Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
presenting the 2007 BMW K 1200S

Make Model

BMW K 1200S

Year

Engine
Liquid cooled, four strike, transverse four cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Capacity

Bore x Stroke

79 X 59 mm

Compression Ratio
13.0;1

Induction

BMSK fuel Injection

Ignition / Starting

- / electric

Max Power

167 hp @ 10250 rpm (153 hp

Max Torque

13.2 kg-m @ 8250 rpm

Transmission / Drive

6 Speed / shaft

Frame
Composite aluminium frame with IHU/extrusion-pressed
profiles and die sections

Front Suspension

BMW Duolever with central shock-absorber. 115mm wheel travel

Rear Suspension

BMW Paralever with progressive damping single shock absorber, remotely adjustable for preload and rebound, damping135mm wheel travel

Front Brakes

2x 320mm discs 4 piston calipers

Rear Brakes

Single 265mm disc 2 piston caliper

Front Tyre

120/70-17

Rear Tyre

190/50-17

Dry-Weight / Wet-weight

248 kg / 153 kg

Fuel Capacity

19 Litres

Consumption average

15 km/lit

Standing ¼ Mile

11.75 sec / 130 mph

Top Speed

178.3 mph

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well guys, if I had my way (which I hope will be sometime very soon), that will be my next bike. I will keep the Brutale for commuting and track days. But I would love that K-bike for some longer sport touring. I am going to try and pick up a used 2005 or 2006 (maybe from MVorBMW). I HATE those 2007 colors.

·
Registered
798 Posts
MV Manhattan said:
:confused: hmmm, but what would i replace it with?? its the fastest mf sport tourer out there!!
Gary, I didn't mean you. I was speaking of MVorBMW (Charlie).
BTW, what does "mf" stand for?
How do you like your K?

·
Registered
279 Posts
aaah...sorry to be so preumptuous..:eek:
MF stands for exactly what u think: mutherf....n.

I like the K alot...its the perfect compliment to the back breaking, wrist agonizing, cramp inducing ride we enjoy so much from the MV (haha). Seriously, the performance is simply outstanding and its the bike i use if i am doing long haul or multiple overnights as i hate riding with a backpack. It's also virtually maintenance free..amazing.
anucci said:
Gary, I didn't mean you. I was speaking of MVorBMW (Charlie).
BTW, what does "mf" stand for?
How do you like your K?

·
Registered
798 Posts
MV Manhattan said:
aaah...sorry to be so preumptuous..:eek:
MF stands for exactly what u think: mutherf....n.

I like the K alot...its the perfect compliment to the back breaking, wrist agonizing, cramp inducing ride we enjoy so much from the MV (haha). Seriously, the performance is simply outstanding and its the bike i use if i am doing long haul or multiple overnights as i hate riding with a backpack. It's also virtually maintenance free..amazing.
That's great to hear. I have been doing a lot of research on the bike, going to K-forums, magazine articles, etc. And I am hearing a lot about fueling issues and other software glitches. I may try and test ride one this weekend at Cliffs. I just have to convince my wife I "need" another bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i dont agree with the neg stuff re fuel issues, etc. i have had no problems. Yeah, the bike is jumpy, but no more so than my Senna. Its just that this is a new phenomenon to the BMW afficionados, who are accustomed to smooth, controlled power. The torque on this thing is amazing, which i think surprises people and they have a negative reaction. personally, i think its a blast.

·
Registered
279 Posts
if you're down this way at all, the GM of the BMW Manhattan dealer is a very good friend.. I can hook you up with him for whatever you need...

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
anucci said:
That's great to hear. I have been doing a lot of research on the bike, going to K-forums, magazine articles, etc. And I am hearing a lot about fueling issues and other software glitches. I may try and test ride one this weekend at Cliffs. I just have to convince my wife I "need" another bike.
no way
that is old news
the new ones.....
version 7 software are incredible
you really can't beat this bike
it's amazing

test ride one..... but, don't go if you don't want to buy one.... because you won't be able to resist once you twist that throttle the first time
it is SMOOTH PERSONIFIED

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
798 Posts
MV Manhattan said:
if you're down this way at all, the GM of the BMW Manhattan dealer is a very good friend.. I can hook you up with him for whatever you need...
Thanks, I appreciate it!
I was going to call BMW Manhattan to see if they had any granite grey 2006 leftovers and see if they would deal on them. Same with Cliffs. I would prefer to buy at Cliffs because that is where I would have it serviced.
I figure with the wind protection and the heated grips, I could ride into late November early December.

·
Registered
798 Posts
spalding12 said:
no way
that is old news
the new ones.....
version 7 software are incredible
you really can't beat this bike
it's amazing

test ride one..... but, don't go if you don't want to buy one.... because you won't be able to resist once you twist that throttle the first time
it is SMOOTH PERSONIFIED
That depends on who you talk to. If you go to k-bikes.com, there are mixed reviews on the Version 7 software. But I guess it doesn't matter. I will go and test ride one and see for myself :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
i wouldnt worry about where u buy it vs where u service it. When it comes to BMW, they dont care about that. Truth is, they dont make any money on the sales anyway, all the profit comes from the service side. So, Cliffs will love you no matter what.

As for how late in the year you ride-- i think you can do better than that. I ride year round if the roads are dry. Get yourself a heated vest and plug it into the accessory outlet. That, plus the heated grips, and i am usually good to go well into the winter

anucci said:
Thanks, I appreciate it!
I was going to call BMW Manhattan to see if they had any granite grey 2006 leftovers and see if they would deal on them. Same with Cliffs. I would prefer to buy at Cliffs because that is where I would have it serviced.
I figure with the wind protection and the heated grips, I could ride into late November early December.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i called BMW Manhattan for you...they have 06 leftovers in graphite. I would be happy to make an introduction for you when ur ready. Let me know
anucci said:
Thanks, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
756 Posts
The K is a great bike - the definition of sport touring. But after riding the F4 and Brutale it's hard to get used to the insulated ride. I guess that's the idea for the comfortable longer touring...but I feel disconnected. My issue is that I do so little true touring. Most of my rides are shorter - commuting, etc. But a BMW is essential for year round riding with heated grips and Gerbings. If necessary I'm covered in electric coils from shoulder to toe. I have zero complaints on the fueling issue or performance. It's almost car-like in it's smoothness and stability. As good as it is...just not an MV. And the new colors are awful.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Dry-Weight / Wet-weight
248 kg / 153 kg

The weights are backwards....sexy as hell still..but damn is 500+ lbs not sexy :laughing:

·
Registered
756 Posts
Actually, one complaint...vibration is a factor. But its all relative. After dropping the new exhaust on my 910R I could have kidney failure from riding that beast for more than 45 minutes

1 - 20 of 32 Posts