MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone.
From the Charlotte area, and I’ve always been attracted to the brand. 20 years ago, my friend and I (he rode; I didn’t… yet) would talk about how beautiful MV Agusta’s were while in tech school. I was into design, and had followed Massimo Tamburini for awhile. The F4 had debuted a couple years ago, and the Brutale was new. We were both smitten, daydreaming about them while getting drunk and lusting over the idea of owning one someday.

I bought my first bike a few years later (a Buell XB, which I still have and ride), and fell deeper into motorcycles than even those who got me into them. I built a career in professional racing and auto restoration over the last 20 years, and just recently bought my first MV Agusta: a ‘02 F4 750S.

Anyways, I’m in the middle of restoring it. I want to go ahead and thank you all for the knowledge I’ve already gleaned from stalking the site over the last few months. It’s been really nice to have this board as a resource. I’ll post pics (and maybe a few stories) as the build progresses.

As a teaser, here’s the bike when I bought it. She has been parked since September of 2011. It’s been a wonderful experience so far. Stay tuned…

Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome!

What the story behind that bike (and others)? What other bikes were around it? Pics?
Well, when I bought my Buell, I met this guy that lived on the other side of the block from me who had a few taillights peeking out from his covered carport. I eventually stopped in and introduced myself. We became friends. He actually introduced me to my wife years into our friendship! Anyways, our friendship grew, and he is the one who really turned me into a Motorcyclist. It was his bike, and after years of asking, he finally sold it to me.

He’s an industrial architect, and has since “mileaged out” from riding. He’s got several bikes. The ones in the pic are an ‘02 Duke 640, and an ‘03’K1200S.
After we agreed to the deal, he took me to his storage unit, and showed me a treasure trove of CB Hondas, an Duc Sport Classic, some other BMWs, and his other F4, a track bike that is all red.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to the family !!!! Charlotte is not so far away, let me know if you need help/advise.
Man thank you so much! I’m kind of having a fit finding a set of the Magneti Marelli IWP 048 fuel injectors… help with that would be great! I’m trying to avoid the Chinese stuff on eBay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seems to me you’ll do a great job. Please post progress pics along the way. These kinds of posts are dear to many on here. —Giving life back to a deserving design. Thanks for joining!
I have always tried to be really good about documenting experiences like this. I usually wait until the end, but maybe I can put something together weekly for you guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So glad you took good photos before cleaning it up. And damn, did it clean up nicely!
The '02 & '03 were great 750's. The all silver F4 is special in my book. Stunning.
I’ve been told that only 50 made it here in 2002, but I don’t know where or how to verify that. Either way-I am a fan if the all silver. I even had the extra set of wheels painted silver to match. It’s gonna be a show stopper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Wanted to post an update for you guys that are following this thread.
1st: let me express my deepest gratitude to those of you who have messaged me privately and offered your knowledge, support, and encouragement. It really does mean a lot to me.
Now, on to the fun stuff!

Wheel Tire Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire

This is how the bike is sitting today. I have been busy cleaning and having the extra set of wheels tended to, while Serial Machines in Salisbury, NC has done most of the tedious work. The guy that owns and operates that shop is a licensed A&P mechanic by trade, and I must give him most of the credit. He is head and shoulders above me in mechanical ability, and it wouldn’t be right not to mention him on this project. We have been dear friends for many years, and to be able to share this with him is a great honor.

The fuel system has probably been the most difficult in this process by far. The tank was left with just enough fuel in it to utterly destroy the inside of the tank. The pump assembly and one of the injectors we’re beyond saving. I did find an OEM injector through a local Piaggio/Vespa dealer (Piaggio Beverley 500: part# 8304275), and Gotham Cycles had a Bosch fuel pump from a Duc on the shelf. The hoses were replaced with ethanol-friendly variants, so I shouldn’t have anymore issues moving forward.

The cooling system is in good shape, but I did take the time to straighten all the bent fins. It’s tedious, but therapeutic.

The brakes all seemed to be in good working order, but everything was disassembled & cleaned for good measure. I haven’t found a good resource for a rebuild kit for either the front or rear Nissin calipers, so if someone has guidance on that, I would be greatly appreciative.

I was given a set of clutches with the bike, but upon inspection, the discs and plates were both above spec., so they will remain. The inside of the engine looks spectacular. Clean, fresh, and waiting to be filled with fresh oil and heat cycled.

Until next time, gentlemen. Hopefully my next post will be with pics of a completed bike with a detailed storytelling of the entire process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Intermediate shots are welcome too!
Haha noted!

I want it to be a good read for those who like stories.The bike means a lot to me, so I’m gonna try and catalog it here, from the beginning to the end, for the sake of posterity.

Don’t worry-I’m taking plenty of pics, and I’ll put a comprehensive post together when I’ve got my head in the wind. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Anyone have a source in the US for front & rear brake caliper rebuild kits? eBay has stuff in GB, but I’d like something a little more local if possible.

To add on this: anyone have the Nissin part numbers for the calipers?

Also-a source for a fork rebuild kit would be awesome as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts