MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of a full frame off rebuild of my 2005 F4 and am at the point of reinstalling the chain/sprockets/hub. I did not save my old chain as it had over 20k miles on it and who wants to put a crusty old chain on a brand new rebuild. I know it is a 525 pitch but I don't know how many links I need.
Also I've found a rear 520 sprocket but can't find somebody that has a front listed. Is it worth it to do the conversion or just keep it 525?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Like all good posts this thread is useless without pictures.

(disclaimer before I piss off the MV purists for heavily modifying one of these) this bike suffered a mild lowside about three years ago and has been patiently waiting in the corner of the garage for me to do something with her. she was definitely not a cherry example.

·
Registered
2005 F4 1000s Mamba, Kawasaki KZ1300, Yamaha Banshee
122 Posts
Nice work. Congrats. Stock chain i think its 525 x 108 links. You can buy lenght of 118/120 links and adjust to your sprocket setup if changed. Keep posting pics. Good luck

·
Registered
651 Posts
520 is lighter and slightly less robust. 525 is heavier and thicker. As with most things that are heavier, 525 is rated for more torque.

I'd tend to stick with a beefier chain for liter 1000cc and over. But I'm sure you'll get all kinds of feedback from people.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: mitchy

·
Registered
6,120 Posts
I have run 520 chains on all my bikes which have been 1000CC or higher. Never a problem and the weight savings is worth it. There are plenty of front sprockets available. Also check out 3D chains. Very good quality

·
Administrator
21,088 Posts
520 for race bikes.... or if you are searching for grams of weight reduction.... 525 for a long life on a street bike.

Up to you.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Try these guys:

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I'm used to ordering parts for my aprilias where everything I could possibly want is listed on AF1. Now that design corse is gone finding parts for this bike has been a little more challenging. nobody seems to have a well organized website

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
520 for race bikes.... or if you are searching for grams of weight reduction.... 525 for a long life on a street bike.

Up to you.
I'm currently running a 520 chain on both of my other bikes and have never had any issues with them. that being said this bike will probably never see track time so its probably pointless doing the swap

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anybody else been having parts suppliers just completely ignore you lately? I ordered some underbody frame sliders from r&g racing in mid july and so far 0 communication, no info on when my parts will ship or even if they'll be able to ship them. I understand supply chains are screwed up because of covid but they aren't even answering emails. I also ordered some parts from GP racing and got an auto email saying order received and then nothing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Nice job on the re-build. I like that you painted the frame red, I think it pops more than the stock color. Is the rear subframe aluminum or steel?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Has anybody else been having parts suppliers just completely ignore you lately? I ordered some underbody frame sliders from r&g racing in mid july and so far 0 communication, no info on when my parts will ship or even if they'll be able to ship them. I understand supply chains are screwed up because of covid but they aren't even answering emails. I also ordered some parts from GP racing and got an auto email saying order received and then nothing.
This whole year has been terrible for ordering parts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,088 Posts
This whole year has been terrible for ordering parts.
Same for the Japanese manufacturers. My friends at Yamaha and Suzuki tell me it has been really rough.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice job on the re-build. I like that you painted the frame red, I think it pops more than the stock color. Is the rear subframe aluminum or steel?
I believe its aluminum, its the stock subframe I just had it powdercoated black.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

made some progress, new 525 chain and sprockets on. waiting on the new axle nuts and the swingarm will be 100%.
also made my own exhaust mounts to pull the bodis cans in tighter to the tail. I was never really happy with how much of a gap there was between them.

Reactions: Surfer Dave

·
Super Moderator
23,110 Posts
......also made my own exhaust mounts to pull the bodis cans in tighter to the tail. I was never really happy with how much of a gap there was between them.
Stand by for tail section melting....🧯🧯🧯

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stand by for tail section melting....🧯🧯🧯
hopefully not, I'm running a carbon undertail section which is going to get heat wrapped and I also jet hot coated the headers so hopefully that will alleviate some of the heat. I probably pulled them maybe 10mm closer to the tail, I was mainly just trying to get them to sit symmetrically. the right side always looked slightly off to me with the stock exhaust mounts.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts