MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone!

This past weekend I had my dragster out and about and without any issues when all of the sudden I had a malfunction message come on the screen. The exact malfunction message was "Stop Eng Lambda Sensor."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccyyuQICC0&feature=youtu.be

I received my bike on October 8th, brand new, with 6 miles on it. So this error for me was a bit frustrating.

The moment I saw the message, I called the nearest MV dealer and they said they would need to take a look at it to know exactly what was the issue.

Have any of you ever heard of, or had the experience of something like this happening?

Appreciate your input.

Matt

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well I think the message speaks for itself.
A problem with the lambda sensor... But what kind of problem.....

I've seen this problem before on the forum if I remember correct.
The sensor is sticking in your exhaust, left hand side near the side stand.
Check if it's fastened correctly, I believe this was the cause when I read about this.

Let us now !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it initially happened I shut the bike off and waited about 10 mins. Then I tried starting it up and all was fine. Then about 15 minutes of riding after that, it came on again. This time it happened when I was engine breaking from 5th to 4th. I then stopped the engine and waited another 10 minutes. Started her up and all seem fine. Was able to make it home. The weird thing was that the last time I turned it off and started up again, there was no message at all. It wasn't until I made the video 12 hours later and that is when the message instantly came on. The bike didn't feel any different. Just the error message was all.

I have noticed when riding in 1st at low RPMs there is a noticeable noise. Like and up and down of the engine revving. Not sure whats up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sounds like your 02sensor readings are out of range. Its screwed into the exhaust pipe just below the charcoal canister box on the left side of your bike as you sitting on it. You can check to see if its come loose or the electrical plug which is behind the charcoal box is unplugged or damaged. Or back to your auth dealer for a diag/adaptation value reset.

·
Banned
676 Posts
I doubt the sensor itself is bad. I agree with redninja, plug is probably loose or the wire routing might be a little off pulling on the connector.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Well I think the message speaks for itself.
A problem with the lambda sensor... But what kind of problem.....

I've seen this problem before on the forum if I remember correct.
The sensor is sticking in your exhaust, left hand side near the side stand.
Check if it's fastened correctly, I believe this was the cause when I read about this.

Let us now !
Sounds like your 02sensor readings are out of range. Its screwed into the exhaust pipe just below the charcoal canister box on the left side of your bike as you sitting on it. You can check to see if its come loose or the electrical plug which is behind the charcoal box is unplugged or damaged. Or back to your auth dealer for a diag/adaptation value reset.
I doubt the sensor itself is bad. I agree with redninja, plug is probably loose or the wire routing might be a little off pulling on the connector.
Ok, that's 3 people for the loose sensor, go check it mate ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So.... I tinkered with it last night. Unplugged and Unscrewed and then re-installed and no luck. Seem like the part is defective.

Now its waiting time.

Hopefully the part isn't on back order or doesn't have to come on a ship from Italy.

Very frustrating, but I know its worth the wait.

Thanks again for everyone's insight.

·
Registered
639 Posts
So.... I tinkered with it last night. Unplugged and Unscrewed and then re-installed and no luck. Seem like the part is defective.

Now its waiting time.

Hopefully the part isn't on back order or doesn't have to come on a ship from Italy.

Very frustrating, but I know its worth the wait.

Thanks again for everyone's insight.
You'll have to ask your dealer to be completely sure but I think you can stil ride the bike ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Noel.

I checked the NGK web site and it seems they don't have current MV Agusta models in the drop down menu.

I will need to check the number on the part. Might get me alot further.

Do you have any experience with Bosch O2 sensors?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One Question:

Is it possible that the Lamba Sensor could have malfunctioned due to gas with ethanol in it?

I am just baffled that this happened.

·
Registered
37 Posts
One Question:

Is it possible that the Lamba Sensor could have malfunctioned due to gas with ethanol in it?

I am just baffled that this happened.
Its possible you just have a bad sensor, but there are some other things that the dealer needs to rule out before replacing parts. I would say its OK to ride but if there is a bigger issue with the ECM or something its best to have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts
02?

Thanks Noel.

I checked the NGK web site and it seems they don't have current MV Agusta models in the drop down menu.

I will need to check the number on the part. Might get me alot further.

Do you have any experience with Bosch O2 sensors?
look for the numbers on the Lambda sensor.......IF THE PLUG IS PROPERLY CONNECTED

if the sensor is loose in the pipe......it doesn't matter on 3,4&5 wire sensors because they are powered and grounded through the harness

Bosch sensors? 100,000mi of watching a separate Lambda meter.......a narrow band in real time
:naughty:

you can't run at A/F 8 or 20+ so........:wtf::wtf:

:drummer:

I have no idea what parameters generate the error code

·
Registered
37 Posts
looking at your video, it seems as if your battery might be low or you have a loose ground connection, as the dash seems to flash/flicker when starting, don't think that's normal? Some bikes with similar ECMs are real sensitive to voltage fluctuations and can throw all kinds of codes as a result. Check your battery terminals make sure they are tight. (I know its under the tank) If you have a multimeter and are comfortable doing some quick tests you can check the 02 sensor. Since it codes as soon as you start it up and not after getting to normal operating temp, my money is still on a connection issue/open circuit somewhere. Good Luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a warning message " RPM Sensor" and bike would not start anymore, just cranks but won't run. Nice part was that it quit right in front of my garage door, lol.
If you disconnect the battery for a few minutes it will erase the error code, in my case I did so and the bike did start up again. Helps figuring out if checking connections on your lamba sensor did help or not, once the code is there it will stay till you or your shop clears it.
In my case the bike ran fine afterwards but I still had the dealer pick it up to get it fixed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts