MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so, the 1000 uses a 190/50 rear, and the 750 has a 180/55.

but both bikes have a 6.0" rear rim (width).

i probably will end up putting a 180/55 on the rear, since i've got a lot of those in my garage - track day take off's. plus i REALLY REALLY like the 180 that i use (bridgestone bt002).

anyone have any experience with the 180/55 compared to a 190/50? what brand of tire did you have? how did it feel?

alex

just checked on the bridgestone site - they have a 190/55 - maybe that's the best of both? a big contact patch a full lean, with better turn-in....

opinions welcome!

·
Registered
10 Posts
i've bought my Brutale with a 180 on it and was thinking about switching to a 190... :laughing: opinions welcome !

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
altoon said:
so, the 1000 uses a 190/50 rear, and the 750 has a 180/55.

but both bikes have a 6.0" rear rim (width).

i probably will end up putting a 180/55 on the rear, since i've got a lot of those in my garage - track day take off's. plus i REALLY REALLY like the 180 that i use (bridgestone bt002).

anyone have any experience with the 180/55 compared to a 190/50? what brand of tire did you have? how did it feel?

alex

just checked on the bridgestone site - they have a 190/55 - maybe that's the best of both? a big contact patch a full lean, with better turn-in....

opinions welcome!
This discussion always pops it's head up every couple of months or so...nearly as much as the 65 versus 70 profile front discussion :rolleyes:

Original 750's came with a 190.............SPR's went to a 180.
New Diablo Corsas work well, especially 180 on 750's :smoking:

·
Registered
878 Posts
190's have a flatter shape. 180's have a more triangular shape to them.

190's: are good and stable for riding in straight line and/or drag racing.
180's: are the way to go for cornering, as the peaky (triangular) shape allows the bike to tip into the corner easier.

Talking to our local Michelin rep, who is at all races and track meets, and his shop has a strong local race team told me that they will NOT sell 190's to anyone interested in performance riding, end of story.

I have 180's on my Duc and 190's on my MV. I feel more confident cornering with my Duc with the 180's.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hi Sandy, welcome to MVagusta.net. :) I see you live not a million miles from me. If your ever on your bike on this side of the hills, let me know perhaps we could meet up some time. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
180v190

Hi John, yep not far from you, I get over to your side of the hills quite regularly. Helmsley at 7:30am on a Sunday is good! see you soon.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
since most things come down to preference, it seems you would have to buy both and then during a track session or something swap. then you would have a level playing field for which you like better.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all good points.

i think i'll get a 190/55 - which, as i understand it, has the profile of the 180/55 (lots of contact for cornering), but the width of the 190/50. kind of a best of both worlds.

only problem is that the 190/55 is huge, so i'll have to take some ride height out of the rear to get the suspension back to normal.

the great thing is that rear suspenion height is adjustable on this bike! the only way i ever got that on my other rides was with and after-market shock.

god, i love this thing.

alex

·
Registered
293 Posts
altoon said:
all good points.

i think i'll get a 190/55 - which, as i understand it, has the profile of the 180/55 (lots of contact for cornering), but the width of the 190/50. kind of a best of both worlds.

only problem is that the 190/55 is huge, so i'll have to take some ride height out of the rear to get the suspension back to normal.

the great thing is that rear suspenion height is adjustable on this bike! the only way i ever got that on my other rides was with and after-market shock.

god, i love this thing.

alex
If you switch to a 190/55, don't forget to change your sprocket (transmission ratio will change with such a tire) and your suspension settings (the rear part of your bike will go up).
After the original Pirelli Dragon Corsa 180/55 I switched to a D208RR, this one's really better than the Pirelli.
For me 180 is the best size (bigger isn't always better :flickoff: ) for riding 190 will look better...
Anyway don't forget to check the real width of the tires, a Dunlop 180 is almost as large as a Pirelli 190.
Have a good ride!

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 190 vs 180 rear tire debate.....

Personally I use a 180/55x17" on 5.5, 5.75 and 6" rear wheel sets. The 180 is generally lighter in weight, has a smaller but more than adequate contact patch, and aids the turning/transition of the bikes directions....so for turning especially in twistie canyons and/or tight sections of road/track, the 180 works best for most....

The 190 rear tire gives you that bigger more impressive look....it gets the pover to the ground with a larger contact patch but makes the bike respond/corner much slower...for very high speed high ways and wide open sweeping turns, it does well....But I personally would still go to a 180....

The same type of debate can be applied to the front tire. With the 17" wheel set; you can use a 120/70x17" or 120/65, or 120/60.....

The tires you use can be "tuned"/changed to change ride height, turning response and even the suspensions response to the road....( the suspension of the bike starts with the tires...into the wheel sets, into the forks/shock(s), and into the frame to the rider).....

On most of my bikes I use a 120/60x17 front....but most of my riding is in the high mountain Rocky Mountain canyons in my back yard.....and for this application, and for my riding style, I like a quick responding front end on the bike ( I also like Magnesium wheels and top of the line brakes and suspension components, and if the bike does not come with these I change to them early on....)....

The contour and "cut" of the tire as well as its shape and profile can all be changed with different tires....

Most bikes have a specific tire that works best for it....just as most riders who push the limits will discover a tire they like best for them on a particular machine, for a particular application....I have a few bikes I ride, that have a number of different wheel/tire sets that I can change depending on where/when I go ride....even the weather and temperature can affect decisions on tires used...

I strongly recommend that you discover for yourself what works best for you and/or your bike.....tires are really more a personal choice than most realize....

But if you are just a poser, and/or ride like an old lady with bad eye sight...then it really doesnot matter what you use....but then why are you on this website????

Just my old man/been there done that comment for the am....

:later: :stickpoke :cross: :conveyer: :cool:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i'm goning to fit a 190/55 to the rear - go with a bridgestone bt002 in medium, and run a 120/70 up front in medium soft.

i think that will be a good setup for pretty much any track around here in so. cal. except for maybe the streets of willow. then i'd go medium soft rear and soft on the front.

alex

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
sandy barrie said:
Hi John, yep not far from you, I get over to your side of the hills quite regularly. Helmsley at 7:30am on a Sunday is good! see you soon.[/QUOTE
Sounds good to me Sandie :)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
thanks for the good info

now i like to know which tire brand is good for 180/55/17 on F4 750?

daotoys1 said:
The 190 vs 180 rear tire debate.....

Personally I use a 180/55x17" on 5.5, 5.75 and 6" rear wheel sets. The 180 is generally lighter in weight, has a smaller but more than adequate contact patch, and aids the turning/transition of the bikes directions....so for turning especially in twistie canyons and/or tight sections of road/track, the 180 works best for most....

The 190 rear tire gives you that bigger more impressive look....it gets the pover to the ground with a larger contact patch but makes the bike respond/corner much slower...for very high speed high ways and wide open sweeping turns, it does well....But I personally would still go to a 180....

The same type of debate can be applied to the front tire. With the 17" wheel set; you can use a 120/70x17" or 120/65, or 120/60.....

The tires you use can be "tuned"/changed to change ride height, turning response and even the suspensions response to the road....( the suspension of the bike starts with the tires...into the wheel sets, into the forks/shock(s), and into the frame to the rider).....

On most of my bikes I use a 120/60x17 front....but most of my riding is in the high mountain Rocky Mountain canyons in my back yard.....and for this application, and for my riding style, I like a quick responding front end on the bike ( I also like Magnesium wheels and top of the line brakes and suspension components, and if the bike does not come with these I change to them early on....)....

The contour and "cut" of the tire as well as its shape and profile can all be changed with different tires....

Most bikes have a specific tire that works best for it....just as most riders who push the limits will discover a tire they like best for them on a particular machine, for a particular application....I have a few bikes I ride, that have a number of different wheel/tire sets that I can change depending on where/when I go ride....even the weather and temperature can affect decisions on tires used...

I strongly recommend that you discover for yourself what works best for you and/or your bike.....tires are really more a personal choice than most realize....

But if you are just a poser, and/or ride like an old lady with bad eye sight...then it really doesnot matter what you use....but then why are you on this website????

Just my old man/been there done that comment for the am....

:later: :stickpoke :cross: :conveyer: :cool:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
altoon,

I put a 190/55 on my 1000. (was a 190/50). Mainly beacuse of track days and I wanted better rubber etc.
Just looking at them on the bike is very different. The 50 is real wide and flat, the 55 is thinner and much taller.
It transforms the bike if you are into track days and fast riding in the twisties. I will stay with this for sure.
I had to drop the back down by 8mm (just measure a before and after). I had to pack up my hugger (have to fit tyre warmers you know), and I had to change the suspension. I had to put an extra turn on pre load, and a few more clicks on rebound, oh and I actually softened the front slightly. I now have a great set up for the track.I went for full on race compound, which is not a good idea for the road, unless the conditions are nice.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
This appears to be an old thread MVA,

But I asked a similiar question on another thread yesterday and got no answers, so I appreciate the information you have provided.

Cheers
Broms

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
wow, yeah, this was a bit old, but always relevant... :)

this weekend i'm changing my brutale from 120/65 and 190/50 to 120/70 and 190/55. We'll see how it goes....

If I like the 190/55, i'll probably put that on the F4 as well when they need it. I only wish pirellis here weren't so damn expensive....ugh.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
That will be good to hear TL.

When I purchased my bike the dealer said it had a new set of tyres, because at 3,500km the Dragon SC's were just about f$#%*d.

But it arrived with Diablo Corse's, the rear a 190/50. When I questioned him he claimed it was a better choice for the road, but I suspect it was more to do with $$ or availabilty.

So ever since I have been wondering about returning to a 190/55, the size that is specified for the bike.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
Broms said:
That will be good to hear TL.

When I purchased my bike the dealer said it had a new set of tyres, because at 3,500km the Dragon SC's were just about f$#%*d.

But it arrived with Diablo Corse's, the rear a 190/50. When I questioned him he claimed it was a better choice for the road, but I suspect it was more to do with $$ or availabilty.

So ever since I have been wondering about returning to a 190/55, the size that is specified for the bike.
actually, zooming in on a pic of mine shows the front is already 120/70, contrary to my dealer's guess. (can't be bothered to go downstairs and check right now).

I've got the original Dragon super corsas. They are at 5000km, front is done (on the sides). Rear seems to be mostly OK though. I am not too much of a nutter, but accelerate hard everywhere. oh well,

the dragon super corsa is the only one I see here from pirelli with a 190/55..... !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts