MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
That's great to hear. I would think there would be some interesting stories to tell after spending 120,000k's on the back of a bike .

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Pretty impressive indeed.

I've logged a bit more than that on bikes in the last decade, but to do it all on one bike (especially a Brutale) in a relatively short span is admirable and enviable.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Sure enough that is impressive. By the way I think the whole magazin seems to be a nice edition.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Nice to know I guess.

·
Administrator
20,383 Posts
Modern motorcycle engines (yes, even an MV) should be able to easily achieve 120,000 Kilometers or 100,000 miles with no problems....given proper maintenance.

I have seen more then a few Japanese sport bikes and even a Suzuki AN650 scooter with over 100K miles.

But you have to take care of them, not ride like a squid, and maintain the chassis as well. The chassis is the thing that usually has the most repairs...not the engine.

·
Administrator
20,383 Posts
maintenance what have you done to able the 120.000Km ?
My recommendations to make the engine lats that long and longer:

Routine oil and filter changes, periodic air cleaner service, valve clearance inspection and adjustment when required, Fresh spark plugs periodically, Coolant renewed periodically.
Proper operation, meaning no burnt clutches or ground down gear dogs.
And use a fuel treatment once in a while, such as Yamaha ring-free to keep carbon build-up from getting out of hand as a result of the crappy gasoline we get (in the USA anyway....Ethanol).

The chassis, on the other hand, requires much more attention.
That's it

·
Registered
786 Posts
That what I like about MV's, They are a luxury and durable product as well as being amoungst the hardest and best performers. And the design is without doubt the best out there. It all adds up to be the best bike in the world hands down.

Has anyone seen the show on Discovery where they visit the MV factory? The series looks at all the big names factories in motorcycling and the MV factory is the only one where they build every single engine BY HAND, AND they check every tolerance to check it's been put together well. Of course they are gonna run for at least 120,000K's if cared for. (Catestrophic mechanical failures aside)

·
Administrator
20,383 Posts
what do you think about the cam chain? you chan't it already
Cam chain should last quite a long time, and I wouldn't be surprised at 120K + km IF you keep quality clean oil in the engine and you are not RACING.

If you ride like 98% public roads with an occasional track day it should not be a problem. If you are stressing your engine heavily and frequently (racing or track days only) you will need to replace things like the cam chain more often.

Now...this is all just my humble opinion, based on my experience and there will undoubtedly be conflicting opinions.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Cam chain should last quite a long time, and I wouldn't be surprised at 120K + km IF you keep quality clean oil in the engine and you are not RACING.

If you ride like 98% public roads with an occasional track day it should not be a problem. If you are stressing your engine heavily and frequently (racing or track days only) you will need to replace things like the cam chain more often.

Now...this is all just my humble opinion, based on my experience and there will undoubtedly be conflicting opinions.
My cam chain was replaced @ 25,000 miles (40,000km) per the factory schedule, and it didn't need to be (though the glides did need to be).

In fact, when I had mine changed, it was the first MV my dealer had ever done (he was an original dealer since 2000) and MV USA didn't even know how to talk him through it and had to contact the factory in Italy to ship the correct tools.

In hindsight, since I had to sell the bike 1000 miles later, it was a pretty stupid decision to have it done.:bawling:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts