MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2005 MV Agusta F4 1000$ with 20,000 miles. I've put 6000 of those miles on the bike. I've been diligent with the maintenance and have taken it to the dealer for basically everything. I had the major 15,000 mile service a few months after I bought it. I haven't done any crazy modifications. I've added the Muzzy fans and that's about it. Recently, the dealer replaced a fuel injector relay.

Anyway, my bike starts up no problem. It's when I start to ride that things get nightmarish. Idling at a light, she sounds like an old VW Bug that is about to cut out at any minute. Some times she dies, sometimes she doesn't. One thing for sure is that I have to feather the clutch and rev the engine to get her going. When I'm on the highway, if I open the throttle nothing happens for about 5 seconds and then I'll be hit with a surge. It doesn't matter what gear I'm in. Even with a steady throttle, the bike will surge. It feels as though it's getting a lot of fuel and then not enough. With this problem, turns become things to be avoided because I'm afraid a surge will kick in while I have her leaned over. I've tried fuel additives, changing gas stations, all to no avail. I live in a pretty humid and hot area. Lately, it's been 89 degree but with the humidity it feels like 95 degree. I really hope you guys can shed some light on the situation. I'm very frustrated and don't know if I can take it any more. I haven't had one trouble free ride yet. It's a pity, because she so beautiful to look at, but not to ride. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
22,845 Posts
First...where are you?
Second...do you have decent mechanical skills?
Third...can you check the TPS setting?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in South Florida. I have decent skills. I've never checked the TPS sensor. The dealer checked it though.

·
Super Moderator
22,845 Posts
Did this problem begin after the dealer replaced the fuel injector relay, or was it present before?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked my records to be sure. They changed the EBS relay in June. It seemed to perform better for a few weeks. Three weeks ago, I had the gaskets around the gearshift, and clutch replaced because it was leaking a lot of oil. Since then it has been worse.

·
Administrator
20,754 Posts
You have a 16M ECU that requires very specific throttle body synch, TPS adjustment and idle CO% trim.

Did your dealer replace the plugs? with what kind? Can the tell you where the TPS is and what they set the CO % to?

The MV with 16M ECU is very sensitive to proper tune. I suspect that is all you are dealing with. Or perhaps a fuel filter that is in need pf replacement....that could be it as well.

·
Super Moderator
22,845 Posts
Interesting, Ed, as I was thinking fuel filter, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed the filter recently. The dealer suspects it may be a coil. We'll see. I hope it's something easy like a clogged filter...

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
The dealer should run a diagnostic procedure to pin point the fault. It isn't a matter of stabbing at it to try and find the issue by luck.

The challenge is, to find the fault and repair it, one should not try and go straight to the fault. One should follow a logical diagnostic procedure which will root out the fault by a process of elimination..

We all do it..come to some conclusion over coffee and then go out to the bike without a proper strategy.

I try ( don't always do it tho ! ) to stand back from the problem..read the manual..and then follow a logical investigation and follow a path which will eliminate the fault.
It takes patience to do this as a home mechanic ..but it is the best way in the end practically every time.

just my tuppence worth.

joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
According to the dealer the spark plugs grounded. They changed the spark plugs and it seems to be running fine. Is this a common problem with MV?

·
Registered
658 Posts
It seems to be! did the same thing and found out the spark plug causing the itermitting surges or splattering.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Mine had similar issues when I got it back in 2007. Then I found the MV FAQ and it had a part number for iridium plugs that were confirmed to fix some plug related issues. So I order and installed the listed NGK (if memory serves) iridium plugs from amazon and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't seem to win. Third day out the shop and my battery light comes on and the bike dies two blocks from my house. I didn't hear the familiar fuse "pop", so I'm not sure what's going on. I'm going to check the fuses tomorrow and charge the battery overnight. We'll see...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the bike blew the fuse on the lefthand side. I've replaced the fuse and I'm charging the battery. Let's hope for the best!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine did that too. PN//8000A3729. buy it. try it. put it on the frame away from the heat. betcha the dealer stuck it between the 1&2 header pipes like they did me. gradual fail that leads to nightmare conditions. its a black square box with a white plug. box is about 2X1". all the things you had happen to you mine did and that part fixed it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts