MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a very subjective thing, but if one were to own an F4 that was originally owned by Peter Fonda (who just passed away), would the worth of said F4 go up? Stay the same? It’s definitely a collector-type question, which is why I’m asking in this forum. I’m pretty sure some of you are collectors.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,852 Posts
Well.... first of all do you have documentation proving Peter Fonda owned and signed it?

Said provenance would add to the value for someone who collects. Probably not much to anyone who does not.

You will have to find a wealthy Peter Fonda fan.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I know for a fact that Peter Fonda owned an F4 at one time, as I read an article about it back in the day. And it was a red/silver one per a pic from the article. I would say the bike is legit.

·
Registered
866 Posts
1st question who is Peter Fonda? and

2nd question why would I care if he owned an MV?

After a Google search I can find out who he is and my feeling is it doesn't mean anything to the value of an MV. So little I would be trying to buff out that crappy writing on the paint job.

I agree it would have to be a Peter Fonda fan rather than an MV collector.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah, that’s kind of what I thought . . . just thought I’d throw it out for opinions. I know for a fact it was his . . . I was with my friend when he purchased it off of Bonhams. Anyways, you wouldn’t pay $5k for an 05 F4 with 6k miles on it? All carbon fiber lowers and wheel hugger. Full arrow titanium exhaust? Tough crowd, sheesh! Here’s the Bonhams site. My vin and engine number match:

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19679/lot/293/?category=list

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
How many miles are on her?

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Are you looking to buy it? Are you going to sell it? If so, what is the price? I ask because I really don't know what it is worth but there are 2 on cycle trader for $8500

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you looking to buy it? Are you going to sell it? If so, what is the price? I ask because I really don't know what it is worth but there are 2 on cycle trader for $8500
I own it and was just curious what opinions were on it’s worth. That’s all. $8500 might be a bit steep for a normal 2005 F4 . . . but I suppose it might be a proper price if it was owned by a celebrity 😉.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
For me it would not be worth anything more. Would not know why, unless you are a fan of Fonda...

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Possibly regional interest. A Mecum auction in Vegas might have more interest than, say in the classifieds here in NYC. Now if it were Jane Fonda on the tail I'd be interested. 😂

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
I own it and was just curious what opinions were on it’s worth. That’s all. $8500 might be a bit steep for a normal 2005 F4 . . . but I suppose it might be a proper price if it was owned by a celebrity 😉.

I own a set of Carbon panels and the tail section was signed by Tamburini and it doesn't have any more value than any other carbon tail, so unless you can find someone who is a huge Fonda fan who also wants a MV then it probably doesn't have any value other than normal. I would keep it and make sure the signature is preserved and enjoy it since you are obviously a fan.

·
Registered
70 Posts
you didnt say anything about the condition at first or provide the link. just that there was graffitti scribbled on the body. looking at the auction page (it looks stock) i -might- pay a tad more than 5. but nowhere even half what they were asking

·
Registered
91 Posts
To me, it's like after-market parts...you never get the value back, but good stuff helps you get the high-end of the valuation range.

Why don't you find a second tail to run, and make the one with the signature office art?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me, it's like after-market parts...you never get the value back, but good stuff helps you get the high-end of the valuation range.

Why don't you find a second tail to run, and make the one with the signature office art?
Fantastic idea!
I actually just bought the bike to ride it, not really caring that much about the Fonda connection. Upon his passing I just thought, “Hmmm, I wonder if there’s any benefit here?”.

Not a Peter Fonda fan after some of his comments, but still a celebrity owned bike.

As for their asking price . . . That was probably 5 years ago . . . still it is VERY high, no argument there. I paid nowhere near that price.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Personally, I think the F4-1000S is under valued. From my perspective, it is the most desirable of the first gen 1000s. Sure the R, 312, and 1078 were more performance oriented, but the launch of the 1000S cannot be lived down. I think for the time being, the final iterations of the first gen may fetch a little more $$$$$, but long term I think the "S" is where it's at.

With that said, if my S were to hit the market my asking price would be around the $11,000 mark. In 15 years from now, maybe closer to $20,000. Same for the original F4 (750cc).

They really are rare bikes.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Very interesting thread.

My immediate thought is that if the bike were signed by Ago, people would be all over it with over market price offers. Despite 'Easy Rider', I don't see Peter Fonda being synonymous with motorcycles, so his signature would offer no value adding to me.

In the same vein, I have a Honda NS400R with the tail signed by Freddie Spencer (with proof). Whilst it offers bragging rights, I don't think at sale time that the bike's value will be very much enhanced, BUT it might make it more saleable.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very interesting thread.

My immediate thought is that if the bike were signed by Ago, people would be all over it with over market price offers. Despite 'Easy Rider', I don't see Peter Fonda being synonymous with motorcycles, so his signature would offer no value adding to me.

In the same vein, I have a Honda NS400R with the tail signed by Freddie Spencer (with proof). Whilst it offers bragging rights, I don't think at sale time that the bike's value will be very much enhanced, BUT it might make it more saleable.
Super cool! Always loved the 400. I heard how awesome they handled (at the time), but never had the pleasure of riding one. You don’t really se them in the States.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts