MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the tank off my bike last weekend and didn't like what I saw. Age is taking its toll on the bike and I was wondering what you guys are doing to keep your bikes oxidation free.

The engine cases and the valve cover had a lot of white oxidation. I'm almost at the point where I want to drop the motor over the winter and blast it clean.

What are some of you guys doing to keep oxidation at Bay? I know the west coast guys probably don't have this issue as much as the east coast guys. Reminds me of a car collector that I know who always told me to never buy an east coast car.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
An idea recently shown on a Honda forum is buying a pool liner, wheeling the bike in, installing 2 caravan type dehumidifiers and then sealing with 'bulldog' type clips Supposedly very effective and an 'el cheapo' version of the plastic bubble. Pic illustrates:

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
You just have to control the humidity at your garage with a good equipment. There are a lot of options on the market. If you do that your bike will be safe.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
How are you cleaning your bike? Especially before storage.

Speaking from experience. I have NEVER wash my bike with a bucket of water and car soap and hose. This is on a Tambo with just touch 10,000km after 12 years of ownership. so I don't ride her often about 1000km per year.

I've always use a waterless wash to clean the bike after a ride. I use Optimum Opti-clean all the time and have ZERO oxidation on any alloy parts. I buy Opti-clean in gallons which makes 4 gallons of waterless wash.

As no water makes contact with the bike, there is no chance of oxidation. Plus the Opti-clean leaves protective coating on any surface it touches.

Using a waterless wash should reduce or slow down the alloy oxidising.

·
Registered
182 Posts
How are you cleaning your bike? Especially before storage.

Speaking from experience. I have NEVER wash my bike with a bucket of water and car soap and hose. This is on a Tambo with just touch 10,000km after 12 years of ownership. so I don't ride her often about 1000km per year.

I've always use a waterless wash to clean the bike after a ride. I use Optimum Opti-clean all the time and have ZERO oxidation on any alloy parts. I buy Opti-clean in gallons which makes 4 gallons of waterless wash.

As no water makes contact with the bike, there is no chance of oxidation. Plus the Opti-clean leaves protective coating on any surface it touches.

Using a waterless wash should reduce or slow down the alloy oxidising.

Don’t get me wrong. But I had one house near the sea and the humidity/water comes from the weather not the treatment you give to the bike. You need a special equipment in your garage to create a normal environment without humidity. That is the only real option. It is expensive but works.

·
Super Moderator
23,092 Posts
I live within two miles of the ocean and a quick spray with a metal preservative works wonders. It does not have to be expensive.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I live within two miles of the ocean and a quick spray with a metal preservative works wonders. It does not have to be expensive.
Ok. With bikes it could work. But, like you should know, the humidity problem destroys cars and bikes since ever. You can read it in all the car and bike forums. You must be very careful with the bike if you live near a beach or somewhere with a lot of humidity. I work in a car factory and have access to tests. All the cars that go to that kind of places have corrosion problems. But your solution is cheaper than mine. And a bike is smaller than a car. So it might work.....

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Take the time to look at the Bennets link I supplied above. It is a pretty exhaustive test of a range of anti corrosion products. Some of which are well advertised do not perform very well. Agreed waterless wash won't solve the OPs issues. In some cases a good wet wash will do more to prevent atmospheric related corrosion by removing the salt spray, road grime and associated crud than a waterless wash. The key is making sure you remove standing water from problem area afterwards.

For me a waterless is wash is only used for a interim between decent washes. Fortunately corrosion is not an issue where I live so I can get away with 1-2 full wet details annually.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for these suggestions.

Glenno,

I'll have a look at that link as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts