MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Great picture John, the 750S America kicked off my love affair with MV's. I'd love to own one. :smoking:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
ok. i'm speaking out of admitted ignorance as i was only introduced to MV when the F4 came out...the SP01 actually. my question is, when these bikes in this picture came out, where they just as coveted and as aesthetically ahead of everything else out there as the F4? were they beauties with a little help needed in the power department compared to other makes like the '00 F4? where they the object of lust in the motorcycle world, or the marquee to watch out for?

i'm just curious.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
They were hellish expensive as I recall, about 5 times the price of a 750 Honda of the time. Shaft drive meant they were quite heavy too, even by 70's standards. We complain about the F4 being heavier than it's Japanese rivals now, but the 750S was just the same, in fact relatively more so. Around 240 Kg I believe. I recall drooling over one in the window of our local dealers back in about 1977. Another odd point was they were 790cc not 749 or whatever. Top speed was about 130 ish so comparable with the other 'quick' bikes in it's day. They made about 75 bhp so more or less the same as a 750 Honda but the Honda was much lighter.

Despite all that, I'd still love to own one. :smoking:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
style_one said:
when these bikes in this picture came out, where they just as coveted and as aesthetically ahead of everything else out there as the F4? where they the object of lust in the motorcycle world, or the marquee to watch out for?
Given that MV were on the scale of Schumacher Ferrari pre 05 or a Honda GP bike pre YamahaRossi these bikes were like buying an F20x or RCV and taking it home to the garage. My understanding is they were as close as you could get to what had been winning GP's, TT's and Giro's but without the Count's crusher following you home!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
JamesC said:
Given that MV were on the scale of Schumacher Ferrari pre 05 or a Honda GP bike pre YamahaRossi these bikes were like buying an F20x or RCV and taking it home to the garage. My understanding is they were as close as you could get to what had been winning GP's, TT's and Giro's but without the Count's crusher following you home!!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes...damn near a race bike as you could get...and still beautiful!

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was immediately stricken by the similarity between the picture and your avatar, Airfuel. The resemblence in uncanny, especially in the headers/exhaust, and the headlight. They're even striking the same pose!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts