MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and foremost hi from a newbie.

As the title suggests im on my way to investigating this very tasty machine.
Not to be a pain, i have a couple of questions to owners, and in particular those of you who jumped of a "fairing" sportsbike onto a Brutale.

The reason i ask is, my current ride is a 2006 ZX12r and i love the bike to death, but i have wrists of a 90yr old and cant put up with the pain anymore.
I do however love the power,:yo:, hence Brutale 1090rr, my concerns are getting wind blow off the thing as most of my ride is done upwards of 100kms and 100kmh.
Whats the protection like??? My dealer in Melbourne is inner city and i reckon the chance of a highway test ride is just about going to be outta the question.
Cheers & Thanks,
Andre.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Wind

It isn't bad unless you are on the plains on a windy day or get passed by semis often. They make a few versions of front fairings for the Brutale. A have one from Biondi. If your wrists are the problem, get a Brutale but take it easy on energetic take offs. it wheelies like a crazy person and it surprised me early in my ownership and I came down harder than I meant to and cracked a couple wrist bones. Still bugs me a bit, stay on the gas and ride it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hi Andre,

The Brutale has zero wind protection as standard. 120kph to 140kph is ok. After that you have to start really holding on and tuck right down. If you tuck down to far your head ends up in front of the instrument cluster and it's even worse.

They are the coolest bike though and just great in the twisties.

IMO, a fairing does not do the Brutale justice. Leave it naked and accept that about 130kph is a fast as you want to go for any distance.

Dave.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I went from faired to naked.
Pros: love the leverage of the wide bars in the tighter stuff, no appreciable helmet noise difference, easier to keep to legal speeds around town
Cons: Buffeting if you follow close behind trucks - hang back then blast past

I haven't any other issues with wind protection or having to hold on tight, but I am only 5'8" / 80kgs. Didn't feel the need to crouch down at high speeds. No issues with longer days (600kms) either.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gday Andre, Good to see another G town guy on here. Wind buffeting not a prob at road speeds up to 160ish & she gets there bloody quick. Rarely exceed those kind of speeds on the road nowadays. Do it mate you'll love it!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Agree with everything said above...about 160-180 is the limit before you feel the wind or you have to tuck down - it ain't too bad (as a comparison, an F4 you could get to 260 without really feeling the wind)

I installed a screen (from Design Corse) and it works pretty well.

Handles superbly in the twisties - a "bmx bike with a V8 turbo" is how I describe my bike to others....:smoking:

Watch those wheelies...1st, 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies are pretty easy ! :jsm: :)

Awesome bike ! :yo:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agree with everything said above...about 160-180 is the limit before you feel the wind or you have to tuck down - it ain't too bad (as a comparison, an F4 you could get to 260 without really feeling the wind)

I installed a screen (from Design Corse) and it works pretty well.

Handles superbly in the twisties - a "bmx bike with a V8 turbo" is how I describe my bike to others....:smoking:

Watch those wheelies...1st, 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies are pretty easy ! :jsm: :)

Awesome bike ! :yo:
man you will be having so much fun getting to 160 that you will want to go back to 0 and do again and again . it`s the best fun on 2 wheels :brutale:

·
Registered
825 Posts
Wind

man you will be having so much fun getting to 160 that you will want to go back to 0 and do again and again . it`s the best fun on 2 wheels :brutale:
Tony's got it summed up. Rode back from Brisbane to Townsville (1400k) at all sorts of speeds up to 240k and above. Wind takes the weight off your wrists above 100k and you can just hang there. Buffeting above 160 but I don't go there for too long. Like my license too much. More comfortable than I thought it would be for long distance. Handles great. Makes my Buell feel like a camel.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
219 Posts
ive come to the 1090rr from a trick gsxr 1000 k5.i find the 1090 has put more smiles on my face in the 600miles ive done so far that the last 5000 miles on the k5.its a compleatly different beast,i used to ride around Wales/UK at 130mph every sunday risking my life and licence so decided to go unfaired to slow myself down.to a degree it has due to the aerodynamics.i find that i can comfortably ride at 100mph all day long then 110mph i have to brace abit and over that up to 150+ its time to hold on.lol....i ride with mates who are on race reps such as cbr1000rr,gsxr 1000/750's and the like and the only time there up my ass is on the longer straights where im not bothered about going too fast anyway.im 100% convinced ive made the right move but this summer will be the clincher.i must just add i do alot of track days on a gsxr 750 so i get my high speed thrills on the track.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys for all the positive and constructive comments. Sounds like it would be hard to pass up.
Psycho, thanks mate,. I have probably seen you around, i live in Anakie, so my playground is the Brisbane ranges, which i dare say you may have had some fun with too.

I have no problem with the lower side of 160kmh, screwing the 12R well past the double ton is fun but a good way to get dead or start walking with no lic for a very long time. Comfort and good HP is what im after, oh and sh!te loads of fun too.
Cheers, Andre

·
Registered
277 Posts
No worries Andre, Brisbane ranges / Meredith area are fun for sure. If you can't get a demo maybe we can catch up for a ride. My brutes a bit scruffy at the moment had a low speed get off on the GOR couple of weeks ago, got busted ribs / shoulder blade, but only minor cosmetic damage to the bike. Might even be up for sale soon, had a rough trot with accidents lately & it's been hard on my girl.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
Brutale?

Andre;
pull the trigger, you will love it!!!!
my '08 910R, most fun bike i ever owned, including my INSANE RD-350 that did giant 3rd gear horsepower wheelies:naughty:without the clutch

wind over 150-60 is a bit tiring to say the least, wear well fitted leathers, fabric jackets double the drag and buffeting, seriously, i was amazed in the difference
Aerostich Darien jacket vs leathers......25-30kph more speed with the leathers at the same comfort level or better:)

if i want to get somewhere fast on the concrete slab.....the Aprilia RSVR.....dead calm to 200kph wind noise only:)
rain, on the helmet, arms and the top of the thighs??????
i assume my F4 will be the same :drummer:

·
Registered
301 Posts
It's funny, the cleanest my leather have ever been is after been caught in the rain. You can scrub all you like but the bug guts just doesn't come off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Psych, really do appreciate the catch up offer. Must admit though, if i cant demo a new bike, upwards of $20k then i aint gonna buy it no matter what brand.
Have taken the jacket advice on board too. I do love my textile jacket though, i will grab that over the leather one i have any day on the week.
NOW... If only i could sell my boat i could get the ball rollin.......

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have a 2001 ZX-9R (with helibars) and bought my 2009 Brutale 1078RR because of wrist and shoulder discomfort on longer rides. The Brutale is worlds better in comfort. I ride a lot more now (over 4500 miles since September) and enjoy it a lot more. Also, the Brutale has so much more torque that it makes the 9 feel very slow. The handling and brakes are in a completely different league as well.

I usually drive a bit slower than 100 but the wind has never been a problem. Actually, the 9 is more bothersome because it directs the wind straight at my helmet. With no fairing, the air hits all over but with less pressure.

Hope that helps,

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I usually drive a bit slower than 100 but the wind has never been a problem. Actually, the 9 is more bothersome because it directs the wind straight at my helmet. With no fairing, the air hits all over but with less pressure.

Hope that helps,

John[/quote]

John i know exactly what you mean, in regards to air direction on the helmet. The 12 does it also.

I hope this is not sacralidge but the other bike i want to take for a ride b4 handing over my hard earned is the BMW K1300R.. It is hard to go past 170ish hp and 140nm of torque..

One thing i noticed while reading the F4 threads were a few MV quality issue's, do these issues show up with the Brutale??

·
Registered
449 Posts

Hope that helps,

John
John i know exactly what you mean, in regards to air direction on the helmet. The 12 does it also.

I hope this is not sacralidge but the other bike i want to take for a ride b4 handing over my hard earned is the BMW K1300R.. It is hard to go past 170ish hp and 140nm of torque..

One thing i noticed while reading the F4 threads were a few MV quality issue's, do these issues show up with the Brutale??[/QUOTE]

....be MORE concerned with BMW quality issues than with the Brute.......I have done 9k on my 1090RR since November and it's perfect. The Brute will eat the K1300R through the twisty stuff because of it's light weight, short wheelbase and incredible brakes....

......try them back to back and you will know what I mean.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MVF,thanks for the feedback. Just looking at the specs i knew the Brute was more nimble. Going to check out the range tomorrow in the city.
From what i was told the 2 1090rr's they have they have both already been sold, so no rides tomorrow, just window shopping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, went "window" shopping yesterday in Melbourne, Just to get side tracked for a sec, it was really good to see so many people out and about looking at new bikes yesterday, good for the local industry i hope.

I must admit after all the the bikes i looked at yesterday it would be pretty hard to go past the Brutale 1090rr. Will have to wait till end of Feb now untill they get there new stock in.
Even have wife approval so its looking pretty good...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts