MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search function isn’t giving me much of any results here. Does anybody run a 200mm rear tire size on a first gen F4?

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
Not really. Why would you?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a buddy who has a 200mm rear tire off of his BMW S1000rr that is like brand new. Thought about storing it until my current tires wear out. It’s a Pirelli Diablo super corsa sp. Just thought it might be worth trying out, that’s all (he has the set, but the rear is the one that isn’t per spec).

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
750 or 1000 ?? Rim width is a factor.
Is the tire a 200/55 or 200/60? What size is your standard tire?
Either way, it will be taller than the stock size. You may run into clearance problems with width, and even height...especially with a hugger installed.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a buddy who has a 200mm rear tire off of his BMW S1000rr that is like brand new. Thought about storing it until my current tires wear out. It’s a Pirelli Diablo super corsa sp. Just thought it might be worth trying out, that’s all (he has the set, but the rear is the one that isn’t per spec).
If the tyre is costing you nothing, then give it a go when you need to change your original. You can then report back any difference. (y)

·
Registered
980 Posts
Strange you posted that because I was holding back! ;)

I don't deter anyone from trying new things, but I believe manufacturers set sizes, standards, etc, for a reason and after lengthy research and development. I would always replace like for like.
It depends on the application. For just riding around on the road there is no reason too. You may try different tyres if the bike is being tracked. A common practice R6s riders at the track is to fit a 190/55. I have and it rides really nice. It was the done thing until manufacturers started making 180/60s. The 190 on the R6 gives more corner exit grip due to the profile. Trade off is side to side turn is alittle slower and you may make the wheelbase alittle longer in some cases to ensure clearance which makes the bike more stable but change of direction slower again. Anyway many are not making the 190/55 now and 180/60 is in vogue which apparently gives a similar grip profile to the 190 when on its side. I will being experimenting with the next set of rubber.

Back on point if you are just riding around ( and yes even fast riding in the hills is just riding around) there is no need to. You should expect alittle slower change of direction with the wider rear tire. You need to make sure the rim size is suitable for a 200 tyre and also you have clearance from the swingarm, chain, mud guard etc. And you will also need to make sure your chain is long enough or you have enough adjustment if you have clearance issues.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hi! I ran one for a while. It's what the other members have said. The bike basically was slower leaning from side to side. Now am back to stock tire size.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Interesting tid bit, Pirelli supercorse sc's the dot race tire does not come in a 190. My Track tire dealer told me a 200 would work on my 1090. Low and behold the 200 is the same size is a 190. But because people watch wsbk and they see a 200 on the bikes Pirelli got rid of the 190 tire for a "200"

Reactions: 111755

·
Registered
85 Posts
Search function isn’t giving me much of any results here. Does anybody run a 200mm rear tire size on a first gen F4?
Yes They fit , they work better and Yes give better performance, grip, safety and confidence. With over 20,000Km of running Diablo Corsa and now SP's on F4 312r on road and track I will not go back to a 190 - period Why would you ! . A Supposedly slower turning rate is just not a noticeable reality, fitment has not caused any problems or any cany negative issues only improvement and positives. This is where thoery just doesnt man up, the bike is still telepathically flick able as it always has been.
I live in the Coromadels a special place for motorbikes, some of the best demanding twisties NZ has to offer. My bike is used as it was designed for, scratching endless twisties and Track days. Now with 35,000 Km of fun under the wheels on the F4 the 200 section rear is my only choice.
To those who disagree good for you, on paper your objections are real they just are not a reality.

·
Super Moderator
22,356 Posts
Funny, as a long time MV Agusta F4 312R owner, I would not call mine "telepathically flickable"...very precise, sure, it's just too top heavy to be "flickable".:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts