MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me an idea of how much the 12,000km service on a 2011 1090R should cost, approximately?

I'm getting it done at Peter Stevens in Melbourne. Just want to make sure I don't get pwnd :nutkick:

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
Ps

take some KY with Lidocaine with you:stickpoke

they tell me it won't hurt as much:naughty:

i have no idea what they charge.....i do all my own work.....because its my old ass that will hit the ground:jsm::jsm:

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
You should probably ask them before you book it in....

From memory you are looking at :

Oil + filter ( it'll be about $100 just for the oil)
Air filter
Spark plugs
Fuel filter
hub service
check everything

I'd say $600 to $1000

Call or email Trooper Lu in Sydney and ask them what they charge for a comparison, pretty sure they had a fixed price service list.

·
Vendor
5,406 Posts
Can anyone give me an idea of how much the 12,000km service on a 2011 1090R should cost, approximately?

I'm getting it done at Peter Stevens in Melbourne. Just want to make sure I don't get pwnd :nutkick:
Peter Stevens:jsm:have heard some horror stories about them,count on around $1000.00-$1500.00.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Over here that would be around €500,00

·
Registered
195 Posts
Am getting mine done tomorrow @ Castle Hill Motorcycles.
I'll give you a price when i'm Finished. After this I'll learn to do minor stuff myself.
Trooper Lu's whilst a great store. Are too pricey for me, and also out of the way.
I think alot of people have the reasoning that because its MV, they are allowed to charge alot more, or you should pay alot more.
The only thing I'm iffy on is the hub check. and I'll speak to them about it when I drop it off.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here you go

The only thing I am dubious on is my hub/bearings etc.
Michael said one side was siezed (probably from it being poorly packaged at Italia), that said, I have done 12,000km on it and never noticed a thing, not that I even know what to notice.
So I may get it looked at by someone else, or even replaced. I intend to do the Oxley next week but he said bring it in and will just double check to make sure its all good.
My rear brake also seems to of lost some bite, but i'll let them know of that tomorrow.

All in all, bike feels good, serviced bikes always feel great, like a new bike, and didnt cost me a fortune.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update on this 12000km service:

When I dropped the bike off for the service, Peter Stevens called me and told me there was an issue with my bike. They said that one of the rear axle nuts was 'finger tight', and that because of this, the rear hub and bearings were completely destroyed. They said I was lucky the back wheel hadn't come off and they couldn't allow the bike to be ridden in its current condition - so I should leave it there until the parts came in.

They told me not to worry, as it would be repaired under warranty (?!). They also said the tyres, chain and sprockets would need to be replaced as part of the normal service. When I questioned why it would be repaired under warranty, I was told "I wouldn't be asking too many questions if I were you, or you might have to pay for it yourself"! I can't understand why it would be covered by warranty unless it was a known issue with these bikes.

Also, the only people who have worked on the bike, ever, are PS and Krooztune (who tuned my suspension). I called Krooztune and they said that when they replaced the rear shock spring, they didn't have to take the rear wheel off. So that means that PS would have been the only ones to have ever touched the rear wheel nuts - when they would have tightened the chain at the first two services.

So now I've been waiting for nearly four weeks for the parts to arrive - should be here by mid-next week I'm told now.

Sheesh! It's been an expensive 8 months!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Chain and sprockets at 12000km, the service manual might call for it but it's unlikely they actually need replacing yet. Did you check what they looked like before you took it in ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I never did check them. Although I did notice that the rear tyre looked just slightly worn - it's been through a lot :)

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
There is only one nut ,that could destroy the hub,not 2 ,the other nut holds your wheel on ,and my mate has a 1090 and this nut on the wheel side was hand tight only,he did 9000 km before we noticed it putting on a new tyre,the circlip still holds it on ,he survived and had no unusaul wear,ASK THEM FOR PHOTOS OF THE REPAIR, as for the chain mine now is being replaced at 360000 km. Cheers eddy

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
12,000km bendover

wow thats expensive!

12,000km service
Oil
Oil Filter
Fuel filter
Clean the air filter
service rear hub
check steering head bearings and cartridge lock ring
general safety check over

spark plugs NOT NEEDED
chain and sprockets at 12,000km? bullshit

the chain on my Aprilia RSVR went 50,000km
the one on my 910R has 32,000km + and is fine
the F4 26,000km and is fine
the KTM is good to go at 44,000km

·
Vendor
5,406 Posts
Update on this 12000km service:

When I dropped the bike off for the service, Peter Stevens called me and told me there was an issue with my bike. They said that one of the rear axle nuts was 'finger tight', and that because of this, the rear hub and bearings were completely destroyed. They said I was lucky the back wheel hadn't come off and they couldn't allow the bike to be ridden in its current condition - so I should leave it there until the parts came in.

They told me not to worry, as it would be repaired under warranty (?!). They also said the tyres, chain and sprockets would need to be replaced as part of the normal service. When I questioned why it would be repaired under warranty, I was told "I wouldn't be asking too many questions if I were you, or you might have to pay for it yourself"! I can't understand why it would be covered by warranty unless it was a known issue with these bikes.

Also, the only people who have worked on the bike, ever, are PS and Krooztune (who tuned my suspension). I called Krooztune and they said that when they replaced the rear shock spring, they didn't have to take the rear wheel off. So that means that PS would have been the only ones to have ever touched the rear wheel nuts - when they would have tightened the chain at the first two services.

So now I've been waiting for nearly four weeks for the parts to arrive - should be here by mid-next week I'm told now.

Sheesh! It's been an expensive 8 months!
I did warn you about Peter Stevens in an earlier post.Like Noel said chain and sprockets at 12,000kms,bullshit,unless you have never lubed your chain.Ask yourself who was the last person that took the wheel off?If it was Peter Stevens then tell them you were the last fuckers that took the wheel off,you fix it and quickly.I find there story a bit bizarre,and mate ask as many questions as you want,it's your bike.Good luck and keep us informed.:wtf:

·
Vendor
5,406 Posts
Here you go

The only thing I am dubious on is my hub/bearings etc.
Michael said one side was siezed (probably from it being poorly packaged at Italia), that said, I have done 12,000km on it and never noticed a thing, not that I even know what to notice.
So I may get it looked at by someone else, or even replaced. I intend to do the Oxley next week but he said bring it in and will just double check to make sure its all good.
My rear brake also seems to of lost some bite, but i'll let them know of that tomorrow.

All in all, bike feels good, serviced bikes always feel great, like a new bike, and didnt cost me a fortune.
That is a cheap 12,000km service,but they missed checking valve clearances and no mention of changing coolant either,thats why it's cheap.If the bearing was siezed as Michael mentioned why didn't he replace it?I wouldn't do the Oxley until that is sorted.You might not make it.

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
Mitch;
doesn't matter if he lubes his chain......the lube is sealed in, well sort of:naughty:

if you ride in the rain......use chain wax

on occasion i spray some WS-40 on my chains to clean them

my 910R still has bugs on it from Bubba IV:naughty:

although i did clean the front calipers when they started chattering

:drummer:

·
Vendor
5,406 Posts
Mitch;
doesn't matter if he lubes his chain......the lube is sealed in, well sort of:naughty:

if you ride in the rain......use chain wax

on occasion i spray some WS-40 on my chains to clean them

my 910R still has bugs on it from Bubba IV:naughty:

although i did clean the front calipers when they started chattering

:drummer:
That's true Noel with the Oring chains.The chain and sprockets on MVs seem to be good quality.I find it odd they need replacing at 12,000kms.Peter Stevens has a reputation for bullshitting and most of the time they get away with it.They are probably the largest motorcycle dealer in Australia.They sell every brand except Ducati,and there mechanics have to work on all brands of bikes.I think I know what they are up to here.They will hit this guy as hard as they can with tyres,chain,sprockets to try and cover their costs with the warranty side of it.Its how they work.

·
Registered
449 Posts
......don't talk to me about Peter Stevens......$80 to plug a tyre, and I even took the wheel off and brought it to them!!!

....and that's just 1 bad experience, I won't even go into the others.......

·
Registered
14,562 Posts
???

Mitch;
my friend, chains and sprockets need replacing when they are worn out, not before

Mitch; they hit them hard anyway......they get paid by MV for the warranty work

i know you, i worked with you, your hub is an absolute steal of a deal:yo:

i sell replacement hub bearings for $34, the local bearing house, Motion Industries sells the identical bearing for $96

look at b3nje909's bill..... fuck me $44 for a junk oil filter and fuel filter.....the BEST ones you can get are $16

and they billed him for plugs too?????? Iridiums go 80,000mi in cars WTF???

·
Registered
354 Posts
take some KY with Lidocaine with you:stickpoke

they tell me it won't hurt as much:naughty:

i have no idea what they charge.....i do all my own work.....because its my old ass that will hit the ground:jsm::jsm:
It is important that you take your own lube, shop lube sometime has grit in it.

Chain and sprockets at 12000km, the service manual might call for it but it's unlikely they actually need replacing yet. Did you check what they looked like before you took it in ?
The manual also states that the bigend bearings need inspecting at 40,000km.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts