MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went into the newly opened Ducati City today, as my mate wanted to test ride the new 848.
I parked the MV right out the front....and of course, MV's outside official Ducati dealers cause a stir..

I just so happen to know the new service manager there, and a few of the mechanics as well, and they wanted to put the F4 on their dyno....I said, sure why not...go for it.
Caused quiet a crowd, as the MV got strapped down...

The big boss came out when he heard the Radial scream instead of the normal Desmo boom, and looked rather bemused to see a Red and Carbon MV in his dyno chamber.

I estimated high 130's , low 140's at the back wheel, taking in the 10-15% loss would put it just over 160 at the crank....about right I guess.
The Ducati boys thought that was a little optimistic, as they ran a 1098s with full Termis and pulled 149 at the rear wheel only a few hours before.

Anyway....my 4 year "old" F4 pulled 148HP at the rear wheel, with a perfect power curve and a perfectly flat air/fuel mixture curve...
Almost the same as a brand new 1098s with pipes:)

It was difficult to explain to the Ducati guys, that my bike is just a stock 4 year old 1000 with RG3's, and there's 2 more F4 models that come after it....

Vid to follow...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Nice won Pete,it might be four years old but still on the ball against the ducati 1098s which is new.And that sound would have been awsome ,nothing like that sound that gives you and ear ache from ducati. Cheers

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was smiling as I read that Pete, you must have been soaking it all up!
1 up for MV!
I was very quiet, and humble.....No need to be a smartly bum in Ducati heartland....
In fact Ducati City which has just opened in Melbourne is a wonderful place and seems so professional...I hope they suceed.

They were thankful i let them dyno my bike, as they were genuinely curious to compare it to the twins.....at the start, I think they thought it was the latest F4...with all the custom carbon etc.....

The Duke boys were mighty impressed actually, and a real nice bunch of guys...clearly all closet MV lovers, until the big boss walked in....he wanted the F4 to fail badly, you could sense it:)

You can hear the boss on the video at the start...asking questions.
Link to the vid below

http://www.velocemoto.net/video/Dyno.wmv

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice won Pete,it might be four years old but still on the ball against the ducati 1098s which is new.And that sound would have been awsome ,nothing like that sound that gives you and ear ache from ducati. Cheers
not wrong..it sounded wicked
The Ducati sale girl was going ga ga at the sound...again, I dont think the big boss was too happy with her ............LOL
You can just hear her on the vid as the bike is released from screaming to the top...

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I remeber the day i got my bike dynoed after installing pipes and power commander.Took it to red wing Honda in Heidelberg ,you should have seen the smile on my face when the mv was screaming and the service guys were lining up to see what that sound was coming from.And mine is just a 750sr,would like to hear 1000 on full throlle screaming its tits off LIVE.Cheers

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice one :f4:
You just have the RG3? No deccated midpipe or PC3?
No PC3...Ago midpipe.
No idea what the difference is between a normal midpipe and the one in mine...probably none ??
I just know the midpipe and RG3's were a set that came with an AGO, yet ended up on my bike.

JSM would be able to shed more light....

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
No PC3...Ago midpipe.
No idea what the difference is between a normal midpipe and the one in mine...probably none ??
I just know the midpipe and RG3's were a set that came with an AGO, yet ended up on my bike.

JSM would be able to shed more light....

Pete, 'Ago's' came with two midpipes, both looked identical except one had a cat and one didn't.............good post by the way, and pretty much in the 'ball park' on the bhp side as well:)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete, 'Ago's' came with two midpipes, both looked identical except one had a cat and one didn't.............good post by the way, and pretty much in the 'ball park' on the bhp side as well:)

Yeah..I was pleasently surprised..
I was more happy with the fuel/air and the wickedly smooth power curve....it made it all worth while getting my fuelling done a couple of times till i was absolutely happy with it.

the midpipe...that explains it, thanks for that...it would be the one without the cat.
Julian did expalin it to me when I picked up the bike...

I remember vaguely that Julian's RG3's weren't ready by the time he was promised the bike, so they raided an unsold AGO and fitted the RG3's, midpipe and chip from an AGO....
Nice gain there for me I guess:)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I was at Ducati city this morning test riding a 1098s.
Nice to ride and all,but but i felt like i was sliding to the tank alot. And i had to follow the sale rep on his 125cc honda:f4:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was at Ducati city this morning test riding a 1098s.
Nice to ride and all,but but i felt like i was sliding to the tank alot. And i had to follow the sale rep on his 125cc honda:f4:
I rode a 1098s at the track Dino.....
Checkout The 04 01 08 Phillip Island thread in "At the track" section.
Was able to ride the MV and Duke back to back...and give my ameture impressions:)

1098s is awsome, but your F4-1000 is still a wonderful machine !!!!!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi, thanks I thought there was something wrong with me. My "old" S is well sorted but the time has come to look at updating. I thought about the new 1098 but just didn't feel like I wanted to go from my MV. I then read had great the 848 is so I whent t try that. It was nice but it just didn't have "it" (enough top end that is).

So I am keeping the MV.

Thanks for the writeup, I had mine at the track and tested the Dukes there, so I should do a writeup also?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, thanks I thought there was something wrong with me. My "old" S is well sorted but the time has come to look at updating. I thought about the new 1098 but just didn't feel like I wanted to go from my MV. I then read had great the 848 is so I whent t try that. It was nice but it just didn't have "it" (enough top end that is).

So I am keeping the MV.

Thanks for the writeup, I had mine at the track and tested the Dukes there, so I should do a writeup also?

Cheers

I think you should...as it's a dilima many seem to face....F4 or 1098
I know i'm staying on the MV, but it would be nice to hear from a "quick" guy as well as the average track hacker like me:)

I'd be keen to know if your conclusions are similar to mine.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nice. High 140s is exactly where your bike should be.

Seems like those with Ducs are always checking out the MV's, and vice versa :yo:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts