MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello~ ^^

well i'm planning to ride at track but it's my 1st time
(i had many chance to ride at track but couldn't go)
so i really need your help
where should i beging? where is the best track to start with?
what i need etc...

please help me i need all the information from experience riders

thank you and hope 2 hear from you guys soon

take care~ and safe ride ^^

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JamesC said:
Try to link up with some of the guys in your area for your first time. It will be a huge help! Weren't three guys from LA at the track two weekends ago? Perhaps you can tag along on their next visit?

thanks i love 2 go who ever is going for there next visit ^^

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
not sure when i'm gonig to do my next day...

maybe this is a good reason to get out the calendar and take a look.

but before we get too far in this process, do you have the right gear? you'll need the following:
1. full leather suit (can be two piece if it's made right)
----OR----
high-quality synthetic full suit - like an aerostich
2. full face helmet - in good condition (never dropped)
3. gloves - the gauntlet type which cover the wrists
4. boots - motorcycle specific that cover the ankles

and your bike needs to be in good shape, with very good tires.

have you got all that covered?

alex

·
Registered
281 Posts
JamesC said:
Try to link up with some of the guys in your area for your first time. It will be a huge help! Weren't three guys from LA at the track two weekends ago? Perhaps you can tag along on their next visit?
James, any suggestions for Texas folk? Have you dealt with LSTD school? I have not been to the track but know that it would be a blast. What experience(s) do you have in Texas and would you recommend how I might get started?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Apart from what have already been said (good advices), let me just ad that you should get some cheap track fairings (if you have the time for that, of course).
Also, take it easy and try to be relaxed as the first time can be a somewhat scary experience if you ride with guys a lot faster than you.
Try to focus on getting a good clean line as there's nothing worse than a newbie cutting corners or braking in the middle of a turn.
Good luck and keep us posted on your first time :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hi Steve,

For a TON of track time can you make it up to the AMS day on Sept 18 or maybe the Eurosport/Cyclesport day on Oct 30? MSR is a fun track either config or direction. There are usually two classes with these two; Beginner and Advanced and the runs are much longer per class..so you go out every other session and each session is longer. Quite a bit of track time for your trouble.

·
Registered
281 Posts
JamesC said:
Hi Steve,

For a TON of track time can you make it up to the AMS day on Sept 18 or maybe the Eurosport/Cyclesport day on Oct 30? MSR is a fun track either config or direction. There are usually two classes with these two; Beginner and Advanced and the runs are much longer per class..so you go out every other session and each session is longer. Quite a bit of track time for your trouble.
Thanks James, I will look into these suggestions and might be able to get away in Oct. Do you have any handy links to point me at?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
altoon said:
not sure when i'm gonig to do my next day...

maybe this is a good reason to get out the calendar and take a look.

but before we get too far in this process, do you have the right gear? you'll need the following:
1. full leather suit (can be two piece if it's made right)
----OR----
high-quality synthetic full suit - like an aerostich
2. full face helmet - in good condition (never dropped)
3. gloves - the gauntlet type which cover the wrists
4. boots - motorcycle specific that cover the ankles

and your bike needs to be in good shape, with very good tires.

have you got all that covered?

alex
yes Alex
im read to go (may be new tire but good 2 go)
go go go ^^

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
that's good.

next, we need to pick a date & track.

here's the track day calendar (for so. cal.) that i use:
http://www.biketweakers.com/trackcalendar_2006.html

for a first-timer, i don't think the track makes that much difference. you're going to be learning a lot the whole time, and any track will give you that, so pick on based on what you want, say location or cost.

alex

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
altoon said:
that's good.

next, we need to pick a date & track.

here's the track day calendar (for so. cal.) that i use:
http://www.biketweakers.com/trackcalendar_2006.html

for a first-timer, i don't think the track makes that much difference. you're going to be learning a lot the whole time, and any track will give you that, so pick on based on what you want, say location or cost.

alex
thanks Alex
nice list well im pretty much open on September on the weekends
after laber day so when you pick up the date please let me know

i like to go with some one who has some experience ^^

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Add a back protector to your list.

I suggest your first day should be with a group that includes some instruction, not just open sessions. Class with Reg Pridemore is in your area and a great place to start. Reg and his instructors are great for beginning track riders. www.classrides.com

Get Keith Code's book, Twist of the Wrist volume 2. It's not the best, or a great read, but there are a lot of good concepts in that book that will help you understand you and your bike.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Good on ya. Have fun.

I'd say don't go to a big, wide open track to start with. You start trying to learn the wrong stuff. Go to a smaller tighter track. Streets of Willow would be good, or Pahrump. For people near my area, I can't think of a better place to start riding than Arroyo Seco. As a matter of fact, Doug Chandler chose Arroyo Seco for his son's first races as well. It's a nice place.

Don't stress too much about your first day. I've had to help some first timers a few times (I try to help out at the track), and here's my thoughts:

o Get your gear situation figured out and make sure it all fits right before you get there. Go out on a decently long ride with all your gear.

o Do whatever is necessary for the track day organization. Most of the time it's just taking off mirrors and taping over the glass/plastic. If you want to safety wire, do that, but I've never had to do it on the MV for a track day.

o For the above statement, do EVERYTHING necessary to the bike BEFORE you get to the track. Don't waste precious time at the track fiddling with the bike.

o I wouldn't worry about track bodywork and some of the bike mods people talk about UNLESS you know yourself well enough to know that you're going to push the limit and go down. There's always the off chance that someone else will take you down, and in that case the bodywork would be nice. That should be a very small possibility if you are in the right group, everyone is following the rules, and instructors are enforcing the rules. Wild riders normally get pulled out quick.

o Don't worry about your suspension setup, tire pressure, bike mods, etc on the first day. It might be a good idea to have your dealer help you set suspension sag and baseline damping, but it's not necesary for the first day. Set tire pressure to whatever you would use on the street for the first day, or first few sessions anyway.

o Go out and ride around like you are on the street, except don't look behind you and if you are into antics on the street (wheelies, "dipping" the bike to get your knee down, looking behind you at your buddies, etc), don't do those. Just ride. Learn how the track goes. Concentrate on being consistent and smooth. Follow the rules closely. Bad street habits will follow you to the track, so will good ones. Concentrate on the good ones, try to shed the bad ones. Instructors can help you with this.

o Drink lots of water, don't tire yourself out, stay sharp. If you're not feeling well, don't ride. It's probably not going to get any better on the track.

The point is to RIDE, and not sweat details that aren't about riding. Just go out and get your laps in. I guarantee you'll be a better rider at the end of the day if you just go out and ride rather than spending time on anything that prevents you from doing more laps. Other than health type issues, of course.

Sorry, that was a dissertation. I've been riding on the track a while and I get asked about what to do for the first day all the time. I've got my opinions.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^

acruhl said:
Good on ya. Have fun.

I'd say don't go to a big, wide open track to start with. You start trying to learn the wrong stuff. Go to a smaller tighter track. Streets of Willow would be good, or Pahrump. For people near my area, I can't think of a better place to start riding than Arroyo Seco. As a matter of fact, Doug Chandler chose Arroyo Seco for his son's first races as well. It's a nice place.

Don't stress too much about your first day. I've had to help some first timers a few times (I try to help out at the track), and here's my thoughts:

o Get your gear situation figured out and make sure it all fits right before you get there. Go out on a decently long ride with all your gear.

o Do whatever is necessary for the track day organization. Most of the time it's just taking off mirrors and taping over the glass/plastic. If you want to safety wire, do that, but I've never had to do it on the MV for a track day.

o For the above statement, do EVERYTHING necessary to the bike BEFORE you get to the track. Don't waste precious time at the track fiddling with the bike.

o I wouldn't worry about track bodywork and some of the bike mods people talk about UNLESS you know yourself well enough to know that you're going to push the limit and go down. There's always the off chance that someone else will take you down, and in that case the bodywork would be nice. That should be a very small possibility if you are in the right group, everyone is following the rules, and instructors are enforcing the rules. Wild riders normally get pulled out quick.

o Don't worry about your suspension setup, tire pressure, bike mods, etc on the first day. It might be a good idea to have your dealer help you set suspension sag and baseline damping, but it's not necesary for the first day. Set tire pressure to whatever you would use on the street for the first day, or first few sessions anyway.

o Go out and ride around like you are on the street, except don't look behind you and if you are into antics on the street (wheelies, "dipping" the bike to get your knee down, looking behind you at your buddies, etc), don't do those. Just ride. Learn how the track goes. Concentrate on being consistent and smooth. Follow the rules closely. Bad street habits will follow you to the track, so will good ones. Concentrate on the good ones, try to shed the bad ones. Instructors can help you with this.

o Drink lots of water, don't tire yourself out, stay sharp. If you're not feeling well, don't ride. It's probably not going to get any better on the track.

The point is to RIDE, and not sweat details that aren't about riding. Just go out and get your laps in. I guarantee you'll be a better rider at the end of the day if you just go out and ride rather than spending time on anything that prevents you from doing more laps. Other than health type issues, of course.

Sorry, that was a dissertation. I've been riding on the track a while and I get asked about what to do for the first day all the time. I've got my opinions.
wa woo thank you sooooooo much for your information. ^^
it's going to be help me alot
once again thank u for shareing your experience
hope u have good one
take care~

kind reg.
STEVE

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Steve,

I have to agree with Andy on track selection. Having your first trackday at Fontana AMA layout, for example, is very daunting. The sheer highspeed nature of the track then having people passing you everywhere is definately discouraging. Fontana Infield layout or Street of Willow, you will like better. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
here is my track prep list. everytime I pack, i jast go down the list. the best advice that I can give you is: know your limits!! it's better to get passed by someone, then go to emergency room and fix your bike.

Relax and enjoy!!

Rider Gear
[ x] Leathers
[ x] Gloves
[ x] Boots
[ x] Helmet
[ x] Back protector
[ x] extra socks
[ X] Earplugs
[ ] Tinted/Clear Visor

Rider Previsions
[x ] Coolers with ice & water