MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I believe that depending on the year the side stand may always kill the engine in some cases, or may only kill the engine of it is in gear. (I think I’ve read this here a few weeks ago, but may ne mistaken).

I have a 2004 brutale 750s and I cannot start or run the engine on the side stand, even in neutral.
In addition to that, the neutral light does not work on the dash...

Could it be that the neutral sensor is broken given both symptoms?
I assume if it is the case, this is a relatively easy swap for a new sensor?

thanks in advance
Antoine.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Antoine;
You can download the manual for your bike, links are at the top of most sections
The manuals have excellent electrical trouble shooting guides
This is the F4 Section, look in the B4 Section ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Antoine;
You can download the manual for your bike, links are at the top of most sections
The manuals have excellent electrical trouble shooting guides
This is the F4 Section, look in the B4 Section ?
i shall have a look. Apologies for posting in the wrong section

·
Administrator
19,139 Posts
I have a 2004 brutale 750s and I cannot start or run the engine on the side stand, even in neutral.
In addition to that, the neutral light does not work on the dash...
Your Neutral Switch (gear position sensor) is either unplugged or malfunctioning.

Yes, the engine will not run with side stand down and bike in gear. Your ECU thinks the bike is always in gear and so will not run with the stand down.

As Noel said, find your manual and check the neutral switch. Look at the wiring from it to the harness. May just be a loose connector or damaged wire.

And if you just want to ride, by-pass the side stand switch....

·
Super Moderator
21,780 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I'm not familiar with Brutales but are you pulling the clutch lever in?

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Probably the neutral switch bullet connector
Disconnect the bullet connector, turn the key on and touch the harness wire to the engine ....dash light should come on
Turn the key off, with the bike in neutral, check the switch wire for continuity to ground with an Ohm meter
If you have continuity, it's the connector......clean the connector

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Disconnect the bullet connector, turn the key on and touch the harness wire to the engine ....dash light should come on
thank you so much for the advice!!
Not sure I got that part right, could you please clarify??

thanks again !

·
Administrator
19,139 Posts
The neutral light switch is a normally open switch. When the bike is in neutral the switch closes, grounding the wire lead and turning on the light (as well as grounding all the other bits in the safety circuit).

By touching the connector from the harness going to the switch to the engine cases you simulate the switch function. The light should come on and the bike will think it is in neutral. Engine will run with side stand down.

Using an ohmmeter, you can test the switch....infinite resistance when in gear, zero when in neutral...one test lead to engine case, the other to the switch connector.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks that's super helpful !
I had a look at the connector earlier, and it seemed clean and well closed.
I will try properly with an ohmmeter next time ...

Out of curiosity, do you know how the sensor knows the bike is in neutral and not in gear? What's the read?

·
Administrator
19,139 Posts
It works off a mechanical plunger, a button on the shift cam depresses the switch making the ground connection when the shift drum is in the neutral position.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Put a neutral switch in my 2006 F4 back in October '19. It's a relatively easy job, plus it's a good time to check things out while you've got the tail and mid-pipes out. The neutral switches are out there. You just have to look a bit. It's nice having my neutral light back as well as the ability to let it warm up on the side stand. Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts