MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By way of introduction I have only owned Ducatis(all monsters) and they were for the most part problem free although the valve checks costs stung a bit!
I am now considering buying a '04 Brutale which I think is a more beautiful bike.
The trouble is I know very little about the quirks of this particular model and what issues, if any it might be known for.
My search on this forum and others have turned up some problems
with it stalling out, fuel consumption and overheating but I don't know if they are related more to the 900cc versions(the one I want is a 750cc)
Is routine service as expensive as a Ducati?
How is parts availability?
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
By way of introduction I have only owned Ducatis(all monsters) and they were for the most part problem free although the valve checks costs stung a bit!
I am now considering buying a '04 Brutale which I think is a more beautiful bike.
The trouble is I know very little about the quirks of this particular model and what issues, if any it might be known for.
My search on this forum and others have turned up some problems
with it stalling out not when tuned properly, fuel consumption thirsty bikes, 750 more so then 910 and overheating Not Brutales...that's F4s but I don't know if they are related more to the 900cc versions(the one I want is a 750cc)
Is routine service as expensive as a Ducati? No, more like a Jap bike
How is parts availability? Good since H-D cleaned things up.
Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!
Buy it...you'll like it !!! :brutale:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So are you saying it isn't properly tuned as it comes from the factory?
And Harley just sold the company so what happens to their part/distribution network now?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You are posting on their parts distribution network. Despite Harley's brief ownership, they never distributed MV Agusta parts.

The 750 Brutale is not known to suffer from stalling issues or overheating. I have heard that fuel consumption was greater than on the later bikes with larger engines. I never compared my 750 Brutale (my first MV by the way) with the 910R.

An enigma.

But fuel mileage should not even be consideration if you are buying a Brutale.

Do a search for "My Brutale sucks, I'm selling it."

You won't find anything. They are great bikes.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
No. And they are ugly.

Truthfully, it is personal opinion. Plenty of guys love the Termignoni cans. Removing the catalytic converter will make the biggest difference in sound and perhaps performance. I like the Arrow thunder, other guys prefer the standard exhaust. The best system would be the complete titanium system from MV Corse, (Randarosa has it on his bike) or the off road exhaust that came with the 910R. They will bolt right up to the 750.

The first mod most Brutale owners make is replacing the catalytic converter with a midpipe. Do that first if it hasn't been done.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The brutale is mostly a trouble free bike. I have a 750 with more than 21000kms on it and it's very reliable. Have a Arrow thunder exhaust and its nuts. As Ed said the stalling issues are generally tuning issues. Yes the fuel consupmtion is high. If you are still considering the purchase, then you should check out the 910R, there are quite a few good deals available with very low milage and it has a lot more in it than the 750. . Any brutale you buy I am sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For what its worth, I just bought an 08 910r and paid 8500 (USD). I looked into a couple other bikes and they were priced around 9000 (both were from 2006). After some reading and Q & A's with the Forum members (extremely helpful)...I learned the 08 (2007 US model) had alot of the former problems corrected (stalling & overheating). Either way, they are right...you will love the bike. A buddy of mine just bought himself a Ducati S4r and its a great looking bike....i bought mine 2 weeks later and he already regrets not buying an MV

·
Administrator
20,391 Posts
No belts....valve inspect and adjust will be similar to any current Jap sport bike.
I do my own work, so I am not sure what the dealers charge.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had my 7500 service done earlier this year on an '05 Brutale S and all valves were still on specs and did not need any adjustment so it saved me a couple hundred bucks. To be perfectly honest, I bought mine for the looks (yes I know, I am shallow) and I was bracing for a world of pain on maintenance and this thing is a Swiss clock. After two years and about 7K miles, I am still impressed how reliable and solidly built these bikes are. I had the well documented CPU issue and having to change the rear tire more often than the front but that's it ;)
I started logging my fuel consumption 6 months and I average anywhere from 20 to 30 miles per gallon (depending on how I ride) but I am completely OK with that she's so pretty and fun to ride that this minor flaw is easily forgotten.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
fuel mileage for me is 21 on the low end and 32 the highest i got per a tank, that tank was just straight riding at 50-70 mph.

But having said that, after you hear the intake growl and the rush from 6-10000 rpm you won't give a shit what the gas mileage is.

Looks amazing, sounds great in stock form, but i've been debating on getting the Ti system just cause it looks great. I replaced the SPU/CDI shortly after purchasing, (I believe this was the only issue with these years) and it has been problem free since then.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had did some research on the valve check/adjust on here a week or two ago and it looked like the 7500 mile service costs were between 700 and 1100 depending on the dealership...however i dont recall seeing anybody needing any adjustments.

I would suggest you call the dealer nearest you that will service that bike...they will usually quote you a fair estimate.

What's a typical valve check/belt change cost for the Brutale?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not at all mechanically inclined but is it fair to say that valves are less likely to go out of spec if you avoid riding it hard and redlining it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm not at all mechanically inclined but is it fair to say that valves are less likely to go out of spec if you avoid riding it hard and redlining it?
Well, if you ride it really hard and redline it on open roads you will very likely spend more on court fees and subsequent insurance premium increases than valve adjustments ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi Guys,

@CAG, I have also searched for the Exhaust solution, want to change it a little, but I haven't found any Termignoni video only Arrow's on you tube.

But now I have read about the mid pipe change instead of the Cat, can you tell me where to buy the mid pipes that would go 2 on end - 2 on the collectors?

I would appreciate any help or tips, about where to buy them. I'm from Europe, so if it would be somewhere here, that would be great, because I don't have to pay customs then.

But else, I'm fully satisfied with my 750S, just ordered the SPU, to change it for a new one, and then rock'n'roll. :yo:

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Ziga

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Hi Guys,

@CAG, I have also searched for the Exhaust solution, want to change it a little, but I haven't found any Termignoni video only Arrow's on you tube.

But now I have read about the mid pipe change instead of the Cat, can you tell me where to buy the mid pipes that would go 2 on end - 2 on the collectors?

I would appreciate any help or tips, about where to buy them. I'm from Europe, so if it would be somewhere here, that would be great, because I don't have to pay customs then.

But else, I'm fully satisfied with my 750S, just ordered the SPU, to change it for a new one, and then rock'n'roll. :yo:

Thanks for your help in advance.

Best regards,

Ziga
Here you go mate - http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagustastore/index.php/exhausts/brutalebefore2010/arrow.html

and http://www.designcorse.com/shop/mv-agusta-parts/mv-agusta-brutale-parts/mv-agusta-brutale-750-910-989-1078rr/brutale-exhaust-systems

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thx Donsy,

so, Arrow mid pipe fitts with the stock exhaust?

Do I have to remape the ECU or something after the Cat and mid pipe exchange? Or make some tuning changes?

Thanks for your help mate. :)

Best regards,

Ziga

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Sure does mate, no problem. You just need to check if your headers are welded to the CAT, because then you might need separate headers also, lots of them on eBay.
Show us a picture of your headers and CAT.
Where are you in EU ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts