MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
already @ 600 miles. So went in for a late night service, but almost my whole exhaust needs to come off to do a lube job????!! Joys of having an italian i guess. Also changed to carbon brake pads hoping to improve on the mediocre braking performance of the stock nissins. Almost all of my MV buddies have throw away their nissins in exchange for brembos, im being cheap with just the pads for now. Will report back on the carbon metallics soon.

...........and a good friend took delivery of this huge a$$ mofo......and to think i almost got one too!! scary.........

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i think there's a special tool to remove the filter w/o removing the pipes, but it aint here yet...... so welcome to a 1.5 hour oil change!!

airfuel said:
No need to take any exhaust part off! You did it the HARD way!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The last time I changed my oil I took the lower air dam off and swung out the oil cooler to get my pudgy hand on the filter and locking ring. It was also a good time to clean out all that road grime from the dam and cooler.

·
Registered
75 Posts
So according to the pics, after you completed the oil change your bike tirned into an unattractive, white V-Twin.

You should have just gone to the dealer if you knew that was gonna happen!

BTW you do not really have to remove the headers to change the oil. Or at least I do not. Use the MV filter tool on the end of the filter and tighten it with one of those oil filter wrenches (wrenching on the filter tool) you get at Kragan or wherever instead of a ratchet. It fits in there fine with a little cajoling. Then you got time to wash your car :)

Ride Well

Gabriel

·
Registered
762 Posts
motogarden said:
............Use the MV filter tool on the end of the filter and tighten it with one of those oil filter wrenches (wrenching on the filter tool) you get at Kragan or wherever instead of a ratchet. It fits in there fine with a little cajoling. Then you got time to wash your car :)

Ride Well

Gabriel
I believe there are a couple of different sizes they have at kragen... do you happen to remember which one specifically? Thanks...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don't need to open the exhaust

Hey, you don't need to open the exhaust and all this. Only lose the front oil radiator and it will be easy to remove it. Don't worry i change it alot like that. So you don't need to remove the radiator just lost it and it will be easy to open. If you need anything else let me know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The smallest one they have did it for me. Fits down to 2 1/2" filters (but really less). And it is very adjustable :) The ones that look like funky pliers, not one of the strap viaiety...Fine for the job I did.

Good luck.

Gabriel

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I just flip my bike upside down and drain it that way. So there really is an easier way! LOL

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back to life, but i do have a question.
How do all you guys that do not remove the pipes, get your torque wrenches in there to tighten up the oil filter?
I did my first oil change last weekend, had a hard time with the oil cooler, couldnt get it "unsprung", so i moved it to the side a few centimeters and used the oil wrench to loosen the old filter. When it was time to install the new oil filter, i was not able to fit my torque wrench with the oil socketl in the gap between the filter and the pipes.
Whats the secret here?
I tightened the oil filter with a regular wrench, went for a ride, and noticed a small leak from the oil filter gasket, i am thinking of removing the pipes and tightening by specs, 24Nm

·
Registered
645 Posts
motogarden said:
BTW you do not really have to remove the headers to change the oil. Or at least I do not. Use the MV filter tool on the end of the filter and tighten it with one of those oil filter wrenches (wrenching on the filter tool) you get at Kragan or wherever instead of a ratchet. It fits in there fine with a little cajoling. Then you got time to wash your car :)

Ride Well

Gabriel
Yep, its like $6 bucks, makes life a whole lot easier.

·
Registered
349 Posts
CHB said:
I used an extension with swivel socket. Not a leak!

I tried diffrent extension sockets, but the angle cant get it thru. Doesnt the torque numbers change when using extensions with the torque wrench?(i hated physics in college). If sitting on the right side of the bike, and facing the pipes, i cant get a "window" to slide the extension thru to the oil filter. To do this, i would have to take the pipes off, because they are in the way.
Maybe someone sells a torque wrench with a slim head that i can squeze in there?

Its not a huge leak, i keep noticing some oil accumulating on the bottom of the oil filter after i ride. I just dont feel like taking the pipes off...

·
Registered
35 Posts
MaskU2See, I recently changed the oil and filter on my 910R and there is no scope to access the filter with the right-hand headers in place. My system is the full titanium MV Corse system which might have a different shape to the factory fitted headers and, even if I rotated the oil-cooler forward, the oil filter would be in contact with the springs on the header before the filter is fully removed.

I have access to a very complete range of tools and equipment, but my exhaust system required lowering to gain access to the filter for removing and subsequent fitting and torque tightening.

I would be very pleased to receive advice about the method to remove and to torque tighten the oil filter without the requirement to remove the right hand headers please.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I would be very pleased to receive advice about the method to remove and to torque tighten the oil filter without the requirement to remove the right hand headers please.[/QUOTE]

You and me both, brotha.
I can tighten the filter with a normal socket wrench, but can not get the torque wrench in there as the head of it is a bit larger.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
there is a special tool the shop told me about before, i'll take a picture next time i go in for a change.

MaskU2See said:
I would be very pleased to receive advice about the method to remove and to torque tighten the oil filter without the requirement to remove the right hand headers please.

You and me both, brotha.
I can tighten the filter with a normal socket wrench, but can not get the torque wrench in there as the head of it is a bit larger.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you, MaskU2See and johnsk6. If an image is available of the special tool to access the oil filter, I would be very appreciative of your posting the picture. Thank you.

Indeed, as I have indicated, there is insufficient clearance between my 910R headers and the oil filter to insert any tool currently available to me, and I look forward to seeing the tool which might provide access to the filter.

With kind regards.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The MV oil filter is not unlike any other oil filter you've had to deal with over the years. A good snug "hand-tight" is going to be very close to the specified torque, without measuring it with a torque wrench. Worried about it coming loose? I've never had one come loose yet (knock on wood) on any of my cars or motorcycles, and they are all hand tightened; furthermore, your MV has the extra insurance, which I've never seen on any other vehicle, of the plastic saftey band which prevents the filter from backing out.

So don't worry about wrenches and taking the exhaust off, just hand-tighten. If your hands are too big, then you'll just have to take the exhaust off. Once you do it once it gets a lot faster the next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts