MV Agusta Forum banner

2006 MV IDLE Issues

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  spegr 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay....so I have about 2002 miles on my MV F4, had it stored in climate controlled storage while I was overseas for 6 months....drained what gas I could (no Ethanol gas) treated the the remain gallon with Stabil.....
When I got back my battery is dead. No surprise...bought a new one, then filled the tank with fresh gas...but its almost like my idle lever doesnt have any effect when I start it.....it's always been cold natured...but idled PERFECT that web.wub...wub..wub sound until it gets the temp up.
It will stay running and warm up if I hold my finger down on the idle cold start lever...but if I walk away it rumbles and dies....does the same at a traffic light when I stop. No cool points on such a beautiful bike when a Ninja rolls up next to me!
I rode it tonight for about 30 miles with a couple blasts up to 100 to burn off the plugs or burn off any carbon??

Anybody else have this problem? I have Arrow Pipes on it..but it always idled perfect...that wub..wub..wub...wub...until it was warmed up, now I almost have to roll a little throttle on to keep it running. No flat spots on accelaration and it pulls like a freight train when I get on it......just hates to idle.!??????

Suggestions other than a mechanic?
:f4:

See less See more
#2 ·
Idle speed is too low. You need a careful tuning of idle speed,TPS and throttle body synch. That's it.

Where are you? Would be happy to help if you are near me.

#4 ·
No....just get the free software from the forum (search) and buy the cables. Throttle body vacuum synch, followed by idle speed adjust with throttle stop screw (if needed), and the TPS reset (software).

Several threads on this subject. 16M ECU also benefits from idle CO% trim.

#6 ·
Before throwing the bambino away with the bath water, I would check the throttle cable isn't slack. If it is the throttle toggle lever will be ineffective.

Do the cheap simple fix first..or at least eliminate it.

and from what you have described it sounds very much like it is a cable issue..either way it should be checked.

joe

#7 ·
Have to agree with Joe.....the question is, does it idle smoothly at proper speed when warmed up? If so, then cable slack is likely all it is. The fast idle lever (some call it the choke) will not stay "on" by itself. You must hold it there. But you should not have to hold it on for very long as the ECU will inject more fuel while engine temps are low.

My 910R began to idle at lower speeds and the ECU wouldn't keep it running without my input until fully warmed up (sounds like what you are experiencing). And when fully warm the idle speed was in the low side of the spec.
I found the throttle stop screw on the cable pulley had, over many miles, backed itself out closing the throttle plates further and further. It has a "self locking" type thread that just didn't positively lock the screw. I turned it in until the idle speed was correct and then reset the TPS with the VDST software. My bike now starts and warms up like it did when it was new again.

#8 ·
Hmmm, Ed, you might want to check your fast idle lever...mine stays on quite nicely by itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.