MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im no great ducati fan , an the 916 has its place in history , but the darker color 1098 with the red frame looks alot like a MV with , the 1000r rims on it to me . doesnt look very original .

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
it s not a big surprise.all there superbikes featured the same colour option yellow red and black.i see that italian car and bike manufacturers are predisposed to these colours which are drop dead gorgeus btw ,but i still like the silver red paint scheme of the augustas

·
Registered
796 Posts
btw the 1098 is a nice bike even if it borrows some elements from the mv f4 especially the tail section.what i hate about it are the exhausts.i know they are triing to keep the look of the 916 but that was exactly what people didn t like about the 916.the 999 may had had a ugly face but it s profile and the exhaust we re so nice.and the crappy thing is that you can t even fit the 999 exhaust to the 1098 because it is too wide and it will look even worse

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Ducati seem to sell a lot of bikes in that Canary Yellow, I'm glad MV haven't tried it though :crazyeyes

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i dont know , maybee its a tamberini <<<< (check spelling) ...thing . or they are stuck on his desings. but when i look at the ducati i see MVs brembo rims , frame lay out , fairing lines , exaughst lay out cant fault them for using the same brembo brakes , but its a little shaddy . but alot of people love the look of the f4 series so with so much shared the ducati looks amazing . but its kinda like ford an GM making cars that look so much alike . its not good for the market cuz ur selling one product , so u bland the market down , an things being rare are what builds a passion to a degree.

i live in part of south florida that when u turn 16 u get a mercedes benz . they are freakin everywhere. when u see the same car over an over an over u really dont notice them any more , an a honda civic becomes unique an it draws ur attention . if every italian bike maker copies tamburini's<<<<<( i did "ur" instead of "er" here , i like to mix up my miss spellings) ......desings "thats not so good "<<<< italian accent .

·
Registered
338 Posts
allias86 said:
what i hate about it are the exhausts.i know they are triing to keep the look of the 916 but that was exactly what people didn t like about the 916.the 999 may had had a ugly face but it s profile and the exhaust we re so nice.and the crappy thing is that you can t even fit the 999 exhaust to the 1098 because it is too wide and it will look even worse
Actually from most I've heard the opposite. Also, the 749/999 exhaust, (inclusing the 57 mm) wasn't able to produce that true Ducati twin note we all love.

·
Registered
796 Posts
well you know that the chrisler 300c sort of looks like a rolls royce phantom.same case here.imitation is the most sincere form of flathery,a very important man who i can t remamber said

·
Registered
6,448 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
It is real funny to read these opinions about the 916 style vs. the MV's and the new 1098. Just remember folks the 916 started it all, the mv is just a redesigned version of the 916 so who stole what from who? The 1098 is just a new take on an older and very successful idea. You will soon see that Ducati made a smart decision to make a bike based on the fire that was the older design. The masses had spoken with the reluctancy to purchase the 999 in the numbers hoped by Ducati and their investors. When you realize that Ducati is on the right track you will soon see that they will be coming out with the next greatest thing for the track. What I have been hearing around the grape vine is that in the near future we could very well see the v4 in superbike form. Hey I could be wrong, but if the rules aren't going to change in favor of the twins to be on an even playing feild then we will see a will to move forward with the winning attitude that ducati always had. It will be very neat to see what happens with aprillia next year being due to feild a v4. We all know that if you are a winner then you sell bikes. Who wants it the worst?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I like both the 1098 and the MV. When it comes down to parting with my own hard earned money, the MV just has that little bit extra that makes me want it MORE than the 1098. And really I think that is the bottom line...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well, since we're still talking about the MV v. 1098, if I were to walk in to Pro Italia and see a MV and a 1098, I'd choose the 1098 because the price. If Jake or Samson said, we'll discount an '06 MV to $15K, I'd probably go with the 1098 because it's newer. Now, if there as a newly designed F4 (or F5) priced at $25K vs. a $15K 1098 (regular), the MV would win instantly.
And I suspect a large part of the sportbike market would follow the same train of thought (the 1098 being cheaper and newer).

But that said, I don't regret getting the MV. Just wish I waited a month or two later so I could have got the free service service and low interest specials.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am speaking in terms of the companies taking design cues from each other. Even though the bikes (MV and 916-998) were designed by the same person the 1098 was not. The tail section is in question for being copied or resembling the MV. So what? Look at Ducati and what design cues were taken by other companies like Honda. The 1000rr looks like a japanese version of a 998 without the Single sided swingarm. The new 1098 is less expensive but I don't think that it makes the bike less desireable in fact I think it has just the opposite effect. If you buy a bike because of an expensive price tag then I guess you have to much money to play with and you should give me some.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I saw 1098S today in live. I must say, that it didn´t impress me! To me it looked like a mix of Multistrada and 998 :stir: :stir: or something ( don´t shoot me :ahhh: :bandit: , Mike already tried...!).
I would neverever allow Mike to change 998S to 1098S !!! :stickpoke :loser:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
1098 v f4

I must say that i like the look of the ducati, Dont know how its going to ride compared to its predecessors i have read reviews and they are sounding quite good. The price is also very reasonable, the 1098 will sell in numbers, if it rides the way the mags say then its an excellant change of direction for ducati from the 749-999 models. The black version of the 1098 looks more like the f4 senna 2002 than the 1000R i would say.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts