MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Although I have lots of fun with my F4S Evo3, the fastest I have been able to go is 154 miles per hour. THe specifications say it can go as fast as 175, but even with the throttle open all the way, I can't seem to get it there.
Does anyone know if that is the actual top speed for this bike? How fast should the top speed really be on these model bikes? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
293 Posts
154mph, that's 247,8km/h (tipical top speed of 100hp bikes), are you sure your bike isn't a French version (limited to 100hp). The eprom is where the bike is normaly limited in France.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
machine748s said:
154mph, that's 247,8km/h (tipical top speed of 100hp bikes), are you sure your bike isn't a French version (limited to 100hp). The eprom is where the bike is normaly limited in France.
I bought it through a dealer in the USA. I am pretty sure it is US Specs. I also have a GSX-R750 and I have had it at 184 MPH (indicated), with a lot left in the throttle. I always thought the MV would be as fast, if not faster than the Gixxer.
Maybe it has something to do with the thick air filter and emissions required by US vehicle regulations?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I always thought advertised top speed was a calculated measurement based on redline and gearing and disregarded wind resistance. When you take wind resistance into account, at times you might actually acheive a higher actual top speed with non optimal gearing. For example, because of wind resistance you might not be able to reach redline in sixth gear because of insuficient power. But if you were to add a tooth in the rear, you might actually get a higher physical top speed.

As for indicated speed, bikes vary in accuracy. Some people use GPS.

Me? I'm not much into top speed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
MarcoM3 said:
I bought it through a dealer in the USA. I am pretty sure it is US Specs. I also have a GSX-R750 and I have had it at 184 MPH (indicated), with a lot left in the throttle. I always thought the MV would be as fast, if not faster than the Gixxer.
Maybe it has something to do with the thick air filter and emissions required by US vehicle regulations?
I don't think it has something to do with the emissions required by US regulations, I think Euro specs are as restrictives (if not more). You should have all of the 136hp in the US.
First give a look to your speedometer? have a ride with another mate and ask him your top speed...

·
Registered
9 Posts
perhaps it might be fuel related.. here in Us our highest octane is 93

MV recommend 95-98

also highest top speed would be with th 39 sprocket i believe

just my two cents

·
Registered
87 Posts
All motor fuels soild in the USA have the same amount of energy available. The difference in octane is the inability of the fuel to pre-ignite. The higher the octane the harder it is to ignite the fuel therefore you can set compression high and advance the spark more for for more power without sending your pistons through the crank.........

But there is no more "energy" in 98 octane than there is in 87 octane......

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
My first 2001 MV 750 did more than 280 km/h.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
This thread begs the question, how accurate are the speedos. I saw 166 mph on my Evo III in 5th gear coming on to the rev limiter. I clicked into top and the bloody thing slowed down! :cross:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sorry, There's no way that video is correct... FAKE!!!

His RPMs never go higher than like 12k!! To reach top speed, your rpms need to be near redline!

He's got way shorter gearing but didn't recalibrate his speedo! I hope he doesn't believe he's actually going that fast!

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
john said:
This thread begs the question, how accurate are the speedos. I saw 166 mph on my Evo III in 5th gear coming on to the rev limiter. I clicked into top and the bloody thing slowed down! :cross:
Mine was 12% off stock if I remember correctly. Fitted a yellow box way back when for sprocket conversion so checked by GPS at the time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
SPR171 said:
perhaps it might be fuel related.. here in Us our highest octane is 93

Actually, this isn't true. It depends on your region/state. There are places where you can by 100 octane right from the pump. I've been to some Citgo's in Charlotte, NC that have 100 octane. Usually there is only one pump available at the station that has this grade.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a seen 297Kmph on my clock. I have thr full RG3 system with epprom.
It comes into red line/light at about 292kmph. That is flat out, dont think she will go more than that. Weight and size of rider also makes a diffrence. Food for thought.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
jorge said:
I have a seen 297Kmph on my clock. I have thr full RG3 system with epprom.
It comes into red line/light at about 292kmph. That is flat out, dont think she will go more than that. Weight and size of rider also makes a diffrence. Food for thought.
Hey Jorge, where are you from?

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
JamesC said:
Mine was 12% off stock if I remember correctly. Fitted a yellow box way back when for sprocket conversion so checked by GPS at the time.

So if you are travelling at 30mph according to the speedo, you could actually be doing over 33mph or less than 27mph depending on the optomism or pessimism of the unit? :nerd:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts