MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons (besides price) of getting a 2008 910S over a 2006 910S? I have found a 2006 leftover 910S in the color I want (Silver/Red) and would like to know the concensus of the group about the 2006 vs. a 2008?

I think the major difference is that the 2008 has a one piece exhaust? Any other differences? More or less performance? Differences?

Thanks is advance, Phil

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
'08 delivers an extra 4HP stock...would one however really feel them?
'06 can be tuned with a PowerCommander easily...there's no PC for '08 for the moment.
'06 cat chamber can be easily removed...'08 cat can hardly be removed (it can though, but you have to find an '06 collector like i did).

So, if you get a very good discount on a '06, buy it!

·
Registered
417 Posts
i have the 910R,and it has suptle mods,like an extra cooling fan,i had the new ecu fitted because i carried the 06 race pipes ( headers and midpipe )over to it,the new bike is much better imo.So i think if they ironed out probs with the R the S would follow yes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Unless you're content with the performance and feel of the 06, I would wait for the 08s. Here's why.

Look at the technology that cascades from the F4 bikes into the Brutale lineup. While the "extra" horsepower isn't something you will feel, the Marelli 5SM fuel management system is replacing the 1.6 system. Look on here about posts concerning fuel economy and throttle response.

The catalytic converter and ECU issue is a workaround in either situation, IMHO. Either you replace the ECU on the 2006, or have it reflashed on the 2008 (since it's not replaceable). The 5SM fuel system allows for more modification points in the ECU, so why woudl anyone need to replace it?

I may be holding on for an 08. I'd rather pass on these early models, since it seems there have been some teething issues. I would have to believe that the money you "save" on the 06 would be spent on getting it running to your satisfaction.

Also, as far as I know, the 08s will remain available in the silver/red combo.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd see if the dealer will let you take both bikes for a 2 mile test ride and I'd get the one that didn't have any fueling issues. I just got an 06 910s about 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. It has never surged/stalled or had any other fueling problems in the first 1100 miles. It does run smoother and stronger now that it has a few miles on it. And I haven't spent any $ on getting it to run to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Won't be any 08 910S (or 910R)--Only 989R and 1078R, and the colors are entirely different, though A red/silver is available for the 989.

·
Registered
22 Posts
fazer6 said:
Won't be any 08 910S (or 910R)--Only 989R and 1078R, and the colors are entirely different, though A red/silver is available for the 989.
The US 2008 models are effectively labeled as 07s. These are the 2007 models that were available in Europe this last summer. Note that when the 06s arrived, they came here during the 2007 model year. It's not uncommon.

Ergo, the 08s you describe will be here in 09. So, the Milan release will not arrive here until that time. I have discussed this at length with my dealers.

As far as potential issues, I'm sure they show up here more frequently (spoken about on forum discussions) and members here have spoken well about the 2006s. But my 2 cents are on better technology and revised details on the 08s.

·
Registered
415 Posts
fazer6 said:
Would be interesting to hear what you hardcore 750 enthusiasts think about the new line up?

I know you fazer have always prefered your 750 compared to the 910, what do you think about the 989 and the 1078, from what we know so far?

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
the_thomas said:
Would be interesting to hear what you hardcore 750 enthusiasts think about the new line up?

I know you fazer have always prefered your 750 compared to the 910, what do you think about the 989 and the 1078, from what we know so far?

Honestly, I can't imagine trying to keep 2-wheels on the ground with a 1078 (recall CC once said 1000cc is too much for the brutale's seating position).

I was really looking forawrd to a 675 triple--Like the triumph, only with Taburini's attention to detail, and the screaming MV engine characteristics.

For me, the F4 is the ultimate track bike, and the Brutale is the ultimate street bike--but 1078cc is just too much, and I'm not sure there's enough difference between the two 'R' bikes now (989 vs 1078), to justify those two brutale models (vs the now S vs R); It would have been better to have the 989 (or even still 910) and a 675.
I think MV is really missing out by not having a middle-weight contender anymore.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
fazer6 said:
Honestly, I can't imagine trying to keep 2-wheels on the ground with a 1078 (recall CC once said 1000cc is too much for the brutale's seating position).

I was really looking forawrd to a 675 triple--Like the triumph, only with Taburini's attention to detail, and the screaming MV engine characteristics.

For me, the F4 is the ultimate track bike, and the Brutale is the ultimate street bike--but 1078cc is just too much, and I'm not sure there's enough difference between the two 'R' bikes now (989 vs 1078), to justify those two brutale models (vs the now S vs R); It would have been better to have the 989 (or even still 910) and a 675.
I think MV is really missing out by not having a middle-weight contender anymore.
+1. Somehow I get the idea Castiglioni might actually know what he's talking about. ;)

Unless you're routinely tracking the bike (and the F-4 is a MUCH better choice for that) or all you do is ride from stoplight to stoplight (and a Hayabusa is better for that) virtually all sport riding is done at part-throttle anyway. More HP simply doesn't factor in. But it sells.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Already the 910 has to be treated with respect in order not to flip over. Still, i can´t really understand the argue against more HP, when its only a matter of using it smart. Of course you could say that the bike is fast enough as a 910 and that it doesn´t benefit in lap times, but still I prefer to have massive power to use as i like. If it means that the bike goes up on its rear tyre on fourth gear when fullthrottled in 180 kmh, i will ride it with that knowledge. Probably once in a while use it in that way but mostly :naughty: , knowing about it, riding on my level, exactly as now with the 910.

Having more horse powers will not necessarily make me faster but it will definitely not slow me down, guess thats what im trying to say:)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you found a bike you like at a good price go for it. I rode one of the first 910's in the usa and found it to be a great mc. It had plenty of evrything for me. You may find that it needs NO engine mgt mods and the extra money can be spent on cosmetic stuff and riding gear.

Guys here certainly have done some nice stuff to their Bruts. But I think you should get the 06 and ride the shit out of it SAFELY!

But do your homework here, search threads, ask questions and good luck. Make sure ANY mc purchase stirs your soul and gives u a woody.

Peter

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I should explain where I am coming from.

I currently own a 2004 Brutale 750S. I bought it on a lark after a test ride. I think it is a phenomenal motorcycle! I also own lots of other European bikes (mostly BMW's, but also Ducati's Triumph, Magni, and a few Honda's and Yamaha's.)

I went to the Motorcycle Show in NYC in January and the ONLY bike I saw there that I would actually consider buying was a Silver and Red 910S. My 750 is the Matte Gray color, which I thinks works quite well on the Brute but wouldn't be my first choice of color.

So that is what is driving the change, more than anything, from the 750 to the 910. I am sure that the 910 is a quantum leap ahead of the 750, but then again, I really don' t think that the 750 is lacking performance. It's just that if I am going to own a Brute, it might as well be the one that I lust after!

Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
New Brute in my garage!!

So I traded in my 750 this past weekend on a brand new left over 2006 910S. It is Silver/Red and is even more stunning in person than I remember!

I put about 40 miles on it yesterday and am very happy with it! Even though it is supposed to have the same frame as my old 750, it seems roomier and more comfortable. I can't wait until it is broken in, but for now as we head into the winter months, I will have to get my jollies looking at it and waxing it!! :)

The only mods I am considering is adding an E-Moto painted hugger and maybe going to clear turn signals and brake lights. I have found in the past that the clear stuff is even brighter than the colored stuff.

I also want to unpin either my controls or my handlebar so I can have more adjustability for my mirrors. On my 750, I unpinned the controls so I may try to unpin the handlebars this time. In either case it is a PITA to have everything pinned.

Thanks, Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Phactory said:
Thanks, my feelings exactly! Now I have to sell my 2004 750S and snag the 2006!

Thanks, Phil
Congrats Phil, just got your message! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dave,

Thanks, switch the pads to what? Front and rear? I am just bedding in the stockers now.

Thanks, Phil

1 - 20 of 31 Posts