MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions?

This one might actually end up at a reasonable price. :f4:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MV-Agusta-F4-1000-2005-mv-agusta-f-4-1000-right-year-right-color-no-reserve-/231334432990?forcerrptr=true&hash=item35dc9b50de&item=231334432990&pt=US_motorcycles

:conveyer:

- Upgraded billet water pump means no overheating issues.
- Ceramic coated mid pipe and exhaust tips for heat management.
- Mid-frame and swingarm professionally painted silver for the Ago look.
- Cat removed.
- BMC filter.
- Kevlar belly pan.
- New fork seals, new fork oil.
- Dunlop DOT race tires, take-offs from a race bike.
- Even the wheels are damn near perfect.
- Rear stand goes with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Dana, I think '05 is a great F4 year. That bike looks to have been tracked, as evidenced by the rear tire. Not that tracking a bike is always a bad thing, but I'd quiz the owner about it. The cable tie on the fork tube is evidence of it having been tracked, as no one does that except to see suspension travel when braking on the track. And no one puts DOT take offs on a bike unless they've been to the track.

If he says it hasn't been tracked, I'd want to know how he bubbled the edges of those tires on the street.

His seller feedback shows he has sold a set of '05 F4 rear sets in the last 6 months. I'd ask him about that.

Since the catalytic converter as been removed, I'd want to understand what has been done to the ECU/fueling to prevent a lean running condition.

27,000 miles is on the higher side for most F4's, and I'd question if the rear hub/bearing has been replaced, etc.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's really hard to find a used bike for a decent price that isn't in some way rough, isn't it? Ah capitalism.
I'm waiting for the Rapture so I can move into a televangelist's house and drive his Ferraris.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Dana.....what if God recalls all the Ferraris when the Rapture comes?

:naughty:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Dana, I think '05 is a great F4 year. That bike looks to have been tracked, as evidenced by the rear tire. Not that tracking a bike is always a bad thing, but I'd quiz the owner about it. The cable tie on the fork tube is evidence of it having been tracked, as no one does that except to see suspension travel when braking on the track
Except perhaps anyone who has had their suspension set up by a pro, or has done it themselves and can't measure the sag and sit on the bike at the same time, and just hasn't removed the tie-wrap afterwards, like my other bike ......

italia said:
And no one puts DOT take offs on a bike unless they've been to the track
Clearly except myself and and several friends, who find it a cheap way to run sticky tyres on their road bikes .....

italia said:
If he says it hasn't been tracked, I'd want to know how he bubbled the edges of those tires on the street
Because, as he says in the ad, they are take-off's from a race bike?

italia said:
Since the catalytic converter as been removed, I'd want to understand what has been done to the ECU/fueling to prevent a lean running condition
Mine was actually a little rich after we cut the cat out?

italia said:
27,000 miles is on the higher side for most F4's, and I'd question if the rear hub/bearing has been replaced, etc.
Indeed :)

It's almost a 10yr old bike, and if you are buying at the cheaper end of the market you are going to have to accept a few battle scars or risks ........ just get as much history as possible and go with your gut. As Italian bikes go, the MV's seem quite robust and reliable other than issues mentioned above or addressed in the ad?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys,

Thank you to Dana for sending me a link to this thread, I am the man behind the curtain so I can answer any questions direct.

These are all good questions and observations, BTW. :)

I am an MV guy, and I know it sounds crazy but I have 2 05 F4's in my garage right now, same color and everything since it is the most iconic color scheme on F4's, IMO. This one is a mono-posto, my other is a bi-posto. I'm keeping the 2 seater because the wife 'says' she want to ride with, but I know she wont. lol. I also have a Buell XB12 that I ride most days, just because it is low-key, sloppy and fun.

I am also an Ex racer, I held the #7 and #10 plates in 04-05 in the AFM series, so I have been around the block a few times.

As for the questions asked, yes these are Dunlop race takeoffs on the bike, which is why they are balled up. In the background you will see my Buell has the same set, so does my other Agusta. I pick these up from my local Dunlop rep because they are great tires on the cheap. I have not tracked this bike, however I did take my Buell and my bi-posto to Thunderhill earlier this year.

As for the zip tie on the forks, its an old racer habit. I just replaced the fork seals and oil and I always run a zip tie or o-ring to help set sag and keep an eye on things.

Rearsets on ebay are from my other MV, replaced with adjustable.

Seat I currently have on ebay is from this bike, I didn;t like the suede feel so I went back to the stock seat.

Cat removal was to stop cooking my heel, and I did not get and adverse running from removing it so I did not opt for the powercommander. I did to the ceramic coating in a place in Sacramento as well to keep the heat off my legs and ass, works well actually.

27k is on the high side, and the market will adjust for it. I don't have history on the hub, but I know it is not a fancy one and it does not show signs of play. My other Agusta has a stock hub as well, I never saw those issues.

Guys, it is a good solid bike and I'm not trying to pull a fast one over. Hard to believe in today's age. lol.

-Kurt.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks very much for the reply, Kurt, much appreciated. I had, previously, a 30k mile '93 900SS and a 10k mile 996, so 27k doesn't bother me a lot if it hasn't been abused.

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The auction has days to run yet. The Donald might still bid the bike up to half a million dollars.

Also, I'm worried that the bike won't compare to my old Ducatis.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Except perhaps anyone who has had their suspension set up by a pro, or has done it themselves and can't measure the sag and sit on the bike at the same time, and just hasn't removed the tie-wrap afterwards, like my other bike ......

Interesting Moose. I've had my track bike suspension set up by an Ohlins professional who didn't use a cable tie on the fork. I've never tried to set my sag by myself - always just got a couple of friends to help - so never thought of somebody using a cable tie on the fork for that reason.

Clearly except myself and and several friends, who find it a cheap way to run sticky tyres on their road bikes .....

In my world Moose, the only people who use DOT take offs use them as track day tires, so it wouldn't dawn on me to think that someone actually wanted to use DOTs on a street bike. :)

Because, as he says in the ad, they are take-off's from a race bike?

Yeah, I read that. Guess you're just not a big a cynic as I am. :naughty:

Mine was actually a little rich after we cut the cat out?

That's a new one on me. I'm not a mechanic, but I've never heard of someone reducing restriction in their exhaust and it causing fueling to be richer. I learn something new every day.

Indeed :)

It's almost a 10yr old bike, and if you are buying at the cheaper end of the market you are going to have to accept a few battle scars or risks ........ just get as much history as possible and go with your gut. As Italian bikes go, the MV's seem quite robust and reliable other than issues mentioned above or addressed in the ad?
Yes indeed. :) Moose, you're likely not as skeptical of eBay sellers as me, and though I may have jumped to conclusions about a bike with DOT take offs and a cable tie on the fork, which in my world is most common on track used bikes, I am most pleased that my post elicited responses from the seller that Dana may be interested in knowing. :)

·
Banned
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes indeed. :) Moose, you're likely not as skeptical of eBay sellers as me, and though I may have jumped to conclusions about a bike with DOT take offs and a cable tie on the fork, which in my world is most common on track used bikes, I am most pleased that my post elicited responses from the seller that Dana may be interested in knowing. :)
The last thing I "bought" on Ebay, a Fuji XPro1 that I wanted for a backup wedding camera, never arrived. Seller got the money and, poof. Gone. Fortunately EBay refunded my money, but it was a wake-up call. Some Russian teenager got $600 to continue his life of luxury in one of Stalin's old houses, or ISIS was able to buy another couple of Kalashnikovs.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
And Kurt, I apologize that my assumptions about your bike may have been unjust to you. I didn't mean to cause you any harm with your auction. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
And Kurt, I apologize that my assumptions about your bike may have been unjust to you. I didn't mean to cause you any harm with your auction. :)
No worries at all Italia, your questions and observations are right on the money and should be asked.

There are lots of crappy people out there on eBay and others, so it pays to be diligent for sure.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Been watching this bike myself. Just chiming in to comment on what a good thread this is. Good potential buyer, good observations by the crew, and the seller comes in and presents himself and the bike in question well.

Thanks to all. Good forum, this. :)

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
"Good potential buyer"

Now that's funny.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Lol, I have no response to that.

Are you actually going to buy an F4? Come to the dark side. You won't regret it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts