MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allez Floyd Landis!

I don't think I'm spoiling the outcome by saying that. The result of this year's Tour was already decided, albeit much later than in years past. Despite "bonking" a couple of days ago and surrendering the maillot jaune (the overall leader's yellow jersey), he managed to regain the time he lost and retake the lead before the final stage finish in Paris.

I didn't take pictures this time. I was in Paris in 2004 when Lance made history with his sixth consecutive victory. I went to the Champs Elysees which was packed to the curb about 27 people deep from the Arc to Concorde. My pictures were pretty crappy. So, this time I plopped down onto the couch of my usual pub and watched the whole thing on the plasma. The final sprint by Thor Hushovd over Robbie McEwen was fantastic!

I believe that Floyd's victory will continue to do what Lance had done for American cycling. That's not intended to be a boastful or patriotic comment, but rather an optimistic one about what they and others are doing/have done for the sport in the US. Also, I'm hopeful that they have set a good example for others by demonstrating good, clean sportsmanship in front of the world.

What do you think?

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Yes Randy, I agree, Floyd deserved his victory, although it must be said the other big teams made a fundamental mistake in letting him get away and regaining the 8 minutes he had lost. BTW 'Bonking' must have a different meaning in the US. It means :humpother over here!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Keep in mind that Landis is 30 years old, and with an upcoming hip replacement surgery, it may be a very difficult task to get back to where he is now. Typically cyclists are at their prime at the age of 28. They are considered "Masters" (old farts in cycling) at the age of 29. Anything above 30 is considered miracle if they remain/stay at the top of their game...Lance was one!

Also the out come may have been different with the likes of Ivan Basso, and Vinokourov. Landis was never targetted and attacked repeatedly by the other teams, as Lance was in the previous tours. He was kind let be by other teams throughout the tour...

I only thought Landis deserved to win only after he directed his anger after he bonked towards his solo come back/effort. Up until then, he seemed to only take the lead by default and not by domination and/or defending, countering attacks, or even his team taking charge of the peloton. Up until then his team and himself just rode other riders wheels.

But after I saw his determination to win, I thought it was deserving for him to win.

John, bonking in US means loss of muscle fuel in your system, i.e. food and water. Your body shuts down, and you feel almost as if you have a fever and lose all strengths.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
Keep in mind that Landis is 30 years old, and with an upcoming hip replacement surgery, it may be a very difficult task to get back to where he is now. Typically cyclists are at their prime at the age of 28. They are considered "Masters" (old farts in cycling) at the age of 29. Anything above 30 is considered miracle if they remain/stay at the top of their game...Lance was one!
The amazing thing is E. Zabel is still there! he has to be about 40 by now...

I am sure the tour would be very different with the other big names like Basso, Ulrich, Vino etc, but it's hard to say how much tougher as it is impossible to tell exactly how strong those guys would be without doping.

watching this year's tour, I was reminded how Lance's 7 year domination was nothing short of extraordinary.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
oldman can still kick ass... Ekimov is another peloton tough guy.

too bad for the doping scandal this year, however I must say it is still more entertaining to watch than the past few years, not that it was bad to see Lance winning year after year, but it sure was getting to be very predictable.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I finally have the OLN channel this year so I was able to follow the tour. I was glued to my set from 8 to 11pm every night. My wife thought I was insane. I was routing for Landis from the start but totally discounted him after he bonked. I could not believe what he pulled off in the following stage. Who thought he could come back and destroy the peleton and a breakaway group virtually on his own. Of course, everyone else must have discounted him too, because no team tried to bring him back. Oh, well, their mistake. I hope we get to see Landis race in the tour again, but it is highly doubtful with the impending hip replacement. But then again, that's what they said when a certain other American cyclist tried to come back after cancer.
Good luck Floyd!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
anucci said:
I finally have the OLN channel this year so I was able to follow the tour.
Speaking of OLN, my friend and her husband came over here on a VIP package hosted by OLN. My friend's husband is an ad exec in SoCal, so he gets these kinds of opportunities. They had grandstand seating at each finish, 5-star accomodations, luxury dinners, and cool events throughout the week they were in France following the tour to its end. They were even flown up to the top of L'Alpe-d'Huez in a private helicoptor!

Meanwhile, I watched it in a pub. The least they could have done was snag me some free schwag!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Randy said:
Speaking of OLN, my friend and her husband came over here on a VIP package hosted by OLN. My friend's husband is an ad exec in SoCal, so he gets these kinds of opportunities. They had grandstand seating at each finish, 5-star accomodations, luxury dinners, and cool events throughout the week they were in France following the tour to its end. They were even flown up to the top of L'Alpe-d'Huez in a private helicoptor!

Meanwhile, I watched it in a pub. The least they could have done was snag me some free schwag!
Jeeeez!!! I am in the wrong business. I never get cool perks like that.
My friend was there on some bicycle tour that was riding ahead of the actual race. Someday I hope to do that. For now, it's Alp d'Huez on the computrainer (once I am back in shape of course).

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Agreed on what a great job Landis did. I don't particularly think he was 'let be' by the other teams since he was one of the pre-tour GC favourites but it's perfectly understandable as I don't think anyone believed he could pull off what he did that stage for the full distance.

Great tour this year!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
anucci said:
Jeeeez!!! I am in the wrong business. I never get cool perks like that.
Tell me about it! I was heavily recruited by a certain firm before my senior year of undergrad. They did the whole 9 yards: helicoptor ride, fancy dinners, limos, crazy parties, travel/accomodations for "training" (read: more parties) at the global training campus. Ah, the good old days!

Maybe it's time for a change . . .

·
Registered
479 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
this is too bad...losing faith in the top level competition...
http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/10591.0.html
"Heightened testosterone", let's see what that means.

He has that messed up hip, and SOP for bad inflammation is injections of steroids of various types, like Cortisone.

I don't think Floyd, or his docs, are dumb enough to be taking something during the Tour that would knowingly make him "dirty".

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
John, bonking in US means loss of muscle fuel in your system, i.e. food and water. Your body shuts down, and you feel almost as if you have a fever and lose all strengths.

Pretty much the same then Kamran, as I feel washed out after a sex session. It's my age you know; but then, how do you manage at 140 mate? :naughty:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts