MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

Now that I am getting a 2006 MV Agusta Brutale 750cc (1000 miles on the counter), what are the problems I am likely to encounter on this model over its lifespan?

In other words, what is it I particulaly need to pay attention to in order to have a overall lasting good experience with it?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Search for SPU (Service Power unit), sometimes an issue (luck of the draw with these)

Four year old model with less than a 1000m - would change all fluids - potentially have rear Eccentric hub bearings checked (main bearing being the more at risk one....the pin roller less so)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Search for SPU (Service Power unit), sometimes an issue (luck of the draw with these)

Four year old model with less than a 1000m - would change all fluids - potentially have rear Eccentric hub bearings checked (main bearing being the more at risk one....the pin roller less so)

Thank you for your tips.
Do you think I could at least ride it home before doing these?

Thoughts about best fluids to get?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Absolutely bud...!!

SPU - read the threads so you can recognise the symptons - (IF) it's going to happen, there's nothing you can do to stop it...just a design flaw in the early models that sometimes occurs and sometimes not

Fluids - Seach on best oils, break fluids etc (the water reserve is under the key guard..yes you need to remove the key guard to get at it if required)

All I can say is that MV's should be ridden and not stored for the once every 8 week special ride...they do run better when they're being used !

...and welcome to the family

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
All I can say is that MV's should be ridden and not stored for the once every 8 week special ride...they do run better when they're being used !

...and welcome to the family
+1 on both these!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot :brutale:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Buy a good torque wrench if you don't already have one, then make sure all the nuts and bolts are tightened to manufacturers specification - Not over tightened.

Pay particular attention to the Hub Centric Bolts, always make sure they are tightened to the correct tension after adjusting the chain.

I changed the rear hub bearings at 35,000KM as a precaution, travelled 42,000KM and never had a problem with the Brutale.

Enjoy :)

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Buy a good torque wrench if you don't already have one, then make sure all the nuts and bolts are tightened to manufacturers specification - Not over tightened.

Pay particular attention to the Hub Centric Bolts, always make sure they are tightened to the correct tension after adjusting the chain.

I changed the rear hub bearings at 35,000KM as a precaution, travelled 42,000KM and never had a problem with the Brutale.

Enjoy :)
I haven't got a torque wrench but was thinking getting one.
I am not familiar with quality brand tools in UK. I don't see the ones I used to be familiar with. Any suggestion for one of these will be greatly appreciated.
I heard cheapish torque wrench can sometimes give you a torque a bit off from what you were expecting.

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
roughly 150-175BPS is the right figure :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey congrats on the purchase. I had a stalling problem when I picked up my bike. I feared the worst when it started stalling but it turned out that it was just a tuning issue and was easily sorted out. This could have happened as the bike was sitting for a while before I bought it. So I went ahead and had all the fluids changed and never had a problem since. Enjoy the ride.
Sarge

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey congrats on the purchase. I had a stalling problem when I picked up my bike. I feared the worst when it started stalling but it turned out that it was just a tuning issue and was easily sorted out. This could have happened as the bike was sitting for a while before I bought it. So I went ahead and had all the fluids changed and never had a problem since. Enjoy the ride.
Sarge
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
potentially have rear Eccentric hub bearings checked (main bearing being the more at risk one....the pin roller less so)
I guess the bearings will be looking like new in terms of wearing. So I should be looking for rust and see if the grease hasn't dried (could it?) ?

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Sorry bud - I wasn't trying to be confusing. 150 - 175 sterling (price) - the torque range needs to handle the rear hub 240NM

The rear bearings should look like new....but with a bike that's done so little km over a long period....I'd like the piece of mind knowing I'd checked it to make sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts