MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I know its a safety feature but I always feel a complete idiot with my headlight on in blazing sunshine.

Looking at the L/H switch it appears that there was originally a facility for a switch but its been blanked off.

My question: Did earlier/later bikes or other Brutale models have the headlight on/off switch fitted and does the wiring harness support the addition of a switch or am I looking at improvising something??

Thanks

Fent

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Fent, yes the earlier bikes like my 2001 F4 and my wife Jeni's 2005 750 Brutale did indeed come with a switch to tun on/off the headlights, not sure what year your bike is and what the wiring harness is like but I think it could be figured out. The hard bit will be finding the earlier controls with switches.

jimboF4

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jimbo, mine is a 2004 model Brutale which sits between your 2001 F4 and your wife's 2005 Brutale. I wonder why they missed it off the 04 models?

At least I know what switch unit to look for now.

Fent

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Donsy

I don't disagree with the point you are making, I've been riding/driving for a smidgen over 40 years, predominantly on British roads so I appreciate that congested roads and really appalling driver standards (really is there any point in fitting indicators to cars?) don't bode well for motorcyclists. In truth I rarely ride with my headlights off. I just hate automatic systems on vehicles. Perhaps its an unsavoury personality trait of mine but its akin to being told what to do. I just would like the choice. Therefore the search for a headlight on/off switchable unit continues. I've found a couple on ebay but the price is a little OTT for something that's not a necessity.

Again I genuinely appreciate your concern, I'm just a stubborn old sod.

Fent

·
Registered
203 Posts
Take a look at my post no.15, the thing you are looking is Aprilia part "AP8127703".
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72090&page=2

Actually I find one for my DIY project, but right now it's summer in Croatia so I'll leave that for winter ;)
It could be a easy swap but since Brutale have "famous" SPU I don't want to fry it, so first thing is to double check the pinout on Agusta Vs. Aprilia part.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thread update

Just to update this thread. I eventually managed to find a switch unit which doesn't have the headlight on/off switch blanked off. Not sure the exact model it came off, only that it came from Germany.

Despite some initial concerns that the harness may be different and the new switch would transfer electricity to places it wasn't meant to go. I simply unplugged the old switch and plugged the new one in, switched the ignition on and everything worked just as it should with the exception that I can now decide if I want my headlights on or off.

As Red Baron points out, with number (licence)plates large enough to be tracked by radar, it should offset any safety issues :stickpoke

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Just to update this thread. I eventually managed to find a switch unit which doesn't have the headlight on/off switch blanked off. Not sure the exact model it came off, only that it came from Germany.

Despite some initial concerns that the harness may be different and the new switch would transfer electricity to places it wasn't meant to go. I simply unplugged the old switch and plugged the new one in, switched the ignition on and everything worked just as it should with the exception that I can now decide if I want my headlights on or off.

As Red Baron points out, with number (licence)plates large enough to be tracked by radar, it should offset any safety issues :stickpoke
Whaaat!!!....., I want one ., I have been after one of these for years.
Where did you get it??
Please post me a link!!:)
Brian.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
That is pretty cool. I'm more interested in having the option to turn off the headline to reduce electrical requirement during starts and making the "park" mode less draining since it activates the headlight too.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whaaat!!!....., I want one ., I have been after one of these for years.
Where did you get it??
Please post me a link!!:)
Brian.
PM'd you.

For anyone else interested there is a pattern switch available on Ebay UK. I was going to buy this till the genuine article turned up so I'm not sure about its quality, but this is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380956909383

I don't think its supplied with a connector and you would need to work out the wiring but it does come with a wiring diagram according to the seller.

Cheers

Fent

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
PM'd you.

For anyone else interested there is a pattern switch available on Ebay UK. I was going to buy this till the genuine article turned up so I'm not sure about its quality, but this is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380956909383

I don't think its supplied with a connector and you would need to work out the wiring but it does come with a wiring diagram according to the seller.

Cheers

Fent
Cheers George I've just ordered it!!.:)

Lets hope it is a success as per my return PM to you:idea:
Brian.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts