MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Could anyone please give me some advice about the electrics on my 1967 125 GTL or perhaps point me to something that is already on the net ?

I purchased the bike around 10 years ago after it had been well restored.
It ran OK then but after some months I got involved in 'other things' and the bike has stood unused under a cover in my dry garage for years.
I removed and discarded the original battery long ago.

At long last I am now hoping to get the bike back on the road - it still looks great.
One of the first things was to get a new battery.
I got a good quality one charged it up and fitted it.
No spark - I suspected a fault in the odd 'key switch' on the top of the headlight.
I checked the wiring which looks too good to be original and when I compared the colours used with those on the wiring diagram in the (Italian) owners manual it seemed to confirm a rewire had been done.

The diagram shows Blue and White wires running from the battery terminals up to the switches etc. in the headlight shell.
My machine has a red wire running to the headlight shell from one terminal and black going straight to earth on the frame from the other.
I THINK the diagram shows the white wire going to earth via the 'key switch'??? Which would make this a negative earth.
Also the rewire uses a BLACK wire running to straight earth.
So I fitted the new battery to give a negative earth - but the lack of spark makes me worry I may have got even this very basic thing wrong.

So first question :
ARE THE 4 STROKE SINGLES OF THE MID '60s ALL NEGATIVE EARTH?

I think I will be dispensing with the standard headlamp and that 'key switch' so second question :
CAN ANYONE POINT ME AT AN APPROPRIATE SIMPLIFIED DIAGRAM SHOWING JUST THE IGNITION (AND PERHAPS THE CHARGING) CIRCUITS?

Cheers.......TC

1 - 1 of 1 Posts