Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
Rob...what is the VALUE of this?

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Can of Worms

Rob...what is the VALUE of this?
Hey Chucky, not buying into this - the perennial question of what actually constitutes a Disco Volante & what doesn't exists and gets tiresome.

But as I consider you a good friend I offer this:

Some argue only a genuine CSS has the right to be called a Disco Volante, that engine is definitely a Sport version, not a CSS, but a CS.

Whether this bike is a standard CS with a 'Disco' tank or a 'Discette' is almost impossible to tell. It makes no difference anyway as the engine spec is the same, only the CSS has the higher output motor and an extra gear......I'd like to know if this was a 4 or 5 speed.

The bike in general looks very nice with some very correct parts.

It is a bike that is largely copied and Italy unfortuantely is notorious for signing off on pretty bikes purporting to be something that they may or not be.

I purchased one with a genuine CS motor runs great and paid for what I know got and if I got anything else that is merely a bonus.

There is one for sale in Italy with 'factory workers restoration and verification" which they are asking 25K (euro) for, which I will admit looks like the real deal but experts (not that I hold myself out as one) have been fooled before even with valuable items like the Ducati Green Frames.......who knows if someone will stump up that kind of money.

This particular bike I'd like to see in the flesh but going on past sales of "Discos" I'd say where the bidding is now is upper limit & it hasn't reached reserve.....so there you have it.

Disclaimer - this post is meant for information & use of Chuck aka silentservice703 anyone else relying on information contained herein does so at their own risk.

Thanks
Rob

·
Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
Thank-you , Rob. As you know, I'd love to find a nice quality vintage MV. I don't want to get caught up in something that might be tarted up to be something it is not. I like the real deal.

As I have little experience with vintage MV bikes, I rely on the knowledge of this community. You, as a multi bike owner, and seeker of all things decadent, have my vote as someone with good information for us noobs.

I am the high bidder on this version...$10K USD max. I probably won't go higher, but I would like to find a nice, rideable, vintage MV some day.

Thanks, again, for your quick an ddesired input.

(Now, go squeeze Lou for me (and Cin!).)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Nice Bike! Wish to have such a Little juwel. But there are to many flags on the tank. When it was built in 1954, I the guys in Gallarate wouldn't put a flag for the world Championship 1955 on it. The carb looks like an UB but Not sure.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Thank-you , Rob. As you know, I'd love to find a nice quality vintage MV. I don't want to get caught up in something that might be tarted up to be something it is not. I like the real deal.

As I have little experience with vintage MV bikes, I rely on the knowledge of this community. You, as a multi bike owner, and seeker of all things decadent, have my vote as someone with good information for us noobs.

I am the high bidder on this version...$10K USD max. I probably won't go higher, but I would like to find a nice, rideable, vintage MV some day.

Thanks, again, for your quick an ddesired input.

(Now, go squeeze Lou for me (and Cin!).)
Ha ha .....I was squeezing Lou before I even read you reply, I think it was 1.00am or thereabouts when I posted to you and as soon as I wrote my name on it the computer was off & in bed :)

Classics are difficult Chuck, everything has (pretty much) had some kind of tarting up on them at one stage or another and after a while it is nearly impossible to tell what was factory and what wasn't, to an extent the bikes evolve post build and almost become "correct" through sheer persistence.

The values are all over the shop and you can only see why when you meet them in the flesh as I am learning....some have a 'vibe' hard to explain but they just feel right, look right and turn out to be right. It is part knowledge, part feel, and part damn good fortune. You have to love it to do otherwise it will do your head in.

Feel free to PM me if you want to do stuff outside of the public arena.

It is a shame you didn't get a chance to hop across the ditch when you were in NZ as you could have ridden a couple of mine and it would have given you a better perspective. I am certainly not being rude when I say you a big man & they will struggle under you as the power output is small to start with, you may also find yourself cramped on a small single. I offer my Raid as an example - 250 single whilst spacious, weights in at very hefty 145kg - it struggles under its own weight and I need to change gears a fair bit even in slightly hilly circumstances and I weight around 64kg, so you get the idea.

But as a gorgeous art piece to look at, you certainly can't go past them so there's maybe two reasons for ownership of this particular one.

Hope this helps rather than confuse you! :)

·
Registered
17,189 Posts

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
64kg robbbieeee
fark id kill to be to that weight. my coach woould be soooooo happy
i walk around at 85kg and when i fight in the ring i have to cut weight to 72-74kg in a 6 week period and at 5ft 11 i look like death.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
64kg robbbieeee
fark id kill to be to that weight. my coach woould be soooooo happy
i walk around at 85kg and when i fight in the ring i have to cut weight to 72-74kg in a 6 week period and at 5ft 11 i look like death.
:) Too funny Rob....come here you can ride some classics & I'll train you - lol. Actually I weigh myself each Thursday to see where i am at & last 2 weigh ins I was at exactly 61.3kg I just like the sound of 64 (like the Beatles song) so I use that. .. I am 5.7 & half so shorter than you. ...I was at my heaviest in 2011 when I went to Bubbalicious and had blown out to 76kgs!

I am now at the weight when I was 22 and playing in semi pro soccer league so happy with that.

Not sure what this has to do with a Disco Volante - lol x100

·
Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
Rob, Cin and I are planning a future trip to the Land Down Under exclusively. WE plan on bombing in on the hospitality of you and Lou and traversing that massive country to visit Dons and some others, too. It'll be and epic trip...down the road.

ON the subject of classics, I'd like ot find a decent, rideable, U.S. bike...the search goes on. They seem to be hard to find here. More plentiful in Italy and such...I wonder why that is?:smoking:

113 kg as of this morning, as god intended, and going strong!

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
:) Too funny Rob....come here you can ride some classics & I'll train you - lol. Actually I weigh myself each Thursday to see where i am at & last 2 weigh ins I was at exactly 61.3kg I just like the sound of 64 (like the Beatles song) so I use that. .. I am 5.7 & half so shorter than you. ...I was at my heaviest in 2011 when I went to Bubbalicious and had blown out to 76kgs!

I am now at the weight when I was 22 and playing in semi pro soccer league so happy with that.

Not sure what this has to do with a Disco Volante - lol x100

61.3 farkkkkkk id kill to be that weight. lucky man

i just saw the comment of yr weight and i was like yeh id love to be that thin and so would the coach

oh i love the disco too lol
one day man one day i hope to have one

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Because......

Rob, Cin and I are planning a future trip to the Land Down Under exclusively. WE plan on bombing in on the hospitality of you and Lou and traversing that massive country to visit Dons and some others, too. It'll be and epic trip...down the road.

ON the subject of classics, I'd like ot find a decent, rideable, U.S. bike...the search goes on. They seem to be hard to find here. More plentiful in Italy and such...I wonder why that is?:smoking:

113 kg as of this morning, as god intended, and going strong!
That will require a some careful planning as this is a massive country as you correctly pointed out, and you are looking to go from east to west coast, which is eminently possible with the correct planning to maximise the experience which we would be happy to help you do when the time comes :)

The reason they are scarce in the USA is simply down to your economic success from the 50's onwards. The motor vehicle in the US was a possible addition to any middle class family - in Europe which was still recovering from the war it was not so. In the USA small single cylinder bikes (especially given the size of the country) served no purpose and accordingly there wasn't a (real) demand to bring them in, added to this Italian bikes were right hand shifts which was a no no in the USA as I understand it.

In Italy, small affordable single cylinder bikes were a primary mode of family transport as a motor vehicle was well and truly out of reach of the common folk. Therefore the industry burgeoned and many of these bikes were produced. It wasn't until the advent of the Fiat 500 that a car that was affordable to the masses and ownership became a reality and coincided with the decline of the motorcycle industry in general - in the UK in particular it was decimated . Many of the these 'old' bikes moved into sheds, barns etc and laid to rest as there really wasn't much of a market for them.

Fast forward to motor bikes becoming a leisure pursuit and a general increase in affluence and we arrive to where we are today and of course, many of these have been very well preserved and restorations relatively straight forward affairs, say to compared to a motor vehicle.

113 kg and going strong - that's all that counts :yo: I am not sure the bike will feel the same way - hang on I'll go grab Lou throw her on the back go for a ride and report back on performance :D :later:

·
Super Moderator
22,876 Posts
When th etime comes, perhaps I will use your sleuth skills and find a bike that I can import to the U.S. of A.. Meantime, I am going to work on reducing that 113 kg to 100 kg. Losing 13 kg sounds much more appealing than losing 30, or so, pounds!

Right now, we are planning a 2016 trip to the I.O.M....after that, we'll start planning an Austrailian Adventure!

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
No Sale

Interesting to see this Disco was not sold.

44 bids @ top bid of $14998 - even more interestingly $15000 seemed to be the psychological barrier or resistance point as known in the stock game .

It would be even more interesting to know what the expectations of the vendor was - I guess (from our viewpoint - Australian) with our dollar here weakening it would knock out the Australian bidders as that kind of (US) money puts it at $20k AUD. :jsm:

I spoke to my importing guys on a side issue and they are saying business has slowed remarkably from the US importing angle - especially the Harley buyers the currency dip has removed the buyers advantage premium here.

We think this is about motorcycles but it's funny that fiscal matters impact on every market not just commodities.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hey guys,
I have been away for awhile. Divorce is quite distracting. ;-) Still in the middle but seeing light at the end finally.

Glad to see that others have taken up the cause of differentiating the phony 175 Disco tanked bikes from the ones that left Cascina Costa as authentic 4 speed Sports or Super Sports. I know this topic gets old but just wanted to suggest a correction to some things recently posted here.

The clever vernier adjustable 1-piece cam was common to all MV ohc 175 Sport models. The adjustable 2-piece camshaft turns up sometimes, but so rarely, it seems unlikely that it was typical fitment on any 4 speed 175. Maybe a race kit or special upgrade or something?

Speedometers were an optional accessory on all 1954-55 175 models, per period literature.

Best regards to all,
Ivan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts