MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got on my '19 Dragster 800RR for the first time in several weeks and the rear brake pedal has a lot more play in it than before. Doesn't feel spongy per se (ie. pumping it does not reduce the play feel). Brakes work just a lot more play. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Get used to it. It'll stop working within 1000km.

No but seriously. The rear brakes on basically entire 3 cylinder modelrange are utter sh!t to say the least.
So if you got a bleeding kit, you can bleed the rear brakes every 1000km or so.

Dont expect to easily lock up the rear aswell if thats what you seek. It really is only to stabalize the bike under braking, and balancing the bike in slow traffic.

*I just had my brake fluid changed and bleeded and im 200-300 km further and its getting spongy already. (Tap twice to get propper pressure)....sucks big time.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get used to it. It'll stop working within 1000km.

No but seriously. The rear brakes on basically entire 3 cylinder modelrange are utter sh!t to say the least.
So if you got a bleeding kit, you can bleed the rear brakes every 1000km or so.

Dont expect to easily lock up the rear aswell if thats what you seek. It really is only to stabalize the bike under braking, and balancing the bike in slow traffic.

*I just had my brake fluid changed and bleeded and im 200-300 km further and its getting spongy already. (Tap twice to get propper pressure)....sucks big time.
Thx. Odd that the pedal all of sudden has so much extra play to it,

Any trick to bleeding ABS rears? Or can I simply do a reverse bleed from caliper to master cylinder reservoir?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hmm, I will watch my rear brake. It never has been stellar, but seems to work ok. Bleeding issue?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Wait! There's a rear brake? >:)

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Thx. Odd that the pedal all of sudden has so much extra play to it,

Any trick to bleeding ABS rears? Or can I simply do a reverse bleed from caliper to master cylinder reservoir?
I rather let someone answer who has actually done it himself.
My MV mechanic did it for me when I did a tyre change. Didnt asked him how he did the fluid change, the suck method or push method.

·
Registered
210 Posts
4000 miles on my 2019 Dragster and the rear brake will lock the back wheel easily when required, not that it is required.

My problem is that the steering damper is utter crap, very little difference from position 1 to position 5, it simply does not work.

rear indicator almost fell off due to Allen key screw vibrating loose and right hand decal sticker came unstuck, this is getting changed under warranty.
rear tyre lasted 3200 miles although at this point the metal Brading was showing all round it.

·
Administrator
20,771 Posts
ABS systems do not do well with push bleeding method. Best to pull the fresh fluid through.

The ABS pump valves do not do anything unless cycled. Air trapped in the ABS unit will sit there unmoved by normal bleeding. You must activate the pump to move the air out.....many bike mechanics do not understand this.

Part of proper full bleeding requires pump activation, either through diagnostic tool or by actually making the ABS work.

I believe the manual and tech bulletin instructions will advise you to operate the bike, after initial fluid flush, using the brakes hard enough to activate ABS function, and then bleed again.

You loss of pedal pressure after sitting indicates that, in spite of some mechanic's best efforts, some air was still trapped.

Either that or there was moisture in the fluid which boiled under operation (braking or engine heat?) introducing air into the system.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I do need them on hills. And don't call me Shirley. :grin2:
Well said, I will add I LIKE anyone from the Land of Enchantment. Durango, CO native here, and I love ABQ and the entire state. Fantastic riding roads. Good luck with brake!

Reactions: NM-1

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just opened the forum to search "rear brake problems", and this is at the top of the list.
I know it's common on these bikes, but brakes are simple, there must be a solution

I've bled the air out of mine till they're nice and firm and working well 6 times, it only lasts a few rides before there's air in the system again and I'm putting all my weight on the pedal to hold me on hill starts.
The air has to be getting in there from a faulty point somewhere.

Has anybody had any luck with a master cylinder re-build kit ? (can you get them ?)

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an update that after bleeding the ABS system (the first 2 steps in MV's rear brake bleeding procedure) it fixed my issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
There is a Warranty for the rear brake, its about 1.5 hours to complete. After you bleed the rear you have to ride it and nail the rear brake to engage the ABS module then re-bleed again. Best to have your Local MV dealer do this as it is no cost to you. We did one on an F3 this summer

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts