out)
Then check all the earth points on the bike that they are clean and tight.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Solomon.

Sad way to start here with a problem. I hope you resolve it soon - with fellow members help of course:wink2:.

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
Welcome to the family !!!

Where in the world are you? Please add that to your profile.

You can get the service manuals for your bike here:

Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

Be sure and thank long time member Donsy for his hard work making that site available to us all.

There are excellent troubleshooting charts found in the manual. Are you saying the engine does not turn at all when you press the starter button?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i've checked the solenoid fuses and connections. Tested with multimeter. Getting current thru and starter engages but won't turn motor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine dies not turn at all. The starter engages but after a few seconds the starter quits.

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
And you are in what country/on what planet???

I would suggest you remove the phonic wheel cover (left crankcase cover) place a wrench on the crankshaft and confirm the crankshaft will turn at all, in either direction.

Is it possible you have a hydraulic locked engine? or some other catastrophic engine failure?

If the crankshaft can be turned without excessive force then I would think perhaps the starter motor has a problem, or the gears it drives have a problem.

Another forum member just posted photos of his starter gear on the clutch basic with all the teeth sheared off !!!!

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
I'm in San Antonio TX
Would you like for me to add that on your profile for you?

Like I said, see if the crankshaft will turn at all. That is easy enough to do. No parts required.

Did you find your manuals on Donsy's web site?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Solomon when you hit the starter button do you hear the solenoid clicking?. My 2007 F4 wont start . I changed Solenoid, it clicks but no juice to starter unless I jump the contacts.

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
Voltage drop to 9 volts when relay (solenoid) is energized means too much current is being drawn by the starter..... or your battery has low capacity.

Load test battery, Remove and inspect the starter.

How many miles are on this bike?

As for editing profile...under the Brutale in the banner is a tab labeled TOOLS. The drop down will give a choice of User CP. Click on that and you will find where to edit profile, add signature etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Battery is relatively new and the bike has less than 3k miles. Any chance it could be spark plugs?

·
Administrator
20,376 Posts
Battery is relatively new and the bike has less than 3k miles. Any chance it could be spark plugs?
Not if the crankshaft doesn't turn when you energize the starter.

If all that happens is the relay clicks....no crank rotation, then you have a lack of adequate electrical power at the starter motor.

Either a weak battery (doesn't matter if it is new to you, could still be bad), or cables unable to transfer that much energy, or a starter that isn't using the energy efficiently.

·
Super Moderator
22,636 Posts
My two cents:

It sounds like the battery is shot.
There is a low voltage cutoff for your ECU and that will not allow the bike to start with low battery voltage.
There is a probability that the connections to your start solenoid are corroded or dirty and creating a high resistance connection that depletes voltage.

I would remove the battery and have it load tested.
Then, remove the start solenoid and thoroughly clean and inspect the wires. Reinstal.
Check the 40 amp fuse connections and tighten with a little squeeze for some needle nose pliers.
Reinstall a new or freshly charged battery taking note of polarity (negative terminal forward) and ensure all wires get reattached.

Give it a shot.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Not sure if i understood right, your starter turns for a few seconds, but then dies?

Is it cranking like super slowly, and then halts?

You get full battery voltage to starter but still wont turn? Take it out and see if all the brushes touch the commutator. If not, it has no power even if it gets full volts.

Get us a video of the starting process? Easy to identify that way what is the cause.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts