MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gang,

I went for a spin last nite on my mate's GSXR 1000 K5, while he hopped on the MV, so we could compare the bikes.

Chassis wise, I found the Suzuki very weird, all wobbly and "soft", moving around a fair bit at (high) speed cornering, while the MV chassis is perfect ! The brakes were better than the MV's (for me) but what surprised me is the engine:

The top end is similar between the 2 bikes, but hell the MV lacks torque in the bottom and midrange compared to the gixxer, I was really surprised ...
To be honest the MV is like a 2 stroke compared to the Suzuki, power rush from 8 grand upwards, but peaky and 750 type bottom end.

Has Suzuki really managed to build such an extraordinary engine, or has my F4 got a problem ? has anyone tried a K5 or K6 gixxer to compare with his/her F4 1000 S ?

thanks all !

Erick

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi Erick,

No it should not be that much different. I have a friend with a K5 and have ridden it many times. If anything my 1000S feels meatier. However I do have a Powercomander, RG3's and a Corse chip, so that may have something to do with it.
I also hear of guys changing to 2 teeth higher on back sprocket as they are geared high. I have never tried that though.
Anyway the closest engine I have found to my S is a Honda but the MV has a stronger top end. The R1 is a revvier beast.
Yes the Gixxer is the strongest Jap engine, but it should not be that pronounced.
Cheers

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmmm odd... what's wrong with me bike then...grrrrr.... (Obviously, said mate's claiming the MV's dog slow compared to his bike now...)

My F4 is completely stock, except for the cat-bypass (arrow) and a chip for RG3 pipes (which I don't have but trying to find some)
FYI, the bike feels stronger with that chip fitted than with the OEM chip...

Thanks for the input MVA !

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
having ridden the gsxr k5-6 1000 i would say imo that this is the bench mark against which all bikes are measured and mostly fail!!!! even people who have the new k7 model say the motor is not as good as the previous bike, this is probably down to meeting emission laws etc i seriously considered having a k6-7 and still am a big suzuki fan , but everybodies got em!!!! + they dont evoke the emotions that mvs do are certainly nowhere near as good looking, are poorly finished and lose value very quickly has i found out on two occasions . the mv engine while very good is not has good as the suzis but then again no ones is!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
F41000R vs GSXR1000K5

I'm lucky enough to own both of these bikes and I can tell you the F4 is better in the suspension, brakes and overall handleling department but the GSXR engine is more powerfull in every way.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
My 954 Blade felt stronger in the midrange over the MV.
But the topend rush is something else on the R.

It must be the gearing.

2 teeth on the rear and the acceleration will blow your mind!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Tripleinside said:
hmmmm odd... what's wrong with me bike then...grrrrr.... (Obviously, said mate's claiming the MV's dog slow compared to his bike now...)

My F4 is completely stock, except for the cat-bypass (arrow) and a chip for RG3 pipes (which I don't have but trying to find some)
FYI, the bike feels stronger with that chip fitted than with the OEM chip...

Thanks for the input MVA !
You have to be really mindful when swapping parts as this almost always has some effect on the state of tune. I did a similar mod on my F4 recently (last week actually) to see if it would help with the exhaust temp situation a bit and the bike feels like it lost at least 10-15Hp on the low to mid level as a result.
In stock form and as recent as just before the swap was made the bike felt killer strong with a powerband from hell :f4: and throttle all day :mouthwate , but now the same bike seems to drag off the line :conveyer: and needs to be poked and proded :stickpoke to move forward now.
I never had to give it more than just marginal throttle to get her going nice and strong from any gear. I also noticed that I have to roll the throttle further now with less response, to feel the same effect.
This is another way you can tell you've lost some power, but if you've been riding it with the mod's in place for a while you may not notice it any longer.
All this from a single midpipe swap out mind you.
I'd suggest either get a Power Commander and a good tech to make you a nice custom map, or for the mean time you could experiment a little and put the stock parts back in and see how she runs. I bet you'll be suprised! :wave:
The good news is the exhaust seems to be running a bit cooler now. :moped: :blush:
MV1

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Get your bike sorted there shouldn't be that noticeable difference.

I've ridden a couple of K5's and at the time it was the best engine I felt I had experienced but then thats how I felt when I rode my MV. My bike feels to me like it pulls much like a twin from 3500 but just revs further and I'm running standard gearing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
definitely noticed a drop in torque after I installed the midpipe, regained some of it by using the RG3 chip; the OEM chip really didn't work with the arrow midpipe, the throttle response was unprecise and sluggish with it.

I think I need the RG3's to get the benefits of the chip and arrow midpipe, what you reckon ?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Rg3's for sure as that's what it's mapped for but that said if you want optimum performance a PCIII with a custom map from a good dyno tech as well is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Yeah the mapping is probably going to be more important than anything else. You can do the RG3's or not but you'll need the right mapping to make it optimum either way.
MV1

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It looks like I'm going to need one myself. Who's the best source for the Commander/ MV maps? anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Eric, they seem to be finnicky to get set up right.

I resisted for over a year to put a PC on. My dealer when I took it back for a 6k service rang me and said this. "I will buy the PC for you, and fit it and map it at no cost. If you like it pay me the cost of the PC only, if you don't we will take it off".
This was because I was happy with 6k plus but ioff idle and to 5k it could be better.
I tell you the transformation was astounding. I did a wheelie the first time I left the dealer and at the first roundabout.

So I would say it needs setting up, get someone as passionate as my dealer and away you go. Will it be stronger than a GSXK5, I don't know but at least you will have peace of mind that it is as it should.
By the way when set up there is no need for any more power, period!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Tripleinside said:
Hello gang,

I went for a spin last nite on my mate's GSXR 1000 K5, while he hopped on the MV, so we could compare the bikes.

Chassis wise, I found the Suzuki very weird, all wobbly and "soft", moving around a fair bit at (high) speed cornering, while the MV chassis is perfect ! The brakes were better than the MV's (for me) but what surprised me is the engine:

The top end is similar between the 2 bikes, but hell the MV lacks torque in the bottom and midrange compared to the gixxer, I was really surprised ...
To be honest the MV is like a 2 stroke compared to the Suzuki, power rush from 8 grand upwards, but peaky and 750 type bottom end.

Has Suzuki really managed to build such an extraordinary engine, or has my F4 got a problem ? has anyone tried a K5 or K6 gixxer to compare with his/her F4 1000 S ?

thanks all !

Erick
MV every time for me - just way way way more EXCITING!!! :yo:
Have ridden a K6 a fair bit and find the Suzuki seems to hit top speed with a breeze, wheras on the MV the world has gone mad!!!!
What would you prefer?...looking at the numbers rising while the world stands still or hang on for life and don't dare look at the speedo.???...What a trip!!!!Don't need anything else!

Tont

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, first I'll get some RG3's (if I can ever find a set at a decent price) then see...
The PC will come next if I need it.

BTW, regardless of power delivery, I waaaaaaaaaay prefer my MV to his wobbly gixxer... ;)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I wouldn't go through the effort of getting a custom map without the simplest change to the exhaust system. That doesn't make sense to me on any bike, Italian, Japanese, or Euro! In my experience, changing the exhaust is the single most valuable and recognizeable performance upgrade to any bike. I'd look for the RG3s and install them before doing anything else, especially since you have the Eprom and midpipe installed that were specifically designed to use the RG3 exhaust.

I have to say, I own an 05 F4-S with RG3, Eprom and midpipe and don't see how anyone could say there's something wrong or disappointing about that motor. Is your last name Rossi, or is this an ego thing?

I suggest you tell your friend you'll simply crush his bike with your wallet! Sorry, I'm getting a little elitist here. Change that to you'll crush his bike with the hundreds of people looking at yours in awe with lust that aren't looking at GSXRs.

Oh, and my RG3s are for sale if you want them. As everyone knows, my bike is leaving me! :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
blavenia said:
I have to say, I own an 05 F4-S with RG3, Eprom and midpipe and don't see how anyone could say there's something wrong or disappointing about that motor. Is your last name Rossi, or is this an ego thing?
Have you stopped to consider that perhaps there is a problem with his motor/setup? There are various problems that could be present or occur within the motor or fueling/exhuast system that could cause a substantial drop/lack of power. Or maybe, the Suzuki motor in question is simply just stronger?

blavenia said:
I suggest you tell your friend you'll simply crush his bike with your wallet! Sorry, I'm getting a little elitist here. Change that to you'll crush his bike with the hundreds of people looking at yours in awe with lust that aren't looking at GSXRs.
Did you buy a bike or a fashion statement?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
blavenia said:
whooo !! Hold your horses mate !!! I'm passed the willy size competition and and don't give a toss about someone's bike being quicker than mine.
it's not a question of being Valentino Rossi or any bullsh*t like that (even if monthly trackdays on my RS250 means I'm probably more skillful than a bloke doing stunts in shorts...)

The question was:
"I am surprised at the power output of a suzuki GSXR 1000 K6 compared to MY bike, is it normal or not ? what are your experiences?"

I don't see where I said I wasn't happy with my MV, or that I was Valentino Rossi

Again, thanks to Hartley for his kindness to share his knowledge, I am learning a lot... :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts