MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been awhile and i left abruptly and in a fit of rage BUT it turns out i may have been right to be peeved at the discussions we had for the simple reason the bike has been at proitalia now since May and the noise i heard after dealing with the host of other issues we all discussed cannot be identified.

The noise since it has been awhile is a combination of rod knock/ timing chain noise. The topic of cam chain tensioner main bearing failure etc.. has been properly taken care of although i did receive the lifter style unit that is definitely the wrong part for the 06' as it is a Flat tappet design Vs. Tapered and will take hits denting the ends making the thing very difficult to remove..

I recall discussing with the forums at the beginning of this journey a bad idle/poor performance/stalling issue and with the stuck fuel pump fittings forcing a replacement of the pump that lead to the issue of is it a canister/vacuum leak or is it the "EBS".. we then went down the path of various other issues only to end up with this noise which i have yet to share with you all.

At 4K the bike makes a metallic awful noise and it continues on at partial throttle yet goes away with a twist of the grip and only does it when warm. According to proitalia, Timing chain? Naw. Piston slap? Naw. Crankshaft bearings? Naw. One quick side note; Before i took it to the shop I found the previous owner had a chip in it of unknown origin and to make the bike run properly the person had dialed in the idle by "ear" so #1 & #2 throttle body were adjusted to 3/4 turn from seated while #3 & #4 throttle body were adjusted to 3 3/4 turns and 4 1/2 turns making a rich 1-2 and a very lean 3-4.

All of these minor issues on one bike forces me to the assumption this motor is highly fatigued and quite literally going to grenade on me. The protialia guys tore down the clutch.. its fine. they inspected the rotating assembly.. its fine. timing chain.. its fine.. they hear the noise and it is really bothering them but they are telling me the bike checks out. it does not overheat, it idles fine since i fixed the throttle body issue and it has all of its power SO... why does it sound like the rods are going to fly out of it at 4K and up under 1/4 throttle?..has anyone ever suffered a fatigue condition due to a host of errors?

its all i can come up with. lean 3&4 with rich 1&2 for possibly 8K miles, quite possibly the original oil filter on the bike.. possible needle bearing pieces on the oil pan magnet which proitalia cannot identify .. a few metal slivers per oil change and brass in the oil (looked like golshloger flakes) .. timing chain tensioner spring popped out of place and stuck.. some weird eprom chip.. a bad slipper clutch relay.. the bike had been what i have to assume raced and dropped due to the parts replaced but only had a mild scrape on the cover... after i got the bike and pulled the fairings for the first time i saw the motor was only held on by only one engine to frame bolt as one was snapped off forcing me to realign the frame etc.. yet all of these issues and still the bike checks out..

i know i am rambling but on one hand i have all the issues i dealt with causing high levels of frustration and fear and the other i have a pro MV shop telling me the bike is okay..

paying for a bike to sit in the shop for close to 3 months sucks and i hope nobody ever has to go through any of these things.. personally i think the warranty companies for MV should allow us to work on them since the shops are so few and far between. i could have rebuilt the motor twice by now and still come way under trade in ...bastards

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Wow, looks like you have a project bike there. Based on what you have written, it has been modified and is nowhere near factory spec.
I am struggling to work out who has done what. Have you been working on it, and then passed it on to Pro Italia when you couldn't find the issue?

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Yup, like before wrecker, you do ramble on about things you know very little about, at least in the way you explain about them.

Can you confirm your bike model, is it a Senna, or a 1000S, I assume 1000S.

Such fuel fitting, never heard of that one before?

There's been a few discussions on some upgrade timing chain tensioners, not working in some 1000S motors, best to check before installing it.

There's no such thing as a slipper clutch relay....wtf. If you have a 1000S, then the slipper clutch was installed afterwards.

Possible needle bearings in oil pan, has to be gearbox.

Who or when was the throttle bodies balanced, did Pro-Itala do it ?

Lastly, considering the noise you mention, what is your reference point, as in, have you ridden another MV to compare, what does the shop say about it ?

Man I wish you good luck, but to try and help you, you have to mark more sense, maybe tackle one possible problem at a time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LoL.. your funny. My one year anniversary posting about this bike is tomorrow. Maybe by then proitalia will just throw up their hands and say "We Give Up"..

i tuned the throttle bodies by ear based off of the min/max baseline manufacturer settings adjusted the eprom by ear and have a smooth idle well within specs, can now use the choke properly (back one year ago my post included the surface scratching of this issue) and proitalia signed off on the tune. they told me my bike has a really nice idle.. /bow

has to be a fracture in the crank that expands when heated noticeable due to a slight vibration in the pegs AND a more pronounced sound during a left hander which should be due to the fact there is more pressure on the left side of the crank under mild load due to the strait cut gear mesh and vibration transfer away from the clutch. Under load the crank twists ever so slightly which removes the gap and viola.. No noise.

Harley cranks break and since they were affiliated during the manufacture of the 06 or close enough to have made a fail rotating assembly what is to say they didn't supply the steel or the crummy cuts/ people already have noted the cranks were drilled improperly on some MV's...

lol.. i could go on for days.. all i wanted to do was ask a simple question and i failed miserably sooo..

QUESTION: has anyone ever had any experience with a fatigued rotating assembly grenading? if not. you will when i get the bike back and it still has the noise. Lol

now you see why i cannot change my name. if i do then its like aids. broken crankshafts for everyone!! hahahahahahaha

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh..REVHEAD.. all i have been doing is R&R (fuel pump, slipper clutch relay and some electrical) and a heck of a lot of reading. did oil changes and coolant flushes.. replaced the tensioner to re install the factory one.. that is all. mostly i have just been cleaning the plugs every month and checking for leaks, flushing the fluid for the brakes/clutch.. easy stuff. never opened the motor nor did i ever take off a cover..

everything i have found out was from extensive reading and it all leads to one thing. its still just a simple machine no matter how much people bark about them. its when you ignore the basics like why cant the idle be adjusted and why does it sputter so let me mickey the mouse it that these kind of issues happen.

whoever owned this bike before me was a total jackass and dumped it off but due to the ruggedness and performance of these machines nobody could see how bad it really ran until it was tore into and everything spec'd.. or it has a catastrophic failure which i am leaning towards.. the only way they will find the noise is to pull the crank and dust it which you know they will not do as the bike runs fine, it just makes a nasty sound that tells you your going to die if you ride it too hard.

my VIN is posted so if you see the bike? Just walk away... all you have to do is just walk away

don't forget to spit on my name when you turn because only a total asshole would trade in a bike knowing its going to kill someone

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Harley involved in the 06 MV manufacturing? Now I know you're crazy.
That minor crack in the crank, that's funny man.
Tuning throttle bodies and ECU by ear, I suppose you set the TPS like that too, I haven't heard of someone having to clean plugs every month, might be due to the "ear" tuning.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the crank did crack. and ya. when the new gen F4 came out Harley was involved in the manufacture.. further.. since WE just saw your post... I tuned the bike once by ear and did a better job than the CO tester could or did as far as this motor and eprom program was concerned...since the mixture screws were so far off base it was intolerable which .. those of you with plug issues need to know.. dipshits tune these bikes by ear for idle thinking the "eprom" is how you get the most performance gains yet tend to lose the idle and choke chasing that nightmare..see, the only way to make some douchebags eprom "tunes" work is to lean out cylinders 1/2 and richen 3/4 for the slipper clutch relay they call the "ebs" so not to not blow out your mufflers by lessening the backpressure by richening out the right two banks as the "ebs" or as we know it.. slipper clutch relay works off of 3 while using 4 to maintain a semblance of structure in the firing order.. which is why you get pinging at launch typically because 1/2 are way too lean and 3/4 tend to only matter in heavy deceleration.. and these bikes run retardedly hot in traffic as well as tend to wipe the bottom ends out.... do we blame MV or people that think they are factory race bikes.. I say the latter as these are super fun hyper cruisers that have a tremendous sound and presence.. sad they are ruined by the dozens ..
.. .. the motor was wiped from day one of sale which I now know thanks to extensive investigations based on whatever the fuck could go wrong did and I paid my dues.. don't ever think to insult me.. people like you getting all the breaks based on the sell the shit to others for trial and error sake... shame on you! gpcycles rebuilt my entire bottom end and as soon as it warmed up they spun all the rods.. now I am at the 1 year 6th month mark.. my warranty expired and the shop lied to me on the motor they tried to pass off which is why I came here to check dates so when I speak to the warranty company tomorrow I can recall these events (claim is already filed prior to expiration and its sad I had to type that) .....yet.. here you are with your retort. I appreciate the offer on the motor in Torrance but.. this experience is 11,000$ of sheer fucktardia and now my wife and I were looking at my posts due to my needing to end this and she saw you.. you have no idea what you did. your a true bastard

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Are you talking to me ?

I hope not, as I have no idea what you're going on about, and it doesn't seems like you know what you're on about either.:stickpoke

1. You do have a EBS (Engine Brake System) system, which works off cylinder #2 and is controlled via EPROM signal to a EBS relay which in turn opens a solenoid (item #34 in the drawing).
2. You do not have a slipper clutch. Look at the drawings, the one with the 4 clutch spring bolts are yours, the other is the 1078RR which had a slipper clutch.

It sounds like you're in pain mate, sorry I cant help, I cant help you with a motor, but I know who can.

Oh okay, don't bother responding, I see you're just hanging shit all over the forum at the moment, good luck mate.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I know its been awhile and i left abruptly and in a fit of rage BUT it turns out i may have been right to be peeved at the discussions we had for the simple reason the bike has been at proitalia now since May and the noise i heard after dealing with the host of other issues we all discussed cannot be identified.

The noise since it has been awhile is a combination of rod knock/ timing chain noise. The topic of cam chain tensioner main bearing failure etc.. has been properly taken care of although i did receive the lifter style unit that is definitely the wrong part for the 06' as it is a Flat tappet design Vs. Tapered and will take hits denting the ends making the thing very difficult to remove..

I recall discussing with the forums at the beginning of this journey a bad idle/poor performance/stalling issue and with the stuck fuel pump fittings forcing a replacement of the pump that lead to the issue of is it a canister/vacuum leak or is it the "EBS".. we then went down the path of various other issues only to end up with this noise which i have yet to share with you all.

At 4K the bike makes a metallic awful noise and it continues on at partial throttle yet goes away with a twist of the grip and only does it when warm. According to proitalia, Timing chain? Naw. Piston slap? Naw. Crankshaft bearings? Naw. One quick side note; Before i took it to the shop I found the previous owner had a chip in it of unknown origin and to make the bike run properly the person had dialed in the idle by "ear" so #1 & #2 throttle body were adjusted to 3/4 turn from seated while #3 & #4 throttle body were adjusted to 3 3/4 turns and 4 1/2 turns making a rich 1-2 and a very lean 3-4.

All of these minor issues on one bike forces me to the assumption this motor is highly fatigued and quite literally going to grenade on me. The protialia guys tore down the clutch.. its fine. they inspected the rotating assembly.. its fine. timing chain.. its fine.. they hear the noise and it is really bothering them but they are telling me the bike checks out. it does not overheat, it idles fine since i fixed the throttle body issue and it has all of its power SO... why does it sound like the rods are going to fly out of it at 4K and up under 1/4 throttle?..has anyone ever suffered a fatigue condition due to a host of errors?

its all i can come up with. lean 3&4 with rich 1&2 for possibly 8K miles, quite possibly the original oil filter on the bike.. possible needle bearing pieces on the oil pan magnet which proitalia cannot identify .. a few metal slivers per oil change and brass in the oil (looked like golshloger flakes) .. timing chain tensioner spring popped out of place and stuck.. some weird eprom chip.. a bad slipper clutch relay.. the bike had been what i have to assume raced and dropped due to the parts replaced but only had a mild scrape on the cover... after i got the bike and pulled the fairings for the first time i saw the motor was only held on by only one engine to frame bolt as one was snapped off forcing me to realign the frame etc.. yet all of these issues and still the bike checks out..

i know i am rambling but on one hand i have all the issues i dealt with causing high levels of frustration and fear and the other i have a pro MV shop telling me the bike is okay..

paying for a bike to sit in the shop for close to 3 months sucks and i hope nobody ever has to go through any of these things.. personally i think the warranty companies for MV should allow us to work on them since the shops are so few and far between. i could have rebuilt the motor twice by now and still come way under trade in ...bastards

Are the cam sprockets loose ? The bolts have been known to come adrift.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103969&highlight=cam+sprocket

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Donsy, new member reading this thread and totaly confused! Hope if I have a problem you'll be around to help. Thanks in advance!
Don't go near anything Wrecker says. Just ask in a new thread or PM me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts