MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm coming up on the first oil changes, i know what the owners manual says to use but has anybody used 15w-40 with good results, i can get a good deal on this oil, i use it in my supermoto which calls for a thicker oil with good results. i don't want this to turn into a long thread about oil just wanted to see if anybody uses this or tryed it before. 07 F4 1000R

·
Registered
579 Posts
I think it is because we run a higher temp, they are trying to protect us from a thermal breakdown [and then a real break down :-( ] of the oil.
I am thinking the are suggesting a lighter oil may break down faster than the heavy=ier one and will need to be changed more often. So the solution was to use a heavier weight to decelerate this decomposition leading to more servicing intervals at the expense of a pony or three.
Once i am off warranty, i may dabble in different weights (hell, i may really do it before i go to laguna this year).
Just the thoughts of a non engineer

·
Administrator
18,839 Posts
Not having a Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering, I tend to follow what the people who do and designed my bike specify. I just figure they know more then I do about what they built and what it needs.

You can buy the MV recommended AGIP oil directly from the US distributor at a pretty good price if you buy a case.

·
Administrator
18,839 Posts
Whatever you decide to use, make sure it has JASO MA specification...otherwise your wet clutch plates will be toast. Oils designed for motorcycles have additive packages designed to deal with the polymer shearing of the transmission gear teeth. Automotive oils do not. You get what you pay for. Don't cheap out.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
i'm coming up on the first oil changes, i know what the owners manual says to use but has anybody used 15w-40 with good results, i can get a good deal on this oil, i use it in my supermoto which calls for a thicker oil with good results. i don't want this to turn into a long thread about oil just wanted to see if anybody uses this or tryed it before. 07 F4 1000R

IMHO if MV say Agip 10-60 but if not avilable use a 20-50, I would go with what they say..:)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It does get up in the 100's here in summer, but by what I've been reading the MV runs hot no matter what the temperature is. 20w-50 is in the manual and its easier to get and cheaper

·
King of Bling
9,809 Posts
I would suggest going with the manufactures recommendations.. You might get clutch disengagement problems and gear change difficulties (especially neutral) ..

Oil design is so good nowadays, that it doesn’t need to be changed precautionary as often as in the old days, but still stick to the handbook schedules..

·
Registered
358 Posts
FWIW, I would not use a lighter oil than recommended since the engines run so hot and can be hard on the oil. Keep in mind also that these engines are more highly stressed because if the power they churn out.

I was trying to be frugal with my oil purchases too when I first got my MV, but I quickly found I could not find a high quality, full synthetic 20W-50 MC oil for under about $9 / quart. In the end I bought a 4 gallon case of Amsoil at about $31 / gallon (with shipping). I figure it's cheaper up front to spend a little extra on good oil than to have to replace a fried engine.

Here's a link to the AGIP site. I recently learned here on the forum that the recommended 10W-60 is available directly from them for about the same price as I paid for the Amsoil. As soon as my last gallon of Amsoil is used up, I'm switching to the AGIP.

http://www.americanagip.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_6&products_id=6

1 - 11 of 11 Posts