MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have bought this engine 409884 s. The rocker arms are narrower as with my 47 ........ s motor. Besides these you apparently possible to the camshaft, a fine adjustment of the control times. The cover for the breaker is fixed with screws 3. What do you thinkI Is it SS technology? Hope someone writes me. Regards Torsten (Jarno)

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's a true CSS engine with the specific "vernier" system to set accurately the camshaft timing gear .
The CS engine has a simple key to fit the gear.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think it looks like an cs. I can not see any diffrence to my cs engine. Someone told, the camshaft itself of the css engine ist built in two parts and fixed together in a way that it is possibel to adjust each part for itself. This connection between the sprocket and the cam with this special part which has so many holes is the same as in every 175 ohc engine.

Regards

Alexander

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
My understanding is the same as Dominique's but having said that I am not saying Alexander is incorrect - having received mine only recently, I find the head makes a different noise to all other MV engines I have experience with and for want of a better description sounds like a gravel cruncher. Looking at the design I can see why it sounds as it does.

When I get a 'new' bike I like to set it up, double check all clearances etc - so when I pop the cover off mine I will photograph it for comparison to these photos.

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is the camshaft with the double vernier- one modifies the timing between the crankshaft and the camshaft and the other modifies the phasing of the cam lobes.
Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
The cam an chips foto is that what I have meant it belongs to a CSS. Do the CSS have a 5 speed gearbox? Then it's easy to identyfie.

Regards

Alexander

·
Registered
57 Posts
it looks like ordianry cst rockers , and also the (castaletto)Carrier
the css cam is adjusteble and lift 8.8 and the solid cs will lift 7,6 mm

the cs modello sport and css are solid rockers ,, no oilfeeds in the castaletto ,
kind regards Åke

·
Registered
144 Posts
see the difference
Yes, Ake, this one on your picture looks just the same as the castaletto from my CS engine. Indeed, the other one from Thorsten's engine looks like one from a CSTL. Seems that someone has built an engine together with parts from various models. But the cam seems to be one from an CS, because of the connection to transmission of the speedometer cable.

Regards

Alexander

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys, answer from the MV Agusta museum.......

Hi Torsen
the engine number 409884 is a 1954 CS model .
This is confirmed also because it have 3 screw on the cover.

Your engine number 470223s is also a CS model made after the 1954. May be in 1957.
this is confirmed because this motor should have TWO screw on the cover.

The two motor (409884 and 470223) are interchangeable.

Yes, you can adjust the camshaft timing!
You can do this by acting on the gear of the head of the engine by rotating the gear chain
for timing degrees required and then place the pin into the correspondent hole.

Regard
Dario

·
2,154 Posts
That's a true CSS engine with the specific "vernier" system to set accurately the camshaft timing gear .
The CS engine has a simple key to fit the gear.
G, only posting this because I just picked up on your "tag line" :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf: "the only difference between etc etc" :smoking::smoking::smoking: very true :jsm::jsm::jsm:

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts