MV Agusta Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
G'day from west oz, thanks for showing us your project. That first pic was kinda sad to see such beauty neglected but good she's being cared for now!

Reactions: Daegoba

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wanted to post an update for you guys that are following this thread.
1st: let me express my deepest gratitude to those of you who have messaged me privately and offered your knowledge, support, and encouragement. It really does mean a lot to me.
Now, on to the fun stuff!

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

This is how the bike is sitting today. I have been busy cleaning and having the extra set of wheels tended to, while Serial Machines in Salisbury, NC has done most of the tedious work. The guy that owns and operates that shop is a licensed A&P mechanic by trade, and I must give him most of the credit. He is head and shoulders above me in mechanical ability, and it wouldn’t be right not to mention him on this project. We have been dear friends for many years, and to be able to share this with him is a great honor.

The fuel system has probably been the most difficult in this process by far. The tank was left with just enough fuel in it to utterly destroy the inside of the tank. The pump assembly and one of the injectors we’re beyond saving. I did find an OEM injector through a local Piaggio/Vespa dealer (Piaggio Beverley 500: part# 8304275), and Gotham Cycles had a Bosch fuel pump from a Duc on the shelf. The hoses were replaced with ethanol-friendly variants, so I shouldn’t have anymore issues moving forward.

The cooling system is in good shape, but I did take the time to straighten all the bent fins. It’s tedious, but therapeutic.

The brakes all seemed to be in good working order, but everything was disassembled & cleaned for good measure. I haven’t found a good resource for a rebuild kit for either the front or rear Nissin calipers, so if someone has guidance on that, I would be greatly appreciative.

I was given a set of clutches with the bike, but upon inspection, the discs and plates were both above spec., so they will remain. The inside of the engine looks spectacular. Clean, fresh, and waiting to be filled with fresh oil and heat cycled.

Until next time, gentlemen. Hopefully my next post will be with pics of a completed bike with a detailed storytelling of the entire process.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Intermediate shots are welcome too!
Haha noted!

I want it to be a good read for those who like stories.The bike means a lot to me, so I’m gonna try and catalog it here, from the beginning to the end, for the sake of posterity.

Don’t worry-I’m taking plenty of pics, and I’ll put a comprehensive post together when I’ve got my head in the wind. ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Anyone have a source in the US for front & rear brake caliper rebuild kits? eBay has stuff in GB, but I’d like something a little more local if possible.

To add on this: anyone have the Nissin part numbers for the calipers?

Also-a source for a fork rebuild kit would be awesome as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You can just send your forks to Fast Bike Industries for a rebuild. Send them an email. Excellent company. They installed cartridges by Nitron in my 910.
I ain’t really into letting someone else do the work for me, if I know how to do it myself. Maybe I’ll reach out to them and see if they’ll sell me the stuff to do it though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
LONG POST WARNING

So here’s a fun one for you guys.

The chain guards on my bike were destroyed. As I was pressure washing all the grit & grime from storage, I noticed that there were chunks coming from the rear of the bike. I shut down the washer and picked up a piece of this mystery material up off the concrete, and yep-the chain guard was literally disintegrating. I touched it with my fingers, and it crumbled in my hands like stale bread.

Shit.

So, I call up my buddy that sold it to me, and ask if he happened to have anymore of these laying around. (It’s a consumable, so I’m hoping he has been proactive with this, as he has been with other parts. Also, rememberhe owns(ed) TWO of these bikes: the one I purchased from him, and his all-red track bike, that is in storage) He says that he doesn’t, but that he does have an extra swingarm, and he believes there’s chain guards on that one that I’m welcome to.

Well, we head over to the storage unit. We find the swingarm. Sure enough-it’s got the chain guards on it! But, just as you expected, they have been in storage as well and crumble the moment we touch them. What to do?

I’m down at Motorcycles of Charlotte leaning over the parts counter again. John is wearing his wry smile at my lamenting over the lack of consumable parts available for this project. I order the other stuff I need and bid the parts guys farewell. On my way out, I have to bypass the other three MV’s they have on the floor: a couple of Turismo Veloce, and a Brutale.

…a Brutale!

I snap a couple pics of the swingarm, and rush back to compare. Here’s what I saw.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Bicycle part Rim

This is my F4. And here is the Brutale swingarm:

Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Hood

Looks close, right?! I called and ordered both the upper, and the lower. It took 7 weeks, but they finally showed up.

Bumper Road surface Wood Asphalt Automotive exterior

Well… I get back and tear the rest of the rear suspension off, clean up a bit, and cram this upper into the swingarm. It’s tough, but I finally get it in there…

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part

…and it, sort of fits. But not really. It’s really nice up front and in the middle, but you can see that out back? The swingarms are definitely longer, and this reflects that. Now, normal people would’ve done who-knows-what, but I’m a weirdo. A weirdo with some fab skills and a little determination.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Wood Automotive exterior Composite material Fixture Bumper

I notch around the hole to find out just where this thing mountain the rear, and trace the excess material hanging out with a sharpie.

Shoe Hood Wood Motor vehicle Font

I cut the excess rough with snips and a razor, use a 180° grinder with a tootsie roll to clean the edges, and fit it precisely to my sharpie marks. I also used a soldering rod to melt a recess into the guard so I could use the old mounting hardware.

Wood Font Grass Material property Tints and shades

Once that was finished, I re-installed the guard into the swingarm.

Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Gear

Looks like it’ll work! Now, onto the lower chain guard. The original broke fairly quick. I had suspected that the lower would be just as far off as the upper, and I was right. I couldn’t trim it to fit the same way. I’d have to make a new one.

I was able to lay the old one over a piece of ABS plastic, and trace it out with a silver sharpie. Once it was traced, I cut it out with a bandsaw, and even used some heat to curve the front just as the original was. It fit perfect!

These types of situations are what I love about working on bikes. Much like real life, they always seem to throw unforeseen obstacles at you, and it’s largely your attitude (and a small amount of ability) on how you overcome them. Until next time, guys.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,852 Posts
The first gen chain guides are all discontinued. You are not alone !!!
Good job on adapting the newer models chain guard. Someone else di this, but they cut out a section from the middle and glued it back together to shrink it down to size. I like your idea better.
The 3D printed one from Italy is 5 mm off on the rear hole. I made it work on Ryan's F4 with the dremel tool ... hopefully the guy in Italy is fixing his...
Now, we need a reproduction of the lower guide and the frame plate guards.
Again, the new model frame plate guards can be made to work, but would rather original design.

By the way... pressure washers and MV Agustas do not like each other.

Reactions: Daegoba

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Yes Michele is working on the new 3D version, grrrrrrr. As I said numerous times grrrrrrr. Italy in on vacation at the moment. GRRRRRR and did you hear me GRRRRRRRRRR

21 - 40 of 50 Posts