MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having trouble starting it up the first time when the weather is cold. It starts up, turns over, and then it dies after 3 seconds. It usually takes 4-5 tries until it finally starts up. I have already brought it in to a shop to re-sync the throttle bodies. What would be the solution to this? I've read so far in this forum that the possible solutions may be that it needs a new battery, sprag clutch, or it needs an updated map.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the spins over properly your battery is fine, but the sprag is probably not OK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, riding it after work today, the bike stalled on me a couple times on the way home as I came to a stop. Seems like re-syncing the throttle bodies did not fix that problem of the Dragster... hooray?

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Do the B3 bikes have the Cold Start Throttle lever?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No - its all ecu/sensors.

Jeremy what did the shop say about your throttles? Were they miles off/OK/thereabouts? Was it an MV dealer?

Also what country are you in?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No - its all ecu/sensors.

Jeremy what did the shop say about your throttles? Were they miles off/OK/thereabouts? Was it an MV dealer?

Also what country are you in?
One of the air screws was turned all the way in. They adjusted and resync'd all of them. This was a shop that specialized in MV Agusta, Ducati, and etc. I'm in California, USA.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If it starts up then dies after 3 seconds, it cant be the sprag. It did its job by starting the engine.

Im not sure what it could be, but wanted to comment to discount the sprag
ugh I missed that part. It's not the sprag at all.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
One of the air screws was turned all the way in. They adjusted and resync'd all of them. This was a shop that specialized in MV Agusta, Ducati, and etc. I'm in California, USA.
That is the correct answer. You can rule that out then. Serious inlet or exhaust leak? Would have to be pretty big. Other than that something random like a dead coil?

Did they set the TPS when they did the throttle screws? They should have.

Also as you're in the US there could be leak to the evap canister if you still have it in place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is the correct answer. You can rule that out then. Serious inlet or exhaust leak? Would have to be pretty big. Other than that something random like a dead coil?

Did they set the TPS when they did the throttle screws? They should have.

Also as you're in the US there could be leak to the evap canister if you still have it in place.
They did not set the TPS when they did the throttle screws. Would maybe an updated map fix this?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The TPS must be set when synching or flashing the map. The TPS (throttle position sensor) needs to be told where closed is. Otherwise you won't get accurate throttle readings anywhere - including (possibly) closing too far and stalling.

·
Super Moderator
22,639 Posts
Yes. Unless you have the software and hardware to do the deed.

Does no one read or do research (other than on a forum) anymore? The instructions for resetting TPS are in the Shop Manual for your bike.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Busted......

Just wanted to know if he had an evap cannister. I still can't believe you thought I was American.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
OK. People take them off and the bike can be left with an inlet air leak. Its not that then. TPS is 5 minute job if you have the texa diagnostic kit but impossible otherwise.

Sticking with the simple stuff could your tank vent pipe be pinched? Easy done. After a ride do you get spooky moaning noises from the tank area?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts