·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
160 more miles on the 910R.... only 2 complaints remain

i finally got the "good" roads around my area
hills, curves, fast and slow sweepers... roads i know well
almost 700 miles on the bike and i regularly saw 8,000 rpm
i love the bike more and more everytime i climb aboard.
i got several looks today.... i'll comment about those in the appropriate forum.

2 complaints remain..... 1 fairly trivial.... i slightly more significant

1. the grips are the SMALLEST in diameter of any bike i've ever ridden. i think that most 125cc bikes have bigger grips. The small grips causes me to tightly close my right hand to control the throttle (see #2), thereby numbing it fairly quickly. I will use my favorite trick..... tennis racket tape.... comes in 100 colors, 20 materials, 10 thicknesses, and is EASILY removed and replaced..... it'll helping with the numbing issue in more than 1 way.

2. the ABRUPTNESS of the throttle is really quite horrible. 2-3 times as bad as any BMW i've ridden (and BMWs are FAMOUS for the on/off nature of the throttle. i'll take about it at the service next week. after i get my exhaust (or buy a full Ti system) and get a PCIII... i hope that this can be DIALED OUT. you have to spend way too much effort carefully modulating the throttle than need be. i hope that this can be fixed soon... i don't like it :shocker:

that's about it
the bike is amazing
i wish i'd had this thing 10 years ago :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
593 Posts
yea, throttle is SUPER sensitive on the 910 models. i gotta keep two fingers resting on the front brake lever just to steady my throttle input.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
593 Posts
spalding12 said:
so you are saying that even with intensive PCIII "therapy" that it canNOT be dialed OUT?

no im not saying that, im sure it can be massaged, but i dont know for sure to be honest, as I havent installed one. let's hope. others can speak on this fix with experience.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Greg - I agree with you about the small diameter of the grip. If you increase the diameter of the grip, won't you have to twist your hand much farther to achieve full throttle, though?
Please let us know how it works out for you -- after a 7 hour ride today, my hand is pretty sore, too.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but this bike still uses standard throttle and idle cables, right? You can just adjust the tension in the cables so that there is some slack before the gas comes on, this should help.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Some Guy said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but this bike still uses standard throttle and idle cables, right? You can just adjust the tension in the cables so that there is some slack before the gas comes on, this should help.
I actually adjusted out the slack to aid in smoother transitions from on to off and vice versa.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Also, this problem should be mechanical in nature, not something that can be repaired or adjusted by tinkering with the fuel injection. Tuning the mixture to burn at its most efficent level should not effect the power delivery, unless you intentionally over enriched the mixute, this would cause a flat spot and cause the bike to bog a bit before it caught up with itself. If adjusting the cables doesnt do it, it may be a good idea to look into a heavier set of springs for the throttle bodies, as this is what really controls how linear the throttle response is going to be.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Some Guy said:
Also, this problem should be mechanical in nature, not something that can be repaired or adjusted by tinkering with the fuel injection. it may be a good idea to look into a heavier set of springs for the throttle bodies, as this is what really controls how linear the throttle response is going to be.
I was going to wait to reply:

Some Guy: Just wait untill you get the Brute. A common complaint is the heavy throttle pull. Remedy is to take off one of the return springs to smooth the throttle.

The other problem is the EPA (in the states) Many bikes are tested at small throttle openings. These bikes have to pass clean air testing and the bikes are really lean in this area. This contributes to the abrupt on/off throttle response.

My bike had the tendency to actually slow down when just opening the throttle slightly after entering a turn, then coming on with a bang. Dyno testing showed the bike going very lean at these slight throttle positions. The cure was to richen the area at very small throttle positions.

The bike of the year in the states (Yamaha FZ1) is now being criticised for this same abrupt on/off throttle response. Again, lean conditions are causing this.

The light flywheel of the Brutale also contributes to this snappy feeling to some degree, but fueling issues play a big part.

Let me toot my horn a little. Here is Anuccis response after having his Power Commander mapped.

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1854

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GRand said:
Greg - I agree with you about the small diameter of the grip. If you increase the diameter of the grip, won't you have to twist your hand much farther to achieve full throttle, though?
Please let us know how it works out for you -- after a 7 hour ride today, my hand is pretty sore, too.
while you are right, i don't think that there is much TURN in the grip between throttle off and "full" throttle..... so, i think that's probably a NON-issue
i surely can't ride the bike a long way with the grip so tiny
i don't want it HARLEY-SIZE, of course... but somewhere in between Harley and MV, i think

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
304 Posts
spalding12 said:
while you are right, i don't think that there is much TURN in the grip between throttle off and "full" throttle..... so, i think that's probably a NON-issue
i surely can't ride the bike a long way with the grip so tiny
i don't want it HARLEY-SIZE, of course... but somewhere in between Harley and MV, i think

I erxperienced no hand fatigue after 130 mile ride... but then again, after riding Yamaha R6, Brutale is comfortable as a couch.

I will install my barends tomorow to see if it helps with vibration and hopefully mirrors.

Throttle responce is definely sucks. I am still in the process of deciding on the best way to solve this.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ks9mm said:
I erxperienced no hand fatigue after 130 mile ride... but then again, after riding Yamaha R6, Brutale is comfortable as a couch.

I will install my barends tomorow to see if it helps with vibration and hopefully mirrors.

Throttle responce is definely sucks. I am still in the process of deciding on the best way to solve this.
i'd be quite intersted to know what "fix" comes to your mind...
spending hundreds of dollars for a PCIII and dyno tuning shouldn't have to be MANDITORY on this bike.

the horrible on/off switch connected to my throttle makes the bike quite difficult to ride fast in the twisties

·
Registered
571 Posts
Spalding12, I managed to get very good at slippin' clutch then engaging as the throttle is opened. You know, like Rossi!!! So you complety rely on your clutch to dictate and remove lurchiness! Takes practice but I've had no choice cause all my bikes sucked when it came to on/off throttle response(except the '04 R1-best fuel injection ever ridden).

This would be a temporary solution until airfuel can get his hands on your R! Then it'll be perfect!!

Anytime you close the throttle fully, pull clutch in slightly, open throttle and release clutch past lurchiness rpm's(with precision).

Anyway, I'm no expert by any means, but it's worked for me....just a thought!

·
Registered
304 Posts
spalding12 said:
i'd be quite intersted to know what "fix" comes to your mind...
spending hundreds of dollars for a PCIII and dyno tuning shouldn't have to be MANDITORY on this bike.

the horrible on/off switch connected to my throttle makes the bike quite difficult to ride fast in the twisties
How about putting carburators instead of Fuel injection?? :banghead: :banghead:

I've been thorought this exercise with Suzuki TL1000s. 9 years ago...
PC was the only thing that fixed it... At that time I was working at the bike shop, so we tried everything...

as John suggests, PC is the only thing that works, and custom map is a requirement. I am interested to see if one can press dealer to pay for the work...as technicly, bike is quite unridable aggeressively with such throttle responce.

And yes, it pisses me off a bit that after spending 13k on the bike, I neeed another 2k to make it right.

1. steering dumper $450
2. Midpipe $300
3. PCIII with map $550
4. MIRRORS!!! $400
5. Rear tire hugger $300

Total: $2k

thats not counting $300 for frame sliders and $80 for bar ends.

THANKS HEAVENS MY WIFE DOES NOT READ THIS FORUM!!!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vlad Drac said:
Spalding12, I managed to get very good at slippin' clutch then engaging as the throttle is opened. You know, like Rossi!!! So you complety rely on your clutch to dictate and remove lurchiness! Takes practice but I've had no choice cause all my bikes sucked when it came to on/off throttle response(except the '04 R1-best fuel injection ever ridden).

This would be a temporary solution until airfuel can get his hands on your R! Then it'll be perfect!!

Anytime you close the throttle fully, pull clutch in slightly, open throttle and release clutch past lurchiness rpm's(with precision).

Anyway, I'm no expert by any means, but it's worked for me....just a thought!
i surely wish airfuel lived near me...
i'd be there TOMORROW morning.... and again when my 1/2 exhaust system was installed

let me ask you this:
i DO understand your "clutch slip" method of dealing with the throttle abrutness...
but, don't you think that you are NEGATIVELY affecting the clutches LIFE?

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
571 Posts
Yeah prolly so, but so is aggressive downshifting.

Besides, every time you pull in the clutch you're wearing it anyway. Clutches are made to wear.

It's not the preffered method by any means, but it beats dropping your bike in a corner due to fear of opening the throttle. And plus, you can actually rocket out corners when you perfect it!

The best way is to dial in the injection, no doubt... but try clutch slippin', hell, you might like it.

It's temporary til it's dyno tuned.

I know I'm old fashion but I'd take a smooth carbureted bike over a fuel injected one anyday.

The fuel injected gives you way more options and has more potential of course.

'01 R1 was an awesome carbureted bike and I loved it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
spalding12 said:
well, MY wife does and she just might call your wife :jsm: :jsm: :jsm: :jsm:

:shitfan:

Honey!
i think someone hacked the forum and posted under my nick!!

i swear it was not me!!!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 36 Posts