MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a Tamburini, mainly as a pure Sunday toy and possibly as a collectible.

What are the key reasons to avoid like the plague, if any? One concern has got to be the irreplaceable carbon fairing maybe?

I've got my eye on a specific bike and the price might be attractive enough to tempt me.
Thanks!
Mike

· Super Moderator
7,706 Posts
I've owned a Tamburini for about 6 years now.
It has around 22,000 kilometres on her.
It's about to go on a 2,000 kilometre trip around the South Island of New Zealand.
I'll be removing the carbon fairings and placing on a spare set of fairings.
Do it.
It is an intoxicating bike, almost without peer.
Dave.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
Key reasons .....?
Mate the bike is pure sex on wheels.
When riding this bike all I can imagine is ud need a mop for ur own drool and copious amount of condoms for the women u will pull.

Stunning stunning bike. Just as reliable as any other bike. Except in ten years time other bikes will age terribly this won't.

Do I own one. No. Do I want one. First born available for trade

Get it if u can. U will not regret it

· Registered
4,603 Posts
Dave and Rob have it bud, you'll be owning a piece of history that goes balls to the wall. Like Dave said, If you can afford a Tambo, you can afford a spare set of fairings for riding long trips. And if you've never owned an MV, here is a tip, it only takes about 15 minutes to swap ALL of the fairings.

· Registered
8,175 Posts
I've owned a Tamburini for about 6 years now.
It has around 22,000 kilometres on her.
It's about to go on a 2,000 kilometre trip around the South Island of New Zealand.
I'll be removing the carbon fairings and placing on a spare set of fairings.
Do it.
It is an intoxicating bike, almost without peer.
Dave.
This is coming from a guy with a CC and a very very nice moded 312.

· Super Moderator
7,706 Posts
Here is a summary of some of the bikes we own, their characteristics and an idea of where the Tamburini sits within this particular group of bikes, in my opinion:

Using them the vast majority of the time on the road, I'm thinking that these bikes are like 3 different wines from the same vineyard.
They are certainly different enough that you'd be able to tell the difference in a blind test ride - up until you fell as riding a bike blindfolded is not a particularly good idea.

So I guess it depends on your mood. If you're looking for a spirited ride through some sweeping corners the Tamburini is the one to go for - from 4,000 towards the top of the redline that bike just sounds sooooo beautiful. Picture a twisty tree lined stretch of tarmac in the sun and a Tamburini and nothing to do but take in the scenery and feedback from such a beautiful bike - that's the best of the lot for that job. The sound of that bike is significantly different to the other two. Maybe that came over on the video but the difference on the bike is very striking. You will never get tired of opening the taps on a Tamburini just for the joy of that sound.
Then lets say you wanted to have a crack at a track day - I'd agree with Kev & Glen. That's where the 312R is at its best and it does trump the other two. A very capable point to point bike, it has the best suspension fitted and a more than adequate engine.
So, the F4CC? Where does that fit in?
That F4CC makes a journey more special than most destinations. I guess to explain what I mean by that is riding an F4CC to just about anywhere is going be more memorable than the location you arrive at. An incredibly rare thing to see one out and about no matter where you are in the world. Some of my very close friends have ridden that bike and as a result it has more importance to me than the components that make up the bike.

· Registered
17,193 Posts
The Tambo is arguably the undisputed King of the Hill amongst ALL F4 models, new and old. Faster bikes? Sure. More technically advanced bikes? Sure. Better investments amongst F4 models? No,no,no......

Sticky point to consider: The Tamburini is less of a motorcycle and more of an example of industrial artistic perfection. You are not really the owner of a Tambo, but the conservator for future generations. There were only 300 built, less the few that have been bastardized or crashed.

Is that what you want? Yes, of course, it's your money, and certainly your prerogative, but would you "fix" Mona Lisa's smile just because you owned it, and could do so?

The Tamburini is our Mona Lisa.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
oh man
randy u nailed it perfectly
just gold

The Tambo is arguably the undisputed King of the Hill amongst ALL F4 models, new and old. Faster bikes? Sure. More technically advanced bikes? Sure. Better investments amongst F4 models? No,no,no......

Sticky point to consider: The Tamburini is less of a motorcycle and more of an example of industrial artistic perfection. You are not really the owner of a Tambo, but the conservator for future generations. There were only 300 built, less the few that have been bastardized or crashed.

Is that what you want? Yes, of course, it's your money, and certainly your prerogative, but would you "fix" Mona Lisa's smile just because you owned it, and could do so?

The Tamburini is our Mona Lisa.

· Registered
3,148 Posts
culminator
im pretty certain u have ur answer here.
the replies to this post (please don't count mine) cant come from better educated people mate.

· Registered
2,161 Posts
I beg to differ on randys post and opinion. The tambo is a sexy machine arsthetically the red and black and gold wheels set it off i hope to have one soon as i have my eye on one.

BUT the tambo in my eyes is not the big daddy of mvs and not the be all and end all. The CC kicks its ass in performance and is more pf a collectible with only 100 made excuse me only 99 with castiglioni having the first one. Then you have the veltro and veltro pista which i believe you can count on two hands maybe.

The CC is the king as i have pulled up numerous times to fill up petrol and guys would get down on there knees and bow down too me like they were praying to mecca. But thats just my opinion

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

· Registered
2,156 Posts
The Tambo IS THE goldilocks of all the modern MV F4. Just perfect.

Even though I rarely ride her, my heart still skips a beat when I pull the covers off 007.

The only change I did was to add a Motocorse Ti slipon and change the rearsets as all MV rearsets are too slippery. I've also exhaust wrap the headers so the heat from the headers does not discolour the carbon fiber fairings. I will not add or modify anything else on her.

A bit of history.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30042&highlight=tambo+007

· Registered
2,161 Posts
Rob if you read my post i say the tambo is a great bike and he should get as i state i want one. My post is aimed particulary at whether the tambo is the F4 of all F4's which in my opinion and i bet many others would disagree. The CC puts it sllover the tambo. Ive ridden both and you can not compare there daylight between them.

Maybe the tambo colour is a little more blingy but the components on it are no where near as special asthe CC. Its the king of kings.

· Super Moderator
25,965 Posts
I've wanted a Tamburini since before I got my 312R.
Right now I'm hatin'.
The Tamburini is, bar none...even the CC, the King of the MV F4 hill.

· Registered
879 Posts
Buy it for the joy, the ride, and the pride.

If by collectible you mean monetary investment with the hope of making money in the short or long run, I would reconsider.

Enjoy.

I'm thinking of buying a Tamburini, mainly as a pure Sunday toy and possibly as a collectible.

What are the key reasons to avoid like the plague, if any? One concern has got to be the irreplaceable carbon fairing maybe?

I've got my eye on a specific bike and the price might be attractive enough to tempt me.
Thanks!
Mike

· Registered
804 Posts
The Tamburini is the most loved F4 of all time, even over the CC. The fact that the CC can outperform the Tambo is not the point. The Tambo is more well known among non MV people as the ultimate F4 and the most lusted after by MV people. The CC is also a gorgeous piece but I don't think as well kown as the Tambo.

· Registered
17,193 Posts
I beg to differ on randys post and opinion. The tambo is a sexy machine arsthetically the red and black and gold wheels set it off i hope to have one soon as i have my eye on one.

BUT the tambo in my eyes is not the big daddy of mvs and not the be all and end all. The CC kicks its ass in performance and is more pf a collectible with only 100 made excuse me only 99 with castiglioni having the first one. Then you have the veltro and veltro pista which i believe you can count on two hands maybe.

The CC is the king as i have pulled up numerous times to fill up petrol and guys would get down on there knees and bow down too me like they were praying to mecca. But thats just my opinion

Wissam.....I've already conceded that other MVs are technically superior to the Tamburini, and the CC certainly fits that description.....but remember this....the Ferrari Daytona is way more car than the Ferrari 275GTB.....but the 275 will bring 2-3 times more than the Daytona in the collector market.

Also, very nice, unmolested CCs have changed hands on the used bike market for as little as 40% of the initial price. No virgin Tamburini ever sold that cheap to my knowledge. Current values on CCs are flat, whereas Tamburini prices are continuing to climb. You'd think otherwise with the lower volume of CCs on the market.

I had a CC sit in my basement for nearly a year (caretaking for a friend) and I certainly appreciated all the neat techno goodies.......but it didn't make my heart flutter like a well cared for Tambo.

This discussion is moot......for the next 25-30 years, but I'm betting that the collectors will continue to praise the Tamburini over all MVs including the CC in years to come.

· Banned
186 Posts
Ok I agree with Randy
(Sorry wnehme)
I do have both but the tambo is sooo beautiful
Out in the day lite and at nite.
The CC is beautiful but it looks pretty much like a plain black motorcycle to MOST people.
Yes it's unique but the tambo is a total eye catcher!!
Well at least in my eyes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.