MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I understand why the MCN-UK reporters were so tough on the F3. It is soooo beautiful, so sleek, narrow, light, agile, flick able. It shows so much promise. Just sitting still it begs me to throw a leg over and make silly varoom-varoom sounds. But the anticipation of that promise quickly faded to disappointment when the engine started and I rolled away only to find that the throttle response was not what I’d expected.

In Normal mode there is a huge approximately 1/8th turn of the throttle before I get any reply from the engine. It’s like when you first replace the throttle cable on an old dirt bike. There’s so much free play that the twist grip flops around until you adjust it out. But how can us regular folk adjust a preset map on a fly-by-wire system? The low end, under 4000 rpm, is jerky, hard to modulate. Similarly, it surged as I tried to maintain constant speeds through villages or out on the open roads. The most frustrating though was the repeated stalling. Every time I pulled in the clutch it’s as if the engine died, only to re fire with a jerk as I released the lever. During the first 40 kilometers, at every stop as I down shifted to 2nd or 1st, it would stall. Blipping the throttle on each down shift kept the engine running until that last pull on the clutch lever as I rolled to a stop when I would discover the exhaust note absent.

WTF??? I had to make a second trip to the dealer to pick up the bike because they wouldn’t release it the first time without the map up-grade. There was a screw up with the procedure that required a six-digit code that no one had, or knew anything about.
I thought map # 070SB"46, which is what they supposedly loaded, was the latest and it solved all these issues. Well, I’m here to say, the Normal map SUCKS! If it’s better then the first maps I hate to think what those test riders rode.

I tried, I really did but after 40 kilometers I had to take a break and switch from the Normal to the Sport map.
I made a pit stop, had a raspberry ice to cool down and snapped a few pics. See the F3 photo thread.

I fired up the bike, changed the map and proceeded to travel another 60 kilometers. Up hill and down dale, turning around several times to retrace the road I’d just ridden, I am fortunate to live in an area with exactly the type of roads the manual specifies for a proper break in.

The first thing I noticed was that there was no free play in the twist grip. Each small increment of movement was rewarded with an equal rise in rpm. The second thing was no stalling at stops; well not until I got into the city. For most of the ride the temp stayed one bar below the mid line. But four stoplights into the city and it was a bar above. It was while in the city that it stalled in Sport mode. Again coming to a stop, not pulling away.
At speed it still had a slight hint of surging but nothing like in Normal mode.

I stopped to top up the tank, as I was curious about fuel consumption on this Molly’s maiden outing. Well, 9.992 liters to travel approximately 110 kilometers I guess it’s about what you’d expect during break in.

Clouds were moving in so I cut the ride short. When I returned home I couldn’t believe how stiff and sore I was. That had to have been the most intense, stressful ride I’ve made in decades. I know I’m out of shape and Molly requires a much more severe upper body position then I’m use to but still… I’ve jumped onto superbikes and wrung their necks before without major pains. It didn’t help that several times when the bike stalled I had to scramble to get a foot down to keep from falling over. Being so short and the bike having a seat that does not allow one to slide easily caused a moment or two. This led to several painful muscle cramps. As well, the humidex was in the mid 30’s c., which led to another biker’s worst nightmare.
While stopped at a light perspiration ran down my face and I lifted my visor to wipe my face, hit my magnetic clip on sunglasses which fell onto the road just as the light changed. Another quick dismount while the ass hats behind me pulled around and drove off. Luckily they all missed my glasses but what the hey, like they couldn’t wait 30 seconds for me to retrieve my shades?

Anyway, here are a few points I missed or wish to underscore.

Pros:
-Bike sounds amazingly like an old, air-cooled, carbureted, Porsche flat six racer. Especially when short shifting through the gears.
-Handling is great at low speeds with an actual turning radius. This makes it more parking lot, turn around because you missed your turn, friendly. Unlike some other bikes I know, (Ducati).
-Inspires confidence with it’s well planted feel whether tight switch backs or flowing esses. Dare I say, laser guided flick ability. At least at the legal road speeds I was doing, (well near ‘nuff to legal).
-Smooth downshifts, even without the clutch, but only when combined with blipping the throttle.

Cons:
-Normal mode SUCKS!!!, Did you read that MV people? IT SUCKS THE BIG ONE!!!
-Both Normal and Sport modes need more work.
-Seat height needs to come down. The manual does say ride height is adjustable but does not state how. The top mount is similar to that on the wife’s M796 and the bottom mounts via linkage. So, here’s to hoping someone comes up with new linkages.

I’m sure I’ve forgotten some things I should have mentioned. Well, if I remember something I’ll be sure to include it with my next report when I’ll try out the other two modes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Stephen, Sorry to read you are having issues. I went to the Bellevue MV dealer to see if I could get an F3 sooner from them then where I ordered mine. There was a guy there having major issues with his F3 stalling out in corners and jerky or surging engine issues at 200 miles on the odometer. He left it there for diagnostics and possibly a new ECU. I hope it is not the dame issue for you.

Iamlnace, my friend Angelo bought an 1199 and he said it is taking him a while to get used to it. Have fun, be safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm surprised to read you having problems Stephen, especially after my own experience with the bike.

My trip across Sydney in evening traffic I had no problems what so ever. The bike takes a little more clutch slip off the line than similar sized bikes, and seems to be tall geared for road riding (hence why).

But even given that, I was rarely under 4K and found the bike perfectly acceptable in any mode, feet up at 5Km/h pootling in stop start traffic.

I found no difference at all between normal and sport maps until the engine gets up over 8K. At which point sport becomes more angry. Much more angry. Down low there was no difference at all.

Either MV has significant quality control issues and I got a good one (for now), dealers have significant issues with the quality of their PDI, or you buggers can't ride.

'Smooth downshifts, even without the clutch, but only when combined with blipping the throttle.'
Please tell me you wouldn't down shift without the clutch without matching revs?

Maybe it is all because you have a 2013 model, instead of a 2012 like everyone else.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi Stephen sorry to hear about Your problems especially since You waited so long and had so much trouble to get Your F3.
Were in the garage yesterday because of the oil leak. But except of that the bike was great beat out an CBR600 RR Rider on the way. And he stoped at the garage to ask me for a bike change. The RR feels like an 1000cm compared to the MV and he was also full of good comments about the F3.
Had no problems like You wrote. Hope Your will be solved

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Trepis Toni, I agree. Mine does non of the above described, perhaps the dealer didnt update his mapping properly?

For the record, how do we check the mapping installed?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...a guy there having major issues with his F3 stalling out in corners and jerky or surging engine issues at 200 miles on the odometer.
Well, on the one hand it’s some comfort to know I’m not alone with issues. On the other hand, it’s so typically me. Murphy must have been a blood relative of mine.

...Either MV has significant quality control issues and I got a good one (for now), dealers have significant issues with the quality of their PDI, or you buggers can't ride.

Please tell me you wouldn't down shift without the clutch without matching revs?

Maybe it is all because you have a 2013 model, instead of a 2012 like everyone else.
Although I have ridden a variety of makes and models with a level of competence I would be the first to point the finger at myself. Getting use to a new seating position, making sure I get my toe on the rear brake rubber proper and not the lever casting are all part of the “new bike experience”.

Not to fear, the only way I would, indeed could downshift sans clutch is by matching revs.

And how is it possible that some have model year 2012 and others 2013? The VIN dictates model year. I thought everyone had D as the 10th character in his or her VIN. Who has a C?

Stephen, the problems that you´ve described are exactly the same we have had with the older mappings.
Are you sure that the re-mapping was done successfully?
I have only the salesman’s word that the tech loaded the map correctly. It’s possible that both the tech and the manager tested my bike. When we did the walk around it was in Sport mode. If nobody rode the bike in Normal mode than they’d not have noticed the problems.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Take it back and watch the tech install or reinstall th software. I mean sit down beside him when he plugs in and watch the whole process.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well, on the one hand it’s some comfort to know I’m not alone with issues. On the other hand, it’s so typically me. Murphy must have been a blood relative of mine.

Although I have ridden a variety of makes and models with a level of competence I would be the first to point the finger at myself. Getting use to a new seating position, making sure I get my toe on the rear brake rubber proper and not the lever casting are all part of the “new bike experience”.

Not to fear, the only way I would, indeed could downshift sans clutch is by matching revs.

And how is it possible that some have model year 2012 and others 2013? The VIN dictates model year. I thought everyone had D as the 10th character in his or her VIN. Who has a C?

I have only the salesman’s word that the tech loaded the map correctly. It’s possible that both the tech and the manager tested my bike. When we did the walk around it was in Sport mode. If nobody rode the bike in Normal mode than they’d not have noticed the problems.

Mine has a D in the VIN. I noticed the same thing as you. In normal mode it doesn't ride as nice as in sport mode. I wonder if normal mode uses the slow throttle setting rather than fast throttle setting. I went and configured the C mode with fast throttle setting and traction control off and been riding around with that. My dealer believes it has the latest map, but can't check it as they just received the software system to read and upload new software and got to set it up. It's funny, the manual says keep the revs under 6 until 300. That's virtually impossible on this bike. I wonder if what I'm feeling when I rev it in neutral is just the ultra light crank shaft with very low inertia and momemtum. Anyway, getting used to mine and the bike has a lot of character-engine, ride feel, and styling. Thus far I'm happy. Don't mean to hijack your thread. Just sharing. Hope you are enjoying yours.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine has a D in the VIN. I noticed the same thing as you. In normal mode it doesn't ride as nice as in sport mode. I wonder if normal mode uses the slow throttle setting rather than fast throttle setting. I went and configured the C mode with fast throttle setting and traction control off and been riding around with that. My dealer believes it has the latest map, but can't check it as they just received the software system to read and upload new software and got to set it up. It's funny, the manual says keep the revs under 6 until 300. That's virtually impossible on this bike. I wonder if what I'm feeling when I rev it in neutral is just the ultra light crank shaft with very low inertia and momemtum. Anyway, getting used to mine and the bike has a lot of character-engine, ride feel, and styling. Thus far I'm happy. Don't mean to hijack your thread. Just sharing. Hope you are enjoying yours.
Don’t worry about the thread, all relevant info is welcome. I find it interesting that your dealer hasn’t got the up-date module up and running yet they delivered your bike to you.
I’ve been told that all the bikes have to get the update because they didn’t get done at the factory. If that is true then your bike is running the old map.

As for me I was out for another ride again today. I played with the Custom mode but I’m not sure it was really much different then Sport mode as I ended up selecting mostly the Sport mode options. Surging was slightly worse at speed, about the same in town. It stalled once at a stop light after a long section of running at 60 then 50 kph.
What I found though was that the Rain mode was actually the best. I was able to ride the bike without any surging or stalling. It’s super easy to pull away from a stop and I could ride through villages at 2500 –3500 rpm. I will probably use Rain mode for most of the balance of the break in period. I will play around some more tomorrow with the Custom mode. However, this time I’ll select more or the Rain mode options. I’d rather have a bike I can ride easily for now then one that is suppose to produce more h.p. but is a pain in the ass to ride with-in the law.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry Stephen but this sounds like the old mapping. I remember a threat i think started by perfect or someone else who also supposed to make an costum mapping with Rain specification for low rpm to solve the problem we all had with the old mapping. Now it runs very good below 4000 for an sportsbike

·
Registered
9 Posts
Christ. Mine arrives this week on a boat - do I even want it now reading all this lot?
Apart from "it's pretty" there really isn't much positive talk on this entire forum about these bikes.

I'm happy to lose a small deposit rather than fork over a pile of money for an unresolved mess on wheels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Christ. Mine arrives this week on a boat - do I even want it now reading all this lot?
Apart from "it's pretty" there really isn't much positive talk on this entire forum about these bikes.

I'm happy to lose a small deposit rather than fork over a pile of money for an unresolved mess on wheels.
Hmmmm...got to admit, reading all this about stalling and the like isn't filling me with enthusiasm either. I'd be spewing. I went to the MV dealer in Adelaide yesterday and they offered to let me ride a couple. I'll go back and take them up on their offer, but if their demo rides like this (stalling and carrying on) I don't like their chances of a sale.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don’t worry about the thread, all relevant info is welcome. I find it interesting that your dealer hasn’t got the up-date module up and running yet they delivered your bike to you.
I’ve been told that all the bikes have to get the update because they didn’t get done at the factory. If that is true then your bike is running the old map.

As for me I was out for another ride again today. I played with the Custom mode but I’m not sure it was really much different then Sport mode as I ended up selecting mostly the Sport mode options. Surging was slightly worse at speed, about the same in town. It stalled once at a stop light after a long section of running at 60 then 50 kph.
What I found though was that the Rain mode was actually the best. I was able to ride the bike without any surging or stalling. It’s super easy to pull away from a stop and I could ride through villages at 2500 –3500 rpm. I will probably use Rain mode for most of the balance of the break in period. I will play around some more tomorrow with the Custom mode. However, this time I’ll select more or the Rain mode options. I’d rather have a bike I can ride easily for now then one that is suppose to produce more h.p. but is a pain in the ass to ride with-in the law.

Great idea on rain mode. I have not tried that mode. Will do that today. Well, the dealer was really honest and told me they just uncrated the three they received and hadn't had a chance to set up the equipment and weren't really familiar with it. I really wanted it so I took it. I brought it back and they fixed a rear tail light bulb that was not connected, taped up the exposed wires on fuse connector. They also checked again for any oil leaks and found nothing (I'm getting that funky burning hair smell...although it is much less with 280 mies on it). It is a fun bike to ride, despite the little issues. The quick shifter is really slick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the new mapping,now the bike is great at low speeds.
The bike is running perfect,even when i drive at constant speed.
100%better.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Brent1965, it's only a few people making alot of noise on the forum.

My F3 (knock on wood) has been nothing, but a pleasure to own and ride. Shi* eating grin after every ride. Super happy with it and cant fault the latest fuel maps.

I dont know which threads you were reading, but if you only look for the negative then thats all you'll find.

Stephen needs to go get his maps sorted, no fault of the bike just the dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok so I put on about 200kms riding around Toronto last night and I'm starting to get used to the bike's characteristics. I used sport mode for the most part of the night.

Throttle

Take offs still require a bit more clutch slip. But I manage to get used to it so i don't stall much. I suspect the flywheel maybe very light or there is absolutely no torque on the low end. Some may say that it's a tall first gear but it's no taller than my 2009 Triumph 675. Also the excessive throttle "slack" or "play" makes it harder to modulate. You really have to twist it more than normal. I don't think I like the feel of the fly by wire. It's too linear feel compared to a cable feel where the more you twist the more there is resistance. This feels really "loose"..but I've gotten used to it.

Stalling

IT STALLED while braking hard ROLLING from say 80 down to 40kmph. It was quite scary as the rear wheel locked up. I can't imagine what would have happend if I was mid corner on a ramp going at a good speed. I think I may have pulled in the clutch and the RPM's dropped really fast to a point that it stalled. Try riding at a constant speed and then pull in your clutch. You'll see that your RPMS drop really fast in comparison to other bikes. Again super light flywheels do that. Just like race cars. Light fly wheels are only good to reduce rotating mass...RPMs climb faster but makes take offs from a dead stop suck.

Crappy Downshifting

With the combination of the excessive play or slack on the throttle, and RPMS dropping super fast when clutch is pulled (again light flywheel effect). Blimping the throttle to match rev the gears is almost impossible. BUT, if you take up the "mile long slack" to blimp before dropping the clutch back in, it's ok. Otherwise it feels like there is a MAJOR delayed throttle response, or NO response everytime you try to blimp the throttle to downshift. I can't stand this part!

Smell

There is a funky smell with this thiing. Similar to clutch burn but not really. I didn't ride the clutch that much as most of my rides were a bunch of ramps on a mostly twisty hilly highway. I hope it goes away.

Power
Is good especially coming out of corners around 5k-7K. I wish I could give more throttle to see what this thing can do but I'm still breaking it in.

Handling
Wickedly short wheelbase makes slow U turns easy, and around the city. Ramps are absolutely wickedly fast on the turn in's.
Suspension is quite stiff from the factory. I still have to do my sag settings.

Vibrations
I was mostly riding around 4-7K (RPMs) and the vibrations on the handlebars are moderately numbing...nothing heavy bar ends can't fix.

Looks
I don't have to tell anyone that without those ugly rear foot pegs it's definately a looker.

Sound
Sounds funny at idle. LIke there's a bunch of ball bearings clanging around inside the motor. Almost like a stock dry clutch Ducati.
BUT under load accelerating out of corners on ramps, it make a glorious noise. Nicer than my old Triumph. ps: "Chicken Strips" are pretty much completely gone now! =)

Surging
NONE! I didn't find any of this at low or high speeds. Even when throwing it hard onto an off ramp! Some journalist reported that the bike feels like it's accelerating mid corner/lean and unnerving in sport mode. I didn't find this at all. I was completely satisfied with how it felt entering a corner with about 5000 rpms.

Head Lights
Once you get used to HID or Xenon lights, regular halogens SUCK!

Bottom line, I'm starting to get more and more used to this thing.
Just two things that make this bike "not perfect". The throttle slack, and engine response when down shifting.

Please let me know if you guys are experiencing the same thing.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Not too sure about the throttle "slack", mine has no slack and is very responsive (brothers 2011 Daytona throttle feels numb compared).

Have you tried custom mode?

Engine response - fast
Throttle response - rain

This is what I run and it's absolutly perfect for me.

The only time I've stalled was while slowing down/ coming to a stop, I stayed in a too high a gear for a little too long and it flamed out. I assume it's the light flywheel so moral of the story, always be in the right gear esp' while down shifting

1 - 20 of 71 Posts