MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, just came back from my local motorcycle show, and had a chance to view both the 1199 and the F4RR side by side.

As a long time time Ducatista, and new owner of an F4, I have to state my disappointment with Ducati. It seems they have chosen function over form. Have you seen the mirror housings and stem? Absolutely the cheapest brushed black plastic available! Seriously ??!! Two large black wires stick up and out by the rear shock assembly on the left side! Some sort of little black plastic (same cheap material as previously mentioned) housings on either side of the engine just below the tank, which feel like they are fastened with a paper-clip. Also, that ugly exhaust system is a site to behold! Even the paint doesn't have the deep luster it once had. For the price......unacceptable!

Compare the F4RR, where they still remember pride of ownership. They still remember how to combine function with form. Everything is tight, lustrous, functional, and like a jewel. The white paint rich, smooth, and almost silky. They even took the time to paint the mirror housing!

To me, these types of motorbikes are a luxury and not utilitarian. A luxury that probably only 0.01 % of the people that own them can actually ride them and utilize their fantastical function. So why not make it special?

So to MV Agusta I say, "thanks for keeping the dream alive and beautiful". Ducati, " shame on you! Shame on you for becoming a more egotistical Japanese manufacturer!"

My '92 851 wonders what happened to his heritage?!

Just one dudes opinion.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Good read.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Seriously Destroy

but the ducati will still destroy the mv when ridden!! and i actually think the panigale looks ok!
Why does it come equipped with MV heat seeking missiles? :wtf:

Seriously put Rossi & Stoner on one each and you may see something, other than that the weekend warrior wannabes need to enjoy their bikes more & :jerkoff: less, there would be less fatalities too. These are essentially road bikes albeit very fast ones.

The 0.01% Hwood refers to below is spot on. I couldn't ride one to its limits if my life depended on it (and am happy to admit it) & you know what else? I won't allow my life to depend on it ;) For that reason, I am happy they make them special.

As a long time time Ducatista, and new owner of an F4, I have to state my disappointment with Ducati.

A luxury that probably only 0.01 % of the people that own them can actually ride them and utilize their fantastical function. So why not make it special?

Just one dudes opinion.
I liked your post, nicely written, my apologies for cutting it down, I was using the pertinent bits for devilboy for illustrative purposes.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I don't think using the MV's mirrors as an example of combining "form with function" is possibly the best part of the bike to pick!

They're a bit like having the wing mirrors of your car mounted to the steering-wheel!!!:naughty:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol

That was sarcasm dude.

How you do one thing.....is how you do everything.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
I don't think using the MV's mirrors as an example of combining "form with function" is possibly the best part of the bike to pick!

They're a bit like having the wing mirrors of your car mounted to the steering-wheel!!!:naughty:

:laughing: - Very good, well played indeed! :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Agree... sport bikes have long exceeding the skills of the mortals astride them, but there is an HP crazed marketplace who can't think through this.
I agree.

Two friends (Kwaka 1400 & '09 Repsol Fireblade owners) keep trying to recommend I get a 1000, but I am quite content waiting for the 675 as I will likely NEVER come close to meeting the capabilities of a basic 1000, let alone something as sweet as an MV 1000!

Coincidentally my friend with an 848 (having had a GSXR1000) finds the size just perfect - having done 30,000kms on it now - and backs me full way to go the 675.

Mick Doohan raced 500cc's didn't he?:f4:

·
Registered
126 Posts
The 1199 is not my cup of tea looks wise. I would say the overall opinion is that is not as graceful looking as their past bikes, or even good looking in a function over form way. And I liked the 999/749 bikes. Technically speaking the motor, suspension and lack of frame look compelling. Although if the frameless design didn't work at the MotoGP level how will it work at the street level? Not that it is apples to apples in that case.

I rode an 848 for 4 seasons and it was a great bike. The finishes on it weren't top notch though and that bugged me. Riding it was still great and logged about 25 track days on it. The 848 motor was a peach, and had plenty of power.

With that said, I traded it in just last month on a Brutale 1090, since the 848 really only made me happy on the track as of late.

Fit, finish, looks, sound, motor characterisitics, handling, and egonomics are more important to me than outright HP. Provided its got over a 100HP, it'll be a blast to try and ride the wheels off it, whatever it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts